Do you ride in hot weather? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you ride in hot weather?

i do too... but it's like... "no riding when too cold, no riding when too hot... no riding most days of the year then?"

once we hit april i avoid transit like the plague to get to work so ill tough it out

In the middle of the day I won't be out, but I can still go for a morning / evening ride from Orangeville to Collingwood but I avoid anything from around 10 to 4.

Regularly ride in both extreme hot and cold temps.

Hottest ever was in the middle of the Namibian desert, temps hovering around the 50°C mark. Stopped to take a picture of the temperature guage:

DSCN0672-X2.jpg

namib2-X2.jpg

Key to survival is to drink *LOTS* of water, even if you're not thirsty. If you're feeling dehydrated, it's already too late.

We were drinking about 4-5L of water a day. And no peeing either. It all came out as sweat.

Also, make sure you ingest lots of salt and electrolytes.

Yes, I used to ride rain or shine back in Mexico.

However, I have to admit that yesterday, the heat was suffocating while I was going to the BurgerRR meet. This led me to think that I need gear more suitable for hotter days.

Hottest ever was in the middle of the Namibian desert, temps hovering around the 50°C mark. Stopped to take a picture of the temperature guage:

Looks like 55C to me. 131F. But it's a dry heat........... not humid, so no big deal ..................... (kidding)

I was in Death Valley a few years ago, 113F or 45C that day, zero humidity. Walking on the sand (probably 150F+) melted the tread on our Crocs. Unbelevably hot, like being in a vacuum. Wouldn't want to be stuck on the roadside with a dead car or bike.

Yesterday I commuted on the 401 from northeast Scarborough to the Oakville border when the humidex was around 46deg. The 401 was packed and moving really slow and often stopped so all that engine heat from 16 lanes of parked vehicles made it feel like it was 50deg or more.

I could have gone north to get home, but I wanted to embrace the misery of the 401 in that much traffic with that much heat. I had the side cases on so my butt was too big to ride how I normally ride. I could hack it for around 90 minutes, but probably not much more than that without a hydration knapsack. My bike also throws off a fair bit of engine heat so it made me really appreciate all the hot yoga classes I've been doing!

The armoured mesh jacket is a lifesaver - however the mesh pants allow too much engine heat on the legs in heavy traffic, so they are better for moving at least 30km/hr and amazing for riding the county backroads. I'm still riding everyday and loving it.

Used to ride rain or shine, hot or cold, now more of a fair weather rider.... getting old lol

Try to avoid riding in the heat. The older I get the more a have a hard time with it. Working this week I was drinking 4-5 litres of water a day and thats not out in the sun.

I prefer cold weather riding, but I do ride in the heat. I avoid urban traffic when it’s above 28f , if I can’t do that I’ll take my icy cage.

If it is the only day I’m riding for the week I will go even if too hot. I don’t commute to work anymore as the traffic just sucks with not much of a let up in the summer. Interesting if on a trip you just keep going when it is hot but hydration is the key. By the time you feel real thirsty it is too late and your night is going to suck. Like extreme cold, the heat will influence your judgement. I have a good air flow jacket and not too great airflow pants. I never realized how much heat the bike puts out until I ride with jeans, even with proper riding boots, my lower legs were on fire. I’ve also heard the argument that high airflow jackets dehydrate you more as the skin give up the moisture.
Our riding season is so short you really can’t give up any days.

33c and humid is my limit here...damn sun is soooo strong. Dry heat much different.
I found airflow through the jacket more important than the mesh. Get the sleeves wide open and the vents. I do find a back protector hot.
I might switch to my armoured mesh shirt come this warm season...dries quick and cooler. I don't like a soggy riding jacket.
Right now it's 19 -27 and sunny. Perfect riding weather. You can keep Toronto.
A soaked cotton shirt under your riding jacket can keep you cool for a little while.

I found airflow through the jacket more important than the mesh. Get the sleeves wide open and the vents. I do find a back protector hot.
I might switch to my armoured mesh shirt come this warm season...dries quick and cooler. I don't like a soggy riding jacket.
Right now it's 19 -27 and sunny. Perfect riding weather. You can keep Toronto.
A soaked cotton shirt under your riding jacket can keep you cool for a little while.

True, it's all about the airflow. Mesh just lets you keep your jacket all done up everywhere for slightly better protection in case you go down.

Nothing like popping up the face shield while rolling up the a traffic light and having the outside air blast you in the face like you are looking into a open hot oven then when you come to a stop hearing the fan relay kick on and then getting the convection oven experience on you legs and torso.
Summer in the city.

Good practice to ride in all weather condition if you plan on riding long distances in the future. I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom