Camping with a bike | GTAMotorcycle.com

Camping with a bike

Blues hurler

Because I've owned a cabin for 20 years, I've never gone camping, but because I've been working on my gsx650f to make it more touring friendly, I've got the bug to try a bit of camping with it. Thing is, I don't have any experience, and until I do, I don't want to blow a fortune on equipment that may get used once. So...

First, any advice for a first-time bike camper?

Second, can I rent what I need for a couple trips to get a feel for it?

Third, what the heck-all do I need besides a tent, sleeping bag and some sorta stove (and what kinda stove?)

Fourth, any groups around here do it?

I'm in east Toronto, so I'm thinking of going east or north east for my camping try-outs. Also my cabin is near Peterborough, so if I totally hate it, I can always run there or back home with my tail between my legs!

Thanks

When it comes to camping I feel less is more. I hate packing and unpacking, so the less I have the less I have to worry about. You really dont need more than a tent sleeping bag and sleeping pad. Get a small light tent. No need to go for a six person tent for one or two people. Small tents are faster to set up and warmer.

When I motorcycle camp I dont bother with food. Plenty of great places to have breakfast. If you want a stove check out Jetboil. If You plan on using out outside of North America check out the liquid fuel stoves. You can fill them with just about anything that burns. Plenty of cheaper options too.

MEC is a great local source for equipment. They rent everything you need for camping, but you might need to reserve it ahead of time.

I tried this last year. I picked up a small 2 person tent for ~$20 - $25 at Canadian Tire. I already had a compact sleeping bag + sleeping pad I bought at MEC years ago for a backpacking trip. You can get a cheap disposable stove at CT as well. Canned food works well with the stove, otherwise you'll need a small pot + spork to cook food. Make sure to keep a knife, water and fire with you too. That's about all you really need. I carry just enough to food for one night and buy more the next day.

For luggage, I had a backpack and a waterproof sack to hold my clothes. Cargo wrapped the sack, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and tent to the tail. In retrospect, a tank or saddle bag would've been handy so I could lose the heavy backpack.

I just use a cheap Canadian Tire tent, I have moto-paks huge tail roll so my sleeping bag and air mattress go in there to stay dry and the tent is bungeed to the outside. I only use it once or twice a year so I've never bothered to spend the money on camping gear.

Food I grab something after I set up, then grab some beer for the evening. Breakfast I tend to grab something an hour or two down the road.

I managed to use it twice last year, camping in North Carolina in July is not the same as October in Virginia lol. Woke up at 3am freezing is my summer weight sleeping bag.

There's some good stories in the touring sub forum on a few people's experiences.

I "car camp" during the summer.. Lots of gear.
I'd expect to pack minimal gear for a bike camping trip.

Depends on your budget. As suggested, crappy tire has some cheap stuff, you can also look at kijiji for some used camping equipment.

I've gone a very different route this time around when getting new camping equipment.

My tenthttp://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php and tarp http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php. Got a quilt for under the hammock (under quilt) and a top quilt for inside (from another place). I was perfectly comfy when I woke up one morning at -2 and ohhhh so comfortable! Best thing I ever did! Lots of info on http://www.hammockforums.net/ if your interested.

One of my stoves https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=104&idcategory=2 and I use an MSR Titan kettle to cook in. I use Heet antifreeze (yellow bottle) for fuel, can be found almost anywhere but it can take alcohol or other types of fuel I believe. Super light for hiking. On the bike, you can get away with eating on the road rather than at camp but you have the choice.

