Cornering lines | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cornering lines

It might be OK if you are on a track where there are no oncoming other vehicles or no obstruction of view across the corner's inside.
But on a public road, straight or curved, or hilly, I ride with the "Limit Point" in mind. "Always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear ahead."
AFJ

It might be OK if you are on a track where there are no oncoming other vehicles or no obstruction of view across the corner's inside.
But on a public road, straight or curved, or hilly, I ride with the "Limit Point" in mind. "Always be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear ahead."
AFJ
Late apex makes that better too. You can see further and have more margin to apply brakes in the corner without blowing wide.

Slow and steady is my motto. I want to get home with myself and my bike intact.

Too many vehicles (bikes, cars, trucks...) cut across inside corners so I never push it too hard unless I can see through the turn.

Slow and steady is my motto. I want to get home with myself and my bike intact.

Too many vehicles (bikes, cars, trucks...) cut across inside corners so I never push it too hard unless I can see through the turn.
I'm with you, I've see too many oncoming drivers/riders cut across the centerline in a corner -- last thing I want is to be punching the envelope then see a crap driver's headlights in my lane.

Maybe on a wide open clear corner where I can 100% see oncoming traffic. Otherwise it's easy-does-it in the right track -- which is still normally above the posted speed limit.

One of my rules for getting home.

A shallow entry line tends to promote more of a decreasing-radius experience, regardless of whether the corner is actually decreasing-radius or not. You enter shallow and fast, and often have to tighten up your line mid-corner when you realize that you're running out of room for the speed you're carrying. Most riders do not react well to unexpected decreasing-radius experiences, usually standing the bike up and running off the road.

Intentionally taking a wider entry line can subconsciously slow riders down to a suitable speed before the corner entry because there is "less room" between them and the threats beyond the outside edge of their lane. Slower entries are a good thing on the street.

Intentionally pre-loading your brain's "this is too fast" response into the corner approach gives you a chance to set an appropriate speed while you can still do it safely, rather than eliminating options until you're mid-corner with too much speed and lean angle. This technique is about managing yourself and your own speed, and it might conflict with managing threats from oncoming traffic crossing the centre line. But if you already have oncoming traffic in mind, you're probably not going into that turn too hot in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom