Abba Stand? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Abba Stand?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Anyone use an ABBA stand on their bike? I'm leaning more and more toward keeping the bike and I've seen these recommended for the bike..

1717774275240.png

Not cheap in any way shape or form, but seems the only downside is the inability to work on the center of the bike as the arms are in the way. I know some here have those Ducati stands, but also...not cheap.

Does the Scrambler have a hole all the way thru the swingarm pivot point?
If it does, you can put a sturdy rod thru it on two automotive safety stands.

Does the Scrambler have a hole all the way thru the swingarm pivot point?
If it does, you can put a sturdy rod thru it on two automotive safety stands.
Yes it does. And that's def a possibility, but HOW would you raise the bike to a higher level in order to place it on the jack stands?

I have some rebar laying around (1/2" blue) that I have left over, and it should be ok...

This is primarily for oil changes, chain adjustments, chain lubrication, and potentially replacing the chain / sprockets as I'm getting enamored with the bike as I ride it more and more.

I have this lift already...

1717775260083.png
But I can't for the life of me figure out a way to place it without touching some fragile bits (i.e.: exhaust).

Maybe I should've let my dad buy that engine hoist for pulling fence posts...

Yes it does. And that's def a possibility, but HOW would you raise the bike to a higher level in order to place it on the jack stands?
I use two tall stools and two cheap scissor jacks (they're on sale right now at Princess Auto).

I use two tall stools and two cheap scissor jacks (they're on sale right now at Princess Auto).
How’s that look on the stools? Any need to put something at the front wheel to keep it steady?

How’s that look on the stools? Any need to put something at the front wheel to keep it steady?
It's about as stable as most other stands I've used. I prefer to do heavy torquing like axle nuts with the wheels on the ground, regardless of stand type, but I'm not worried about anything falling. Bolting or ziptieing the scissor jacks to the stools would make it rock solid.

In my application I'm lifting the front end of the bike from the protruding frame sliders, so the rear is usually on a track stand, although sometimes I just butt the rear wheel up against the wall.

Need to spend more time working out. Put rod through with jack stands just in front of rod. Grab the rear tire and lift. One step forward and lower. Forearm forklift improves the angles a little but costs you stability. Or back up a ramp and let it fall 1" off the back so the stands catch the rod. That is higher than I'd want it though for most things.

As for removing the exhaust for the oil change. Wtf. Is that required? Can you do a vaccuum oil change? I rarely pull drain plugs anymore in wet sump engines.

Need to spend more time working out. Put rod through with jack stands just in front of rod. Grab the rear tire and lift. One step forward and lower. Forearm forklift improves the angles a little but costs you stability. Or back up a ramp and let it fall 1" off the back so the stands catch the rod. That is higher than I'd want it though for most things.

As for removing the exhaust for the oil change. Wtf. Is that required? Can you do a vaccuum oil change? I rarely pull drain plugs anymore in wet sump engines.
The exhaust had to be pulled because there's a small metal / plastic filter on the side of the exhaust. It doesn't need to be checked each time, but I wanted to see it myself just to be sure.

It's a real pain to reach, and the exhaust has to come out as there's no way to pull the filter out otherwise due to the length.

1717779104633.png

1717779130863.png

This is primarily for oil changes, chain adjustments, chain lubrication, and potentially replacing the chain / sprockets as I'm getting enamored with the bike as I ride it more and more.

For that type of work, lifting the rear tire off the ground an inch isn't going to provide much additional clearance, and isn't necessary anyways. If you're trying to save your back, then there's no choice but to bite the bullet and invest in a lift table. Then use a vise or a wheel chock to keep the bike vertical.

For that type of work, lifting the rear tire off the ground an inch isn't going to provide much additional clearance, and isn't necessary anyways. If you're trying to save your back, then there's no choice but to bite the bullet and invest in a lift table. Then use a vise or a wheel chock to keep the bike vertical.
I could always just set it on the trailer and work on it there...but would need to change the location of the chock bolting in order to keep it closer to the side. I assume it wouldn't tip the trailer.

Can you not get a centre stand? Cavalletto Centrale Xray per Ducati Scrambler e Monster 797 | xrayproject.com

After having dicked about with various stands/lifts/dolleys and crap for a previous bike I won’t get a bike without a centre stand now as I’m not racing anything and the thing is just so damn useful.
Definitely an option, and potentially better (and cheaper) than the ABBA stand.

I held off the center stand as I was wishy washy on keeping the Duc…but I’m liking it more and more as I ride it.

I could always just set it on the trailer and work on it there...but would need to change the location of the chock bolting in order to keep it closer to the side. I assume it wouldn't tip the trailer.

You mean when the trailer is in the garage and not attached to the hitch? I'm not sure, but I'd put a jack or something under the frame to keep it from tilting down on that side the first time.

If you ever plan on removing the rear wheel yourself, you'll need either a rear or center stand. If all you want to do is rotate the wheel for chain maintenance, you could use one of these wheel rollers:

Amazon.ca

1717784148159.png

You mean when the trailer is in the garage and not attached to the hitch? I'm not sure, but I'd put a jack or something under the frame to keep it from tilting down on that side the first time.
No. I meant that the trailer won't tip sideways if the Duc is close to the edge. If it's in the center there's really no benefit as you still need to sit on the trailer and do the same work, same height, just on a trailer.

I'd connect the bike to the car when loading, then place the trailer where it needs to go, and then put stands behind it so it doesn't tip with me and the bike on it. That would be a recipe for disaster.

I've seen those bike wheel rollers before, wasn't sure it was a good idea or not.

No. I meant that the trailer won't tip sideways if the Duc is close to the edge. If it's in the center there's really no benefit as you still need to sit on the trailer and do the same work, same height, just on a trailer.

I'd connect the bike to the car when loading, then place the trailer where it needs to go, and then put stands behind it so it doesn't tip with me and the bike on it. That would be a recipe for disaster.

I've seen those bike wheel rollers before, wasn't sure it was a good idea or not.

Tipping sideways is what I meant. If you move the chock from the center to the left side, put bricks or a jack under the left side of the trailer frame just in case. If the trailer is attached to the hitch and designed for 2 bikes, it should be fine since you'd always be loading one side first. All bets are off if it's sitting in the garage unhitched, but sounds like it won't be.

Tipping sideways is what I meant. If you move the chock from the center to the left side, put bricks or a jack under the left side of the trailer frame just in case. If the trailer is attached to the hitch and designed for 2 bikes, it should be fine since you'd always be loading one side first. All bets are off if it's sitting in the garage unhitched, but sounds like it won't be.
Standard 4x8 folding trailer. Never had an issue loading 2 bikes in an offset. My bike (heavier) always went on first before my cousins 250R.

If you ever plan on removing the rear wheel yourself, you'll need either a rear or center stand. If all you want to do is rotate the wheel for chain maintenance, you could use one of these wheel rollers:
Necessity finds a way. This isn’t mine but I can’t deny doing this in the past 🙈
post-6-84608-busa_back1-jpg.1575557

Back
Top Bottom