Air Canada strike | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Air Canada strike

My daughter works in the industry.
Air Canada pilots: Highest trained pilots in the industry, lowest paid.
I dislike the pay structure but don't expect that to change. A very long time at the beginning eating kraft dinner before you move to steak wages and if you're lucky a decadeof lobster wages at the end. Imo, early wages need to be far higher as they are appalling and captain wages could be frozen for a decade or more to allow early wages to catch up.

I dislike the pay structure but don't expect that to change. A very long time at the beginning eating kraft dinner before you move to steak wages and if you're lucky a decadeof lobster wages at the end. Imo, early wages need to be far higher as they are appalling and captain wages could be frozen for a decade or more to allow early wages to catch up.
A friend spent a fortune getting his commercial multi engine IFR and after a few years got a job flying for a regional. He took a drop in pay from his previous job stocking shelves at a supermarket. One of his co-pilots slept in the hanger to make ends meet.

Now he's flying the big stuff and making the big dough. However with medicals being every six months he's potentially only six months away from being grounded due to any number of medical conditions that to us mortals would be just another pill at breakfast. I don't know what insurance they carry for that situation.

On that note, YYZ ranked second last for customer satisfaction. Time for a raise for all GTAA management. High five. Not last. Winners.

Oof. Finishing behind O'Hare, an airport with massive layout issues that no management can fix, says a lot. I'm not surprised, though. The wait for bags at Pearson is possibly the longest in the world.

We have a cruise booked out of Vancouver Sept. 21.......... Fly out of Pearson early AM 21/9 on Air Canada, board at 1, ship sails at 3. Not looking good.

Our saving grace, financially, is that we always book the flight in with the cruise company. If we can't get there we're covered for both the flight and the cruise. Once the strike starts we will contact cruise company to see if alternative carriers will work. We'd be willing the drive to Buffalo to catch a flight. Whole thing is a PITA and somewhat negates the pleasure of a vacation.

There isn't enough space here to tell you what I think about AC and the GTAA.

So, pending some other disaster or screwup, everything looks OK and we get to go on our cruise.

Oof. Finishing behind O'Hare, an airport with massive layout issues that no management can fix, says a lot. I'm not surprised, though. The wait for bags at Pearson is possibly the longest in the world.

I’ve had pleasant and not so pleasant experiences at Pearson. Weirdly, the pleasant ones are the more recent ones. Speedy passage through security, bags picked up in record time. Once I think I was out with checked bags within 30 mins from getting off the plane. The key was using the app that the tinfoil brigade kept clucking about. Made everything super efficient. I also pay the small premium for the bump up in economy that gets priority baggage/boarding etc if that’s available for my flight.

Having said that…I’d fly from Trudeau every time if it was a better price! :)

I’ve had pleasant and not so pleasant experiences at Pearson. Weirdly, the pleasant ones are the more recent ones. Speedy passage through security, bags picked up in record time. Once I think I was out with checked bags within 30 mins from getting off the plane. The key was using the app that the tinfoil brigade kept clucking about. Made everything super efficient. I also pay the small premium for the bump up in economy that gets priority baggage/boarding etc if that’s available for my flight.

Having said that…I’d fly from Trudeau every time if it was a better price! :)
YYZ Express is a huge step forward for those that use it (free booked time to clear security that gives you a really really short line). It probably makes things even worse for those waiting in the cattle section though.

YYZ Express is a huge step forward for those that use it (free booked time to clear security that gives you a really really short line). It probably makes things even worse for those waiting in the cattle section though.

If you don’t prepare it’s a zoo. Not the worst airport I’ve ever been to though. That would be Miami. The staff there just don’t give a ****. They didn’t prioritize passengers with slim connections or anything. Saw tons of people miss flights because the security line wasn’t operated correctly. Staff were just plain rude when asked anything.

Add me as another to the I mostly hate Pearson/YYZ crowd. As someone that does not drive there often if I have to pick up or drop off the roads/ramps make me crazy. It make little sense IMO and with a missing terminal 2 (one of the reasons) more times than not expletives fly when if I miss a lane change or turn or drive through a terminal. Might as well drive home to hit the reset button then try again...

If you are flying AC domestic. There is a less used security check-in on the second floor above the baggage area...
As for the pilots wages, the cost of contracting STDs on a regular basis may not be cheap. I know many, they were mostly all dogs....

Back
Top Bottom