Anyone do the laser eye thing? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone do the laser eye thing?

Last price I got a few years ago was about $4500/eye.

Never bothered with it after opto told me it’ll work for 8-10 years before I’ll need glasses for something or other.
Wife got it done 10 years ago for around $2400/eye (lifetime touch up policy).

She's has 1 round of touch ups 2 years ago.

2 other friends have had it done, both happier to have done so.

If you want to spend more and get perfect vision close to far away there's the lens replacement option where your natural lens is removed and an artificial one inserted (kinda like a permanent contact lens) ... I'm considering that but not quite yet as my close up vision is still "ok".

Last edited:
If you want to spend more and get perfect vision close to far away there's the lens replacement option where your natural lens is removed and an artificial one inserted (kinda like a permanent contact lens) ... I'm considering that but not quite yet as my close up vision is just still "ok".
With lasers they can also shoot one eye for distance and one eye for close. Apparently your brain adapts quickly. My issue is close vision is rapidly degrading so until it stabilizes, reshooting is stupid as it uses up tissue and fix won't last long.

With lasers they can also shoot one eye for distance and one eye for close. Apparently your brain adapts quickly. My issue is close vision is rapidly degrading so until it stabilizes, reshooting is stupid as it uses up tissue and fix won't last long.
100% and I'm at the same place as you.

When I did my Lazik back in 2005 I had better than 20/20 vision. Things have progressively changed such that I now have that exact scenario where my left eye is better for distance and my right up close and I'm getting by fine but I too see my close-up getting a bit worse.

I'll do the same and wait until my close-up vision seems to have stabilized (or does it just keep getting worse with every passing year as you age and never stabilizes??).

When I went in about 4 yrs ago to discuss the lens replacement option & pricing they saw me reading stuff on my phone without glasses in the waiting room and said I should wait until I'm 60 and then re-visit ... I'm there now but I think I'll still fight it off as long as I can.

I'd likely be okay with picking up some readers for the close-up stuff as long as the far vision stays good. Once it goes as well, then that's when I'll start researching again and looking at options.

The surgery back in 2005 was the best $$ I've ever spent on myself ... there's something to be said for 'quality of life' expenditures and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks ... just do it once your vision seems to have stabilized as GG suggests. I think I was -2.5 (or was it +2.5) for a few years in a row - that's when I went in for it. Almost 20 yrs later and absolutely no regrets.

100% and I'm at the same place as you.

When I did my Lazik back in 2005 I had better than 20/20 vision. Things have progressively changed such that I now have that exact scenario where my left eye is better for distance and my right up close and I'm getting by fine but I too see my close-up getting a bit worse.

I'll do the same and wait until my close-up vision seems to have stabilized (or does it just keep getting worse with every passing year as you age and never stabilizes??).

When I went in about 4 yrs ago to discuss the lens replacement option & pricing they saw me reading stuff on my phone without glasses in the waiting room and said I should wait until I'm 60 and then re-visit ... I'm there now but I think I'll still fight it off as long as I can.

I'd likely be okay with picking up some readers for the close-up stuff as long as the far vision stays good. Once it goes as well, then that's when I'll start researching again and looking at options.

The surgery back in 2005 was the best $$ I've ever spent on myself ... there's something to be said for 'quality of life' expenditures and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks ... just do it once your vision seems to have stabilized as GG suggests. I think I was -2.5 (or was it +2.5) for a few years in a row - that's when I went in for it. Almost 20 yrs later and absolutely no regrets.
All very similar here. I was better than -2 (near-sighted) but still annoying and I didn't use contacts that corrected for astigmatism so when riding vision was slightly wonky. I never got to 20/20 and I had my non-dominant eye reshot very shortly after as it was way off (better but not better enough).

My biggest issue with the current eye situation is mechanicing. Try to look at an installed bushing or brake pad with no room to back up and get the angle and it is just a blur. Glasses may help but there may not be room for them. I have resorted to taking pics with my phone in those situations.

