Bluetooth, where to start! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bluetooth, where to start!

Morrissey

So I'm old school and up to now have managed to get around using paper maps or pulling over to check my phone, memorizing a part of my route and going again.

I'm thinking about finally getting a proper GPS that will be wired to the bike so I have unlimited power. My question is, what do I get to be able to hear the directions in my helmet? I don't often ride in groups and never have a passenger. I just want to be able to pair with the GPS or possibly my phone. Where do I start? Also, I wear molded ear plugs in case that matters.

What is your budget for a GPS and helmet communicator?

I use a Zumo XT paired with a Cardo Pactalk Bold and love the combo. I think the two cost me around $850 combined. My phone is also paired to both units and is practically plug and play with very little tech knowledge to get them set up and synced together properly.

I ride with earplugs and can hear music or talking very clearly, while the wind noise is blocked out quite nicely.

I'm in the same predicament. I have a Garmin Zumo XT. I wouldn't mind finding a low cost (emphasis on low cost) bluetooth headset so I can listen to some music or possibly podcasts / audiobooks. I'm sick of hearing the thoughts in my head for hours on end.

My helmet has the precut holes for 40mm speakers.

I also don't ride in groups but sometimes take a passenger though if I have to, I can buy a two pack of something.

What are the no-name brands on Amazon like?

I'm in the same predicament. I have a Garmin Zumo XT. I wouldn't mind finding a low cost (emphasis on low cost) bluetooth headset so I can listen to some music or possibly podcasts / audiobooks. I'm sick of hearing the thoughts in my head for hours on end.

I also don't ride in groups but sometimes take a passenger though if I have to, I can buy a two pack of something.

Do a search for Bluetooth communicators on here because there was a great thread a few years ago that had a lot of excellent suggestions for the Amazon units. Many people like them very much with good reliability too.

One thing I did after a couple years was upgrade to the 45mm speakers for my unit and they have a fair bit more volume and bass, which I really liked for music. They fit the helmet just as well as the 40mm speakers and I’m using either the Shoei GT Air2 or a Neotec.

I would skip the cheap Chinese intercoms. Around six years ago I purchased two, one for my wife and other for me and they lasted less than one year.

On the other hand in would suggest the entry level Cardo or Senna. I have the freecom 2 (second cheapest model), and it works flawlessly when connecting my phone for Google maps/waze directions, and listening to music or podcast.

The battery last for a while, i think I have had 8+ hour riding days and still had some juice left

Edit: I must add that I ride with earplugs 95% of the time (except for when going to the grocery store within the city), and the volume is more than enough.

Last edited:
Do a search for Bluetooth communicators on here because there was a great thread a few years ago that had a lot of excellent suggestions for the Amazon units. Many people like them very much with good reliability too.

One thing I did after a couple years was upgrade to the 45mm speakers for my unit and they have a fair bit more volume and bass, which I really liked for music. They fit the helmet just as well as the 40mm speakers and I’m using either the Shoei GT Air2 or a Neotec.
Thanks. I'll look for the thread.

I have a very old school, probably first model, Cardo Rider. The speakers don't fit into the 40mm recessed area in my helmet (Scorpion EXO ST 1400) and neither do the FOD Sports V6 pro speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/EJEAS-Motorcycle-Interphone-Waterproof-Communication/dp/B07BPX8RH9?th=1

I'm hesitant to get anything listed larger than 40mm

Thanks. I'll look for the thread.

I have a very old school, probably first model, Cardo Rider. The speakers don't fit into the 40mm recessed area in my helmet (Scorpion EXO ST 1400) and neither do the FOD Sports V6 pro speakers
https://www.amazon.ca/EJEAS-Motorcycle-Interphone-Waterproof-Communication/dp/B07BPX8RH9?th=1

I'm hesitant to get anything listed larger than 40mm

Depending on how comfortable you are about doing it, and how attached you are to your helmet, the recesses are in material that can be “adjusted” a bit. EPS can be cut with a hot wire but I’d practice on a spare bit first. You can compress it with a spoon and pressure too in areas if you don’t want to cut it and that might give you enough wiggle room to fit bigger speakers. My helmet has small speakers that users complain about and a common mod is to cut them out and solder in a bigger set but they seem to be ok for me even with earplugs in.

I ditched my Zumo and Cardo, replacing it with an Android powered motorcycle GPS with CarPlay/Android auto. I installed a random Amazon Bluetooth speaker and gooseneck Mike in my helmet and I’m good. $200 all in, uses my iPhone.

As easy as CarPlay in your car.

