Budget Vacation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Budget Vacation

ToSlow

Site Supporter
I know this is going to be a bit of a shitshow, but I’ve got a vacation booked with my wife for the first of September. You know use it or lose it days. Was wondering if any suggestions for something that would be cheap as my big vacation is in October and really don’t want to blow the bank before that one

What is cheap, and what do you like doing.

Cottage rentals come down in price come Sept.
Pretty sure first week of Sept would be pretty cheap for Cuba.

On the other hand, doing a staycation and just planning out your days can be great fun. Do all those Toronto tourist things you never got around to. The secret to staycations is a plan so you don't just end up sitting around or spending all the time on the hunnydo stuff.

Stay away from Cuba. Lots if places can't get alcohol. Food and cleanliness can also be an issue. Not sure what you consider cheap, but there are some good deals for a 3 or 4 day Vegas trip.
I’m looking more for cheap accommodation. Flights are already covered

I’m looking more for cheap accommodation. Flights are already covered
So this is a flying vacation and you want somewhere affordable to stay? Are you looking for beaches or relaxing or . . . ? For affordability, if you pick somewhere away from tourist hell (eg interior of a country as opposed to seashore) accommodation is cheaper and you can explore some beautiful places without the crowds.

Last yr when i drove the motorhome to NS, it was over 1500 on just fuel
You don't have to go that far. Away from home gets you away from the honeydolist and becomes a vacation. You could wander along the shore of georgian bay or huron. I don't have a camper but I assume september is easier and cheaper to get sites.

So $2000 for everything except flights for 9 days and not cuba? I'd love to help you but I haven't been able to go on a trip like that in a long time. Even a motorcycle trip where I'm sleeping at the side of the road ends up more than that.
The 2000 is a round about not an exact, I’m going to check accommodation in New Orleans, hopefully it’s not too bad

Oka Quebec and stay at Gite Le 308.
Lake front property and fantastic host. (she rides)
You mite be able to talk Michele into renting her 18ft Pringle cat.

If flights extend outside North America, I'd be heading to Turkiye or Japan to make the most of some very favourable exchange rates. Istanbul is easily one of the most historically important cities in the world with incredible food and sights, and Japan is, well, Japan. Nothing else like it. Was just talking to a buddy whose wife is Japanese, and they just got back from a month there. He said things were so cheap it was hard to comprehend, especially restaurants.

My October vacation is in Japan for a few days and jumping on a cruise. Ending up in Singapore for a few days before flying home

My October vacation is in Japan for a few days and jumping on a cruise. Ending up in Singapore for a few days before flying home
That sounds awesome. I guess going to Japan before you go to Japan is out, though...

Turkiye, on the other hand... :devilish:

Any recommendations on Turkiye?
To be honest, I've never been, but it's been towards the top of our list for ages. The main problem is my wife and I absolutely love Italy, so any time we have the time and budget to go to Turkiye or Japan, we just end up going back to Italy instead.

That said, I actually have a few Turkish friends, and know a number of folks who've been. If you want the whole megalopolis, thousands of years of history, and amazing street food, Istanbul is hard to beat. It's literally the crossroads between Europe and Asia, and that shows in the culture. They also have resorts along the Mediterranean coast, particularly around Antalya. Many are expensive, but there's lots of cheaper options with all-inclusives under $100/night.

I have another buddy who did a tour across the eastern part of the country, where there are ruins over 9,000 years old. It's a number that's kind of hard to wrap your head around with the accordion way our brains understand time, but for me, I think of it in terms of to Ancient Romans, parts of Ancient Egypt was as many years before them as Ancient Rome is to us. For the Ancient Egyptians, those ruins were older than Ancient Egypt is to us.

That said, on a budget I suspect Istanbul or an all-inclusive on the Med is your best bet...

Back
Top Bottom