Last edited:
Revive an old thread.
Thinking more about lasik. I'm 71 and really tired of glasses. My night vision has become a problem.
Any newish thoughts? Price?
At your age and a thought for everyone else, it's possible that you have cataracts or the beginning of them. OHIP will pay to replace the lens in your eyes. You should consider intra ocular lens replacement at extra cost. Essentially they replace the lenses in your eyes with lenses that act similar to contact lenses but imbedded in your eyes. I had laser eye surgery in the late '90s to eliminate the need for glasses and then about 7 years ago had the lens replacement. It's expensive and it may not always be perfect for everyone, but I have no need for glasses at 78 years old.

I had my annual check up recently and finally fell off the 20/15 I've enjoyed forever.
Oddly my near vision improved slightly but I have the faint beginning of cataracts which are typical for my age ( 77 in a month....damn that marks 60 years riding mcycle) :eek:
Night vision is definitely reducing and since I wander around the house at wee hours I carry a little LED light which I can hook on to my Tshirt to keep my hands free.
Dad was still driving legally at 95 but never at night after he was 80. He had a retina problem that he had corrected in one eye in his 90s. Died before he did the second one.....he had a very good run.
Walked to the ambulance at 95, gone in two days from heart attack...had presence of mind to remind the nurses of DNR. I should be so fortunate.:unsure:

Last price I got a few years ago was about $4500/eye.

Never bothered with it after opto told me it’ll work for 8-10 years before I’ll need glasses for something or other.

My sister-in-law just had both lenses replaced last week for $8000. Essentially the same surgery as treating cataracts, as has been mentioned, and the only real way to properly fix presbyopia "permanently" if you opt for multifocal lenses.

My sister-in-law just had both lenses replaced last week for $8000. Essentially the same surgery as treating cataracts, as has been mentioned, and the only real way to properly fix presbyopia "permanently" if you opt for multifocal lenses.
Where was that if you don't mind me asking and what's she think of it?

Where was that if you don't mind me asking and what's she think of it?
"Lasik MD in Mississauga. I went for full range and the surgeon changed it to extended range based on my high myopia and shape of my cornea. She said full range wouldn't give me the desired results anyway. Quote for both was the same price"

"Too early. Feel a lot of eye pressure, but my headaches always felt pressure in the eyes. The post op appt with the optometrist said my eyes/vision will adjust and it takes time."

Reactions: LBV
finally fell off the 20/15 I've enjoyed forever.
somehow i've maintained 20/15 and i've been sitting in front of a PC for 8hrs+/day since 1992.

8 years ago i got a minor prescription to get blue lens coated glasses and i wear those anytime i'm in front of a PC. does it work? ./shrug

Here is what my own research and subsequent consultation with the Prism Eye Institute brought up, use at your risk and I am not a qualified optometrist or ophthalmologist!
Intra Ocular Lens or IOLs currently available in Canada are of these types:
1. Monofocal lenses are designed to provide the best possible vision at one distance, often covered by insurance.
2. Extended depth-of-focus (EDOF) IOLs and these have only one corrective zone. But this zone is stretched to allow distance and intermediate vision.
3. Toric lenses have extra built-in correction for astigmatism.
4. New in the "market" are Light-adjustable lens (LAL). With an LAL, your ophthalmologist will be able to adjust the lens for any leftover refractive error after your eye heals

Items #2, #3, #4 are not covered by OHIP as they are designated as "Cosmetic" and are out-of-pocket costing $8K and up.
Some of the Clinics offer interest-free payment plans and you have to ask, mostly this is not offered upfront.

Companies that offer these lenses are: Tecnis Eyehance, RayOne, Clareon, Vivity.
The surgeon performing the procedure normally selects the best he deems for your condition, research each of the offerings and talk to the surgeon!

I have heard that some people opt for near vision correction in one eye and distance correction vision in the other and allegedly this gives the best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom