Dual Sport Routes near GTA | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Sport Routes near GTA

oioioi

Site Supporter
I am looking at doing some light off road-ing on the VStrom this year. Got my 80/20 tires mounted.

Anyone have any routes or light trails within 1-1.5 hours of of the GTA.
Halton area would be best. But I can travel to Guelph or Orangeville.

Please share either here or privately.
I will be respectful of all property owners and routes.

Yes there is a place, I can show you if you’re interested in bringing the mirrors next wk after Monday

Deal.

You holding out on us @ToSlow. Is it KLR friendly??
I'm up for a ride next week.. (he said inviting himself...)

I founds this.
Its called a Creemore loop.
1716126087645.png

GPX Files included.

This is a good option but I'm currently looking for something closer to Halton so I can get back home quicker on days when time is limited.

You holding out on us @ToSlow. Is it KLR friendly??
I'm up for a ride next week.. (he said inviting himself...)
I’ve not had time yet to get into the KLR, one spot if you’re in the area is 17sr east of 25.

I founds this.
Its called a Creemore loop.
1716126087645.png

GPX Files included.

This is a good option but I'm currently looking for something closer to Halton so I can get back home quicker on days when time is limited.
That route takes you to two of our trial locations. Creemore is next Sunday.

Hey!

Does anyone know of any other website that post gravel adventure roads/routes with GPX files?

I've created a few videos on the "Ride the Highland" site and plan to do a few more up there this summer

I've done small parts of the NEBDR from "Backcountry Discovery Routes" and plan to do more of that route but most of the BDRs are on the west coast of USA.
They have a new one coming up in Michigan is says on the website, not sure if it will be out this season.

Even one offs like the "Creemore Loop" "oioioi" posted under the "Dual Sport Routes near GTA" thread would be great!

I'm usually solo and on a Suzuki 650 V-Strom and relatively new to gravel so nothing too extreme for me.

Thanks,

CD

I have included the GPX file as an attachment in the thread.

There is a Facebook group with routes and another one just for GPX files.

I'll dig it up and post it here.

@Evoex @Wingboy maybe we can merge these threads.

Thanks have that downloaded now!

You could try these. We rode up to do them but it rained horribly and so we only rode into town for beer.

Here's a ride I did to check out a bunch on the west side of Algonquin. Was also on a DL650.

I did a ride to explore the fire access roads around the 507 and that was very easy and a lot of fun. All dirt if I recall correctly and no gravel.

Some further roads include the Ranger Lake Rd, Capreol Rd, Sultan Industrial Road and much more.

Lastly - check out Gravel Travel Canada - Home

You could try these. We rode up to do them but it rained horribly and so we only rode into town for beer.

I'll have a look thanks, they look a little aggressive for my V-Strom but I'll check them out

Here's a ride I did to check out a bunch on the west side of Algonquin. Was also on a DL650.

I did a ride to explore the fire access roads around the 507 and that was very easy and a lot of fun. All dirt if I recall correctly and no gravel.

Some further roads include the Ranger Lake Rd, Capreol Rd, Sultan Industrial Road and much more.

Lastly - check out Gravel Travel Canada - Home
Prefect never been there! Thank-you!

I'll have a look thanks, they look a little aggressive for my V-Strom but I'll check them out
There were 9 or 10 of us all on KLRs (except for one turncoat on an KTM) but like I said we didn't get the chance to ride it. Perhaps the klr will tackle a little more than the strom but not a lot. Tire choice would be key.

That would be great thanks oioioi!

There were 9 or 10 of us all on KLRs (except for one turncoat on an KTM) but like I said we didn't get the chance to ride it. Perhaps the klr will tackle a little more than the strom but not a lot. Tire choice would be key.
Okay that's great input, I have some new 50/50 Dunlops so I'll have a close look at the routes then

A lot of us were running the Kenda 270s which I think of as more dirt than street. @Mad Mike is a fan of these. Mike would you say the 270s were more than 50/50 dirt?
Anyone want to chime in on whether the KLR is more dirt friendly than a Strom?

Attachments

• Creemore v2.zip
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:
@oioioi @Arthritic Adventures

tried to merge threads and it merged posts, i cleaned it up a bit.

certainly was not how i intended it to work out, mb!

KLR definitely more dirt friendly. I miss mine.
Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at Jun, 16    2024    2.55.41 PM.jpg
21" Front wheel, lots of grunt for tractoring. 606s were the go to knobby for the area. Bike would go exactly where pointed regardless of surface. Lack of brakes could get exciting on a wet range road.