Last edited:
Just picked up a great little twig burning stove from MEC. I have fuel burning ones but they always seemed like overkill once I'm in the woods. Like I might as well of brought a tv. This thing folds up to the size of a cd case so it fits on a bike pretty easy. For sleeping bags The MEC drake and... Shoot... Another will compress to fit inside a helmet. They're great. It really depends how much you want to spend but camping gear and. Method is very personal and there's no right way. As another person. Suggested.. Rent from MEC before you buy. Decide if you're an 8 person tent kitchen sink sorta guy or a hammock tent guy. It's all good once you're out of the city and soaking up trees and a lake.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Tent City is a great place for gear. I suggest at least a two man tent. I have a one man tent and it fits one person and thats it. My gear has to stay out under the fly. Last year I picked up a light three person tent so gear and changing is so much easier. Also, prob the best thing you can get is a self inflating mat for under your sleeping bag. You unroll it and it fills up and you can blow into it to make it firmer and you dont feel any rocks or twigs under you. They range from $40 and up.

A water proof sac or napsac to stick your clothes and gear is also a good idea.

For cooking I got a pot from mec I this msi brand, inside it comes plates and the holder can be used as a wash basin. I've had this for almost ten years and it hasn't recked. Been camping with so many that buy the cheapest pans they can buy and you cook once with them and they are recked. Or ridiculously hard to clean.

The burner I have fits in the palm of my hand, cost around $40 and attaches to those fuel canisters.

Having some first aid stuff is important too. Some other things I've added to my camping gear over the years is a hatchet, knives, folding saw, calapsable shovel, rope, and duct tape. My friends always make fun of me but always end up using everything I bring:)

Oh and several methods of lighting a fire, such as strike anywhere matches, flint fire starter and a torch tyoe ligher like the ones for lighting cigars cause they are awesome for the windy days.

Me and the G/F do a lot of bike camping, we do the ride for sight weekend, Rosie's rodeo weekend, and Cow paddy boys weekend, plus Algonquin park. There is no way we could pack what we need on just the bikes, For us a trailer was the way to go, before that she drove the car with all the gear, and I road my bike, now she can ride her bike. This way we have what we need, and it makes for a very enjoyable camping trip.
I added a cooler mount, to make more room in the trailer, she likes to bring lots of stuff.
trailer8.jpgtrailer1.jpg

I bring the absolute minimal stuff if I'm camping on the bike. Small Jack Wolfskin tent (1 person backpacking tent), small sleeping bag (10 degree + only) and thats it. Eat at restaurants or things that don't need a stove (sausages over fire etc). If I'm camping on my bike its because I'm on a road trip, not roughing it in the wilderness.
For those 'roughing' it trips out on crown land, I'll drive my car to where ever I'm going and pack more robustly for a week out in the wilderness.

Thing is, I don't have any experience, and until I do, I don't want to blow a fortune on equipment that may get used once. So...

Thanks

Those were my exact words a number of years ago so I bought cheap stuff and I hated the experience. Then I tried it again with decent equipment and liked it. Cheap sleeping bags can leave you cold. Cheap plastic air mattresses keep you up all night re-iflating them and a cheap tent that doesn't go together well is a PITA. See if you can borrrow or rent some decent stuff for the first trip or until you can judge your comfort level. Some people never really adapt to cloth walls for security.

Staying close to home is a good idea for the first trip. One miserable night won't kill you if things don't work out.

Don't worry about cooking the first go around. Some granola bars and bottled water & juices will keep you alive until you can find a restaurant.

Maybe Arrowhead since there are lots of fun roads to Huntsville.

Bike camping is about driving great roads all day and quick set-up and take down. Keep it simple. Like Rafiki said, those fuel canisters are a lot easier than white gas stoves. I use stuff from MEC. I bought a inflatable mattress called Big Agnes after trying one of those foam things. They pack really tight and are very comfortable and the pillow I use is this one packs tight too:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/SleepingBags/StuffSacksPillows/PRD~5009-948/therm-a-rest-compressible-medium-pillow.jsp

A Leatherman, a little electric tape, a couple feet of stove wire, small vice grips, documents in zip lock bags, and a chamois can prove invaluable too.

