Ever had this happen? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ever had this happen?

Gary

Site Supporter
Today, I was finishing up the details on selling my fjr.
After paying in full, the buyer took uvip, ownership etc, and planned on picking the bike up tomorrow.
He called for insurance. It came up as a dirt bike.
Same at Service Ontario.
He came back to see me......steaming........
Long story short.......vin on bike matches dealership paperwork, yamaha warranty and my pink slip.
VIN on ownership is wrong.
Is it just my (bad) luck, or has someone heard of this before??
Is it a quick and easy fix?

Today, I was finishing up the details on selling my fjr.
After paying in full, the buyer took uvip, ownership etc, and planned on picking the bike up tomorrow.
He called for insurance. It came up as a dirt bike.
Same at Service Ontario.
He came back to see me......steaming........
Long story short.......vin on bike matches dealership paperwork, yamaha warranty and my pink slip.
VIN on ownership is wrong.
Is it just my (bad) luck, or has someone heard of this before??
Is it a quick and easy fix?
should be a simple fix.

i'd bring the insurance docs, bill of sale paperwork etc, and go with buyer in person to get registration re-issued with correct vin. makes sense that the insurance would likely go off your BoS docs to issue the insurance policy.

once you have an appropriate registration you can then sign it over to the new owner and get on with your life lol.

i am curious to see what the uVIP shows, i assume you left this for the buyer to take care of?

edit; just re-read your post, does the UVIP show a vin?

should be a simple fix.

i'd bring the insurance docs, bill of sale paperwork etc, and go with buyer in person to get registration re-issued with correct vin. makes sense that the insurance would likely go off your BoS docs to issue the insurance policy.

once you have an appropriate registration you can then sign it over to the new owner and get on with your life lol.

i am curious to see what the uVIP shows, i assume you left this for the buyer to take care of?

edit; just re-read your post, does the UVIP show a vin?
Simple?
I hope you're right, because someone on a 2023 blue RM5 has ownership to my fjr.
If i requested a uvip for the real vin......it's going to be another person shown as owning it.
I got the (wrong) uvip by taking the ownership I was given when I picked up my new bike.
The buyer has been refunded.........naturally, he thought SCAM......I would too.

Simple?
I hope you're right, because someone on a 2023 blue RM5 has ownership to my fjr.
If i requested a uvip for the real vin......it's going to be another person shown as owning it.
I got the (wrong) uvip by taking the ownership I was given when I picked up my new bike.
The buyer has been refunded.........naturally, he thought SCAM......I would too.
yes i just put that together.

hah.

sounds like you may need to get the dealership involved. damn!

If you bought it new from the dealership and they registered everything for you initially, then they should fix it for you. If for some reason they won't, and you have a bill of sale with a VIN matching your frame, then SO should be able to issue you a new ownership, similarly to how they do it when you buy a used vehicle privately with only a bill of sale. You might need to make an affidavit as part of that process. Best to call SO for the latest procedure.

If you bought it new from the dealership and they registered everything for you initially, then they should fix it for you. If for some reason they won't, and you have a bill of sale with a VIN matching your frame, then SO should be able to issue you a new ownership, similarly to how they do it when you buy a used vehicle privately with only a bill of sale. You might need to make an affidavit as part of that process. Best to call SO for the latest procedure.
I'll be at the dealership tomorrow at 9am when they open.

I have to say, I always check the VIN on the frame against the ownership and thought I was just being paranoid, but now you've vindicated me.
never done it, but now im paranoid. LOL

I helped junior buy a car a couple months back. It was used.
I checked/ compared the physical vin against the ownership twice, once before and once after buying it, and told him to check that, and check for any brading when he picked it up.
Never crosses my mind when buying new from a dealer.
Now I know it's ALWAYS necessary.

Oh man, this is like one of those switched at birth stories.

Wonder if dirt bike guy is riding around the Ganny with an FJR ownership...?

Wonder if both parents need to come into the hospital to get the babies switched back.

Did your FJR ever pull to the right, as if it wanted to ride on the gravel shoulder instead of the pavement?

Last edited:
Oh man, this is like one of those switched at birth stories.

Wonder if dirt bike guy is riding around the Ganny with an FJR ownership...?
My mom always said that's what happened when I got in **** as a kid!

Someone with a '23, blue Yamaha RM5 (that's on the ownership i have) is riding around with ownership for my fjr.
Unless someone botched more than 2 slips that day.

I sense a nightmare beginning.

My first contact would be to the dealership because it's their screw up, and they have access to faster SO services than any normal person would.

Also they have a relationship (hopefully good) with the local SO office so can use that to get the issue resolved.

Now...if there's another person with an ownership showing your VIN...that could be a problem, but I don't think it's very likely that 2 different dealerships SOs issued the same VIN to two separate entities.

If they did...it would flag in their system that the VIN already exists on the road and would have been caught in their system. I'm quite sure there can be no 2 identical VINs in the system registered under different owners / vehicles.

My first contact would be to the dealership because it's their screw up, and they have access to faster SO services than any normal person would.

Also they have a relationship (hopefully good) with the local SO office so can use that to get the issue resolved.

Now...if there's another person with an ownership showing your VIN...that could be a problem, but I don't think it's very likely that 2 different dealerships SOs issued the same VIN to two separate entities.

If they did...it would flag in their system that the VIN already exists on the road and would have been caught in their system. I'm quite sure there can be no 2 identical VINs in the system registered under different owners / vehicles.

Hopefully the other bike hasn't sold yet (or couldn't be sold because of the missing ownership). My guess is that the paperwork got mixed up in the dealership, maybe while uncrating. If they registered both them the same way, then the other owner would be in the same situation with Gary's ownership and nothing would have been flagged as a duplicate.

Back
Top Bottom