any harley davidson mechanics near north york? | GTAMotorcycle.com

any harley davidson mechanics near north york?

Ha....I only know Pffaf Harley Davidson which has now moved up to Canada Wonderland.
Expect to lose mucho money!!

Oh boy, well if you bought it.
What did you get?
I only know Cycleworld that is close by, last time I was there one of the guys said they were a HD mechanic.

What do you need done that requires an H-D specific wrench ?
It sounds like a pre (or post) purchase inspection. While any competent mechanic should be able to do it, one immersed in that brand is more likely to see brand specific issues (eg they know that a drive bearing often fails or if there is a small leak at a sensor, that sensor will die very shortly or fourth gear dogs fail, etc).

Oh boy, well if you bought it.
What did you get?
I only know Cycleworld that is close by, last time I was there one of the guys said they were a HD mechanic.
an old 92 sportster. i hear they like to leak oil after sitting for a while and will be ok if ridden consistently. just wanted to know what kinda mess im in now lol.

Some of the older Harley's purposely leaked oil, they just dumped a bit from the crank case to relieve pressure, instead of re-capturing it. It's possible the previous owner added a cap can which might have to be emptied.

Good luck!

Breather leaked a bit of oil after a short ride. Bike sat for a couple of months
I would not worry unless it's puking oil, they moved the "breather tubes" to inside the air filter so it would drip oil. I got a bit of oil from my Fat bob, then I bought a breather dipstick and the problem when away.

A couple of reasons for this with a Sportster. One is over filling the oil tank and most common. The second is the umbrella valve seals get old and don’t allow the oil to flow. Ends up going through the vents.

A little bit does go through the vents all the time but, most stock air breathers route the vents close enough to get mixed with intake air and burn through on combustion.

Warm up the bike and check the oil level. Most top up the oil level *edit hot and ends up over filling. Siphon out the oil level to half the dip stick and take it for a ride. If it continues, it’s more than likely the umbrella valves or possibly the aftermarket AC that doesn’t route close enough to the intake opening.

Some folks have a catch can or filter to allow the oil to evaporate. If the oil is excessive, it’s typically one of the two issues mentioned.

The umbrella values don’t take much to do and the rocker gaskets commonly fail and weep oil and need replacement and can be done at the same time. Its a two beer job in the driveway. Maybe 3 beers doing the rear.

*edit. I did the most common thing and recommended the wrong approach. Top up oil cold to below the max fill line. Not hot! When it’s hot, the oil hasn’t drained back to the oil reservoir yet. This is why it’s common to over fill since most warm the engine and check the level and top up. For HD Sportsters. Check the level cold and don’t over fill.

Apologies for misleading

Last edited:
A couple of reasons for this with a Sportster. One is over filling the oil tank and most common. The second is the umbrella valve seals get old and don’t allow the oil to flow. Ends up going through the vents.

A little bit does go through the vents all the time but, most stock air breathers route the vents close enough to get mixed with intake air and burn through on combustion.

Warm up the bike and check the oil level. Most top up the oil level cold and ends up over filling. Siphon out the oil level to half the dip stick and take it for a ride. If it continues, it’s more than likely the umbrella valves or possibly the aftermarket AC that doesn’t route close enough to the intake opening.

Some folks have a catch can or filter to allow the oil to evaporate. If the oil is excessive, it’s typically one of the two issues mentioned.

The umbrella values don’t take much to do and the rocker gaskets commonly fail and weep oil and need replacement and can be done at the same time. Its a two beer job in the driveway. Maybe 3 beers doing the rear.
interesting that makes a lot of sense. everything the previous owner did does line up with what im seeing now and what ive read through forums. ill take a look into the umbrella valves/rocker gaskets.

thanks

my sportster always has a little oil residue where the heads are vented into the air intake. you're likely fine. If I put a little too much oil in then its a bit more messy.

Back
Top Bottom