Some other things I've added to my camping gear over the years is a hatchet, knives, folding saw, calapsable shovel, rope, and duct tape.
AKA rape kit

So much great advice! Thanks so much for all the replies. I think I may have had a tendancy to overpack. I'm going to get something like a Givi 35 litre top box, and I've got some soft side bags, which should be more than enough storage. Two-person tent sounds like a good idea even though I'll be solo. I'll check with MEC for rental gear. I like their stuff. A few days at Algonquin is my goal, but I'll start closer to home. Sounds like it doesn't have to be expensive. What do you all use for light, like if you want to read at night or set-up in the dark etc? Maybe one of those strap-on headlights?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Ya the strap on headlights are great. Lots of choices too. I have one from MEC and one crappy energizer one from home depot. Both work great. For pillow you could also use an empty sack and shoveler clothing in it. MEC sells one. I fit everything for 2 people on my bike including hatchet hammock food booze clothing sleeping matt even makeup for the lady. You just have to be creative with your packing.

AKA rape kit

lol you loved the rape kit...don't lie;)

Ya the strap on headlights are great. Lots of choices too. I have one from MEC and one crappy energizer one from home depot. Both work great. For pillow you could also use an empty sack and shoveler clothing in it. MEC sells one. I fit everything for 2 people on my bike including hatchet hammock food booze clothing sleeping matt even makeup for the lady. You just have to be creative with your packing.

lol forgot about flashlights. Get yourself a nice head lamp form mec, I like the pezle brand ones for about $30. Trust me when you need your hands for doing stuff you will love that you don't need to hold the light. For reading a small lamp will do or hang a small flashlight from the top of the tent so the tent is lit up. Always have spare flash lights and batteries.

I see a few people use the CTire tents. My only concern there is they seem a little iffy in the rain and the one thing I can't stand is getting wet in a tent. I suggest buying the best 1 or 2 man tent you can afford. Why? Well, in addition to keeping you dry they also pack smaller and have a better warranty.
I use 1-pound sleeping bags during the summer to save space and carry a cheap stove to cook dry foods. The last trip I did was 10 days and I only needed my side bags which were even full. Less is more when travelling on a bike as most stuff you need (especially perishable items) can be bought on the road.

So much great advice! Thanks so much for all the replies. I think I may have had a tendancy to overpack. I'm going to get something like a Givi 35 litre top box, and I've got some soft side bags, which should be more than enough storage. Two-person tent sounds like a good idea even though I'll be solo. I'll check with MEC for rental gear. I like their stuff. A few days at Algonquin is my goal, but I'll start closer to home. Sounds like it doesn't have to be expensive. What do you all use for light, like if you want to read at night or set-up in the dark etc? Maybe one of those strap-on headlights?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Here are some more tips & hints.

* I've only camped at Provincial Parks, so things may vary according to the camp you stay at or are "free" camping.

- I pack my winter base layer I use for snowboarding/skiing. Depending on time of year, it can be cold at night.Handy for wearing under riding gear too.

- get the camp shop to deliver you a bundle of wood for your fire.
- simple meals. Bring some doggers or sausages, cook on open fire with telescopic fork.
- Potatoes, Squash and corn can be wrapped in tinfoil and placed on the embers to cook. (about 40mins)
- pack plate, small pot, knife/fork/spoon, can opener,
We actually eat really well on our camping trips. We often have steak with Jacket potatoes, grilled mushrooms washed down with a glass of nice red wine. :)

Food can be stored in a small cooler bag quite easily. Also another tip for food are the "boil bag" foods. I remember reading about a member here posting his experence camping on his bike and cooking those inidan foods that just require you to boil the bag.

I have a very small sleeping bag I purchased years ago for my workds travels. Its a 3 season mummy bag that packs down tiny and weighs 1kg (2lbs for you people STILL using the American imperial system). A good 2/3 person tent should see you fine. I like the MEC tents. $$ more, but easy to travel with and they fold down small.

Make sure you park the bike on something flat and firm. The ground near a campsite can tend to be soft.

heres a website to give you ideas: http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/tips/camping/
and some threads:

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?132910-Motorcycle-Camping/page8
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?121778-Motorcycle-Camping

And dont forget the BUG SPRAY!

Back
Top Bottom