Do you need an appraisal before transferring an 80s motorcycle? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you need an appraisal before transferring an 80s motorcycle?

Go back to post #7. It has the sauce.

Or, click here: Buy or sell a used vehicle in Ontario
Sort of. That page has a clear statement. That statement should be based on a law somewhere but there have been instances in the past where ontario.ca stated things as required with no support in law. This may be one those cases. I can't find a clean law that says an appraisal is required. I can't find a clean law regarding 20 years. You can make some inferences from what is written in law but inferences should leave the door open to an alternate solution to comply. That brings us back to appraisals may not legally be required but they may be one of many paths.

Sort of. That page has a clear statement. That statement should be based on a law somewhere but there have been instances in the past where ontario.ca stated things as required with no support in law. This may be one those cases. I can't find a clean law that says an appraisal is required. I can't find a clean law regarding 20 years. You can make some inferences from what is written in law but inferences should leave the door open to an alternate solution to comply. That brings us back to appraisals may not legally be required but they may be one of many paths.
Some things are guided by policy or codes, and some by law. Laws are there to protect rights and the well being of people and the state, they generally have a penalty or consequence for contravention.

Policies and codes set qualifying rules, rules of engagement. They are often accompanied by rulings that add clarity to situations (i.e tax rulings).

Some things are guided by policy or codes, and some by law. Laws are there to protect rights and the well being of people and the state, they generally have a penalty or consequence for contravention.

Policies and codes set qualifying rules, rules of engagement. They are often accompanied by rulings that add clarity to situations (i.e tax rulings).
I agree but the webpage is not law, policy nor code. Those need to be outlined somewhere with standing. On ontario.ca one location say "requires" and one says "may require" for safeties. Ontario.ca is information at best with no standing in the absence of backup documentation.

When I went to SO to register my 1980s Honda 50cc scooter I was prepared to pay for the UVIP and tax based on the bill of sale.
The guy behind the counter didn't care about any of that, I provided only a verbal value and didn't need a UVIP.
On top of it, he issued me a blue on white motorcycle plate. They're winging it a lot of the time.

Back
Top Bottom