Chinese rotors | GTAMotorcycle.com

Chinese rotors

Locknload

I have to buy new rotors for my 12R and saw on Ebay a complete set of rotors (2 front, 1 rear) for 286.00. They are from China, my question is has anyone bought rotors from China and were they as good as OE? Thanks in advance, sorry if its not in the right forum.

Will you knowingly put sub standard Chineese Rotors on a 1200cc sport bike?
My brakes are pretty damn important.
I would never, ever use chineese rotors on my bike.
But hey, it's your choice.

I'd be checking junkers or used classifieds for some low mileage OEMS.

They have been installing them on cages for years without any obvous catastrophic failures.Why not bikes?And now that i think of it,how do we know our oem parts aren't from China?

Last edited:
Yeah exactly, these days it's hard to find a product that's NOT from China or Asia in general.

That's exactly it. I have had a headache with Chinese aftermarket rotors on my cage and after several swaps I just insisted on North American parts and the problem went away. Ask a reputable service center to find out what your options are.

They have been installing them on cages for years without any obvous catastrophic failures.Why not bikes?And now that i think of it,how do we know our oem parts aren't from China?

At least with an OEM name on it, there will hopefully be someone from that OEM watching over the QC procedures at the facility in China and getting them to do the job correctly. With aftermarket (as cheap as possible) there is no such guarantee.

One of my customers has a plant in China. They make all the production equipment here (to Canadian standards) and ship it over there to run it.

That's exactly it. I have had a headache with Chinese aftermarket rotors on my cage and after several swaps I just insisted on North American parts and the problem went away. Ask a reputable service center to find out what your options are.

I've had the same issue. Aftermarket (aka Chinese) brake rotors on my previous car resulted in the car eating wheel bearings, I suspect that something was not machined correctly with the way the bearings seated. Back to OEM VW, problem went away.

Yep, better off using the cardboard box the cheap chinese rotors were packaged in.

Don't buy ebay china rotors. They are terrible. I went through 2 sets as a test for my CBR250RR. First set came warped out of the box. 2nd set warped after one heat cycle. I said f* it and ordered EBC pro-lite's shortly after. Never looked back.

Ditto, except even reputable places use them on occasion. The factory front rotors on my Civic lasted close to 80 000 km. Two sets of replacements barely made it to 20 000 before wearing out. As I learned later, there were PRC pot lids, not OEM rotors.

mixed reviews on the zx forums. I would not use them but a lot of people are.

I would be very hesitant at putting chinese rotors on my bike. Just reading all the issues of chinese levers not being made to exact tolerances, who knows if they can machine rotors to the proper measurements?

As in all other things in life.

You get what you paid for.

Could not agree with you. Purchase reputable parts remember this is your brakes we are discussing unless you prefer to stop the way of the Fred Flintstone

Think about what I said for another second.

As someone who worked at a very large Canadian retail chain that sold Chinese brake rotors, let me tell you that there are definitely obvious catastrophic failures. We're talking stuff that is basically unbranded though. I don't think the OP is talking about all stuff made in China, just the mysterious knock-off crap on eBay that is actually being sold out of China.

Can't comment on Chinese made bike rotors but I installed made in China ATE rotors (didn't know at the time of purchase) from Canadian Tire on my car and they work very well. Next time I'll try domestic made rotors to see if there's any difference.

When you're talking about brakes then you shouldn't fit anything you're even remotely not 100% confident in. Brakes are the most important system on your bike.

Can't comment on Chinese made bike rotors but I installed made in China ATE rotors (didn't know at the time of purchase) from Canadian Tire on my car and they work very well. Next time I'll try domestic made rotors to see if there's any difference.

ATE is (or was) one of their premium brands. I'm talking about their economy brands (which is effectively the same thing we are talking about here for this gentlemen's ZX-12R). At best they would warp. I had some fairly angry customers present me with rotors that had cracked completely in half.

Two sets of warped OEM's by 20k prompted me to try a fleabay set.

No issues so far, they've outlasted BMW OEM's so far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom