Abba Stand? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Abba Stand?

Necessity finds a way. This isn’t mine but I can’t deny doing this in the past 🙈
post-6-84608-busa_back1-jpg.1575557

Nothing wrong with that. I've done it as well. Also used jack stands under rearsets, ratchet straps or a chain/rope hoist hung from the ceiling (or more recently my 4-post hoist). My point was lifting the rear wheel vs just spinning it.

Need to spend more time working out. Put rod through with jack stands just in front of rod. Grab the rear tire and lift.
Might work for you younger guys with good backs but I've been unable to ride for over 2 weeks due to a similar move. Should've known better as I've had lower back issues for decades.

Chiropractor 2 days ago says my L4 & L5 are locked tighter than a nun's you know what (ok, he didn't actually say that last part :ROFLMAO: ). Also, likely a slipped disc there.

X-rays done yesterday and will need to get Dr. to order an MRI at some point.

Be careful with back stuff.

Might work for you younger guys with good backs but I've been unable to ride for over 2 weeks due to a similar move. Should've known better as I've had lower back issues for decades.

Chiropractor 2 days ago says my L4 & L5 are locked tighter than a nun's you know what (ok, he didn't actually say that last part :ROFLMAO: ). Also, likely a slipped disc there.

X-rays done yesterday and will need to get Dr. to order an MRI at some point.

Be careful with back stuff.
Ouch, sorry to hear that! I've had lower back issues since I was 16...showing off for a girl at the gym....dumb dumb dumb.

However, they got much better once I started lifting regularly (without going stupid on weights) and now it's much better with a very occasional flare up.

As for lifting a bike...I wonder if I can build a beam of some sort in one of the sheds to be able to lift it more safely...I considered building a wood/plywood bike platform, but was knocked to my senses pretty quick by @GreyGhost on multiple occasions out of that idea...

And of course this classic...

Last edited:
Don't you have a lift of some sort to lift up the bike, then build a 2x4 support you slide under and rest it on? Is the idea to lift the bike up and have both wheels off the floor?
(skimmed thread)

Don't you have a lift of some sort to lift up the bike, then build a 2x4 support you slide under and rest it on? Is the idea to lift the bike up and have both wheels off the floor?
(skimmed thread)
I do...but I don't have a frame on the bottom so I'd be using the oil pan / exhaust as supports for it.

I could always just set it on the trailer and work on it there...but would need to change the location of the chock bolting in order to keep it closer to the side. I assume it wouldn't tip the trailer.
That will only make it convenient to work on one side of the bike. The other side will be 3.5 feet away.

Or both sides of the bike will be 1.5 feet away of you place it in the centre.

That will only make it convenient to work on one side of the bike. The other side will be 3.5 feet away.

Or both sides of the bike will be 1.5 feet away of you place it in the centre.
Guess I should’ve bought that Stinger for $130!

Guess I should’ve bought that Stinger for $130!
That would kill two birds with one stone.

But you would be able to do a tire swap or chain lube on it.

So that is actually 1.5 birds

Last edited:
I used something similar to get my Honda 400’s rear wheel off.

Goddammit! Just get a center stand be done with it! Sheesh!

IMG-20200324-222404041.jpg

IMG-20200325-171226781.jpg
Just curious.
Why the plank of wood under the centre stand?
More height to get the wheels out or to protect the floor?

Just curious.
Why the plank of wood under the centre stand?
More height to get the wheels out or to protect the floor?

The purpose of the plank is to raise the entire bike while on the stand. Without it, the front stand lifts the center stand off the floor.

The purpose of the plank is to raise the entire bike while on the stand. Without it, the front stand lifts the center stand off the floor.
I thought so.
I recently used the same method with the centre and front stand to take my wheels off. No wood needed with my bike.

I'm confused. Why not track stands? Cheap, effective, popular. Are there no spool threadings on the swingarm or something? And if not, Oxford sells a track stand with rubber feet that will lift from the bottom of the swingarm.

Centre stands aren't available for many bikes (the last bike I owned that had the spot for one was my 1988 Hawk GT), but are an obvious choice if an option.

Abba stands and similar are popular with racers because they allow quick suspension work, while most track stands don't. But if you just need to raise a bike and remove wheels, lube chain etc, track stands are the way to go. I have one for the front that has a pin that lifts from the bottom of the triple tree so I can remove forks, and in the rare situation I need to remove the rear shock or swingarm I put the rear up on a track stand, then use jack stands and lumber to brace off the bottom of the frame pivot (rod through the pivot not being an option if you're removing a swingarm).

@Priller the Scrambler doesn’t have spools or threaded holes for spools. The rear stand with the rubber pads isn’t good because the angle of swing arm is such that it slides off unless it’s perfectly aligned.

Centre stand is about $300 after tax. ABBA stand is about the same used, but need to find adapter for the bike.

No easy/cheap solution.

However I did find spools for it near Cambridge that have an expanding nut and can be used into the axle at the rear wheel. If that works out, I’ll just get front and rear stands.

I don’t expect to be pulling the wheel but if I keep the bike I want to replace the chain and sprockets.

Back
Top Bottom