I ditched my Zumo and Cardo, replacing it with an Android powered motorcycle GPS with CarPlay/Android auto. I installed a random Amazon Bluetooth speaker and gooseneck Mike in my helmet and I’m good. $200 all in, uses my iPhone.

As easy as CarPlay in your car.

Is it a totally wireless unit or is it tethered by cable to your phone? Sometimes I'd quite like to have Waze running on a screen rather than the Garmin gps but the Garmin also has more offroad stuff etc.

Is it a totally wireless unit or is it tethered by cable to your phone? Sometimes I'd quite like to have Waze running on a screen rather than the Garmin gps but the Garmin also has more offroad stuff etc.
All wireless. The gps is android, can run Waze or Google maps off-line or hotspotted to your phone. BT to headset. If you have an iPhone, you can connect wireless to CarPlay.

I have used a Sena 20S for about 7 years now and it has been great for what I need which is to basically stream music and the occasional phone call. The jogdial broke last year and I found a replacement unit for $20. Haven't upgraded to the new bigger speakers ($45), but will be doing that this summer.

Have it paired with a Zumo 595 for GPS duties.

I would 100% trust an old model from a reliable manufacturer than some random Chinese stuff.

If you're in the barrie area I'll sell you my Cardo Spirit for $40. Bought it last year, thought I'd like listening to music or podcasts while riding, but I don't.

I just bought another CARDO unit from GP with their ‘no tax’ sale.

I don’t ride often with others so just want to have music when I ride as my helmet is too loud for podcasts.

I haven’t tried to connect it with the other phone for gps directions…but I just look down for a sec and I’m good.

Here you go OP. Cheap but used. I’d buy it if I didn’t have 2 already.

So I'm hoping to get a GPS in the $400 range and a headset in the $250 range. It's looking like Zumo for the GPS is the crowd favorite but then it's a matter of which model?

As for the headset sounds like Sena and Cardo are the two best, but again, so many models to choose from.

It's all confusing.

So I'm hoping to get a GPS in the $400 range and a headset in the $250 range. It's looking like Zumo for the GPS is the crowd favorite but then it's a matter of which model?

New or used?

If new and Garmin, your only two options are the Zumo XT and XT2. The XT2 has a larger 6.0" screen, the XT has a 5.5" screen. Similar functionality, XT2 is newer and has slightly more bells and whistles like a Visual Route Planner, etc. If your eyesight is bad, choose the XT2. I have the XT. No complaints, but I don't wear prescription glasses.

If older, then your options are quite varied. Maybe try to find a Zumo 595, which was the flagship model before the XT came out. Stay away from the lower-tier models like the 395/396, the redraw rate is horrendous on those because of the slow processor. Anything older than this is basically unusable if you want to take advantage of newer mapsets which have incredible detail but need a fast processor to display them to you at a reasonable speed.

As for the headset sounds like Sena and Cardo are the two best, but again, so many models to choose from.

Your needs are quite basic, you probably don't need the flagship models.

For Sena, there's different tier models, the 50 being the flagship, the 30 is slightly older, then it goes down from there, 20 -> 10 -> 5.

I've had extensive experience with the SMH10 and 20S. The 20 is when they first went from analog to digital and the sound is much clearer, but battery life and range suffered due to this. Not that important if you're a solo rider. I would recommend the 20S, you don't really need the features of the 30 or 50.

I recently switched from Sena to Cardo and bought the flagship Packtalk Edge. Probably overkill for your needs. I took a look at their product matrix of features and functionality and you would probably do okay with a Freecom 2X.

These will work fine connected to your phone and fit easily under your helmet. 30 hr battery life is a treat. I also do not like helmet speakers.
Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at Jun, 11    2024    9.16.43 PM.jpg
I'd just get better tips.
Decent for music, enough noise supression with foam tips - very durable.
With your phone you already have a GPS...why spend more?
There are lots of Nav apps, Gmaps allows downloads of regions and MapsMe is free and always available with or without a cell network.
I most often navigate with voice only.
There are lots of options to power your phone either from a power brick or a USB from your bike.

Last edited:
My setup is pretty crude (cheap), but works perfectly. Wireless charging cradle on bike that I bought for around $50 that is hardwired to the bike. Helmet comm system from Amazon for $100 (2 pack), and my phone. Does everything I need it to without having to have extra crap to take with me.

For those using phones as mounted GPS, that kills the camera on many newer phones. Something related to optical image stabilization and vibration. An old phone is a cheaper sacrifice. Hotspot running on phone somewhere more amenable so your primary phone camera survives.

Back
Top Bottom