Vstrom more of a street bike with a little bit of dirt cred. I put lots of km on both but zilch off pavement on the Strom.

Probably did more off pavement riding on my CB305 Superhawk. Tough little beast. :rolleyes:

Great looking KLR! Yeah I would love to do more off road but my buddy that I ride with still has troubles getting away from work. So until then I'll still with the V-Strom and littler off road that I can tackle on my own.

But to you point MacDoc I don't know what bike I would buy. I love the Honda Africa Twins looks but it's such a big bike (I'm 5'8"), the Honda TransAlp seems to be so off on looks for me, very bland in comparison, just not even close to as exciting to look at. Yamaha 700 Tenerie I don't like the tiny little black and white dash on it, although it's colour now I believe. Suzuki 800DE may still be a little more streetable than off road. KLR I can get past the single disk in the front and next to no changes or updates other than paint jobs. BMW, KTM, Ducati, Aprillia and such a re just too expensive and parts too. Not much on British bikes, however Triumph seems to be doing much better on reliability, I would definitely stay Japanese.

Living in Toronto and out side of this post the Creemore loop and the Highland Pick Axe, you have to do a lot of road work to get to the BDR's, so that's a big factor too.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with options though, I'd be all over a bonified Honda 750 Africa Twin if that existed, that's for sure!!!

I rode the first half of this loop on Monday after work, awesome route, thanks for posting! Even saw a beaver on the trail. Would definetly suggest not having practically bald tires though, that made things much more difficult as you can see from the state of my bike at the end!1000005362.jpg
20240620_185002.jpg
20240620_185438.jpg

Great looking KLR! Yeah I would love to do more off road but my buddy that I ride with still has troubles getting away from work. So until then I'll still with the V-Strom and littler off road that I can tackle on my own.

But to you point MacDoc I don't know what bike I would buy. I love the Honda Africa Twins looks but it's such a big bike (I'm 5'8"), the Honda TransAlp seems to be so off on looks for me, very bland in comparison, just not even close to as exciting to look at. Yamaha 700 Tenerie I don't like the tiny little black and white dash on it, although it's colour now I believe. Suzuki 800DE may still be a little more streetable than off road. KLR I can get past the single disk in the front and next to no changes or updates other than paint jobs. BMW, KTM, Ducati, Aprillia and such a re just too expensive and parts too. Not much on British bikes, however Triumph seems to be doing much better on reliability, I would definitely stay Japanese.

Living in Toronto and out side of this post the Creemore loop and the Highland Pick Axe, you have to do a lot of road work to get to the BDR's, so that's a big factor too.

Maybe I'm just spoiled with options though, I'd be all over a bonified Honda 750 Africa Twin if that existed, that's for sure!!!
The right tool for the job.

Keep your v-strom.

The answer is a second bike.

Buy a crf300L, drz400s, klx300, or an older wr250r. 300lb bike, compared to a strom... at what? 450lbs? 500lbs?

Lighter, and far more forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Hahahah some mud roaster tails would have been great in my video too!! Thanks again for posting the route oioioi
No problem.
I attempted the route last weekend.
Gave up not long after the first offroad section.
Mistake on my part was attempting it solo.

Would love to try again with a riding buddy.

The right tool for the job.

Keep your v-strom.

The answer is a second bike.

Buy a crf300L, drz400s, klx300, or an older wr250r. 300lb bike, compared to a strom... at what? 450lbs? 500lbs?

Lighter, and far more forgiving.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Hmmm good point! I'd love to try one of those, Think I need three bike min, keep the v-strom as you say great all round bike, get a crf300L for local dirt and it's fine to ride for and hour or so to and from on the highway and a BMWGS1300 for big highway rides out to BC and west coast BDR's. It's just the banks money anyways... lmao

No problem.

I'm up for the ride. I have some camping scheduled but still lots of days free. Can you sneek away on a week day?

No problem.

I would be down as well, once I get my new tires on 👍

I'm up for the ride. I have some camping scheduled but still lots of days free. Can you sneek away on a week day?
I can plan to sneak away during the week if needed.
Helps to have a bit of a heads up.

Hahaha ya, got it a couple months ago! I hear you have an open spot in the garage....👀👀👀. I think it is the perfect type of second bike IMHO 🤷‍♀️
and youre coming from toronto proper!

Got a trailer or riding it like a man?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom