2023 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2023 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

Hope Miguel is OK. Getting smashed in the back like that could paralyze a rider. Marquez back to doing what he does best, not giving a $#%& about anyone but himself. What is the penalty for taking out two riders in contention for a podium?

Verdict is in from the stewards. MM will have a double long-lap penalty in Argentina.

This is going to be a long season for anyone not on a Ducati.

Verdict is in from the stewards. MM will have a double long-lap penalty in Argentina.

This is going to be a long season for anyone not on a Ducati.

I think a back of the grid penalty would have been more appropriate for such reckless disregard.

KTM looks like they've done some work over the winter. New engine with a big-bang firing order and new chassis...
Miller and Binder might end up being an under-the-radar team that consistently runs top 5-6.

Nothing new with Marc, but at a certain point Dorna is going to have to accept he's not Rossi Mk.II and start holding him accountable, not just for his race recklessness but also his constant dangerous shenanigans in QP.

Heartbreak for Oliviera, as he was looking like a man on a mission for his home race. To have it snatched away like that, I can understand why he refused to shake Marc's hand when the inevitable apology tour showed up on camera. (Edit: he didn't refuse, he just wasn't in the box but rather at the medical centre)

Pecco looking incredible. He's obviously on the best bike, but I don't think he gets enough credit for how he's found incredible consistency to go with his speed. Aprilias and KTMs were capable of beating the rest of the Ducs, but only Bagnaia was able to get to the front and stay there.

KTM looking like there was some sandbagging in the preseason rounds, and I think they'll steal a few wins this year. Aprilia looking even better, with three riders showing pace. Aleix had a nightmare start and still made himself relevant, but Vinales deserves a lot of credit for a smart race, and picking up Aprilia's first MotoGP silver medal.

Less happy has to be Quartararo, who usually goes well at Portimao. If he can't beat the front there, he may seriously struggle at less traditionally Yamaha-friendly tracks...

Only Honda is in even more trouble.

Last edited:
I know iam late to this after weekend, but happy to note that against all non-believers predictions my boy is second haha, nice to have that ducati army split in half on the podium :) i might actually watch this season after all

I know iam late to this after weekend, but happy to note that against all non-believers predictions my boy is second haha, nice to have that ducati army split in half on the podium :) i might actually watch this season after all

15a4df94-3bb6-43dd-935f-81ea04641999_text.gif

It's gonna be a looong season. I also hope that Ducati doesn't dominate.

2nd race of the season and we're down to 18 riders

We're probably going to see more of Bradl, Pirro, Pedrosa and Crutchlow this season than might have been expected. Maybe they'll have to pull Dovisioso and Rossi out of retirement? Some of our local race series have the Old Boys/Folks racing class...

Stewards revised wording on Marc's penalty, now it's next event he enters. Of course, now the speculation is he'll do a few parade laps in Argentina so he gets it out of the way before retiring so he can go to his beloved COTA without any disadvantage...

RNF have come out and said what most feel about the penalty:
RNF demand Stewards impose harsher penalties after Marquez-Oliveira clash

And Puig seems to think the incident was unavoidable lol:
Honda boss leaps to Marc Marquez defence: “Impossible to avoid” crash
Double Long Lap is a joke consequence for Marquez’s actions.
As others have mentioned, there’s a good chance he will do 1 lap at least 1 FP session, 1 lap in sprint and 1 lap in race. Gets rid of the double long lap for COTA where he shines.

easy way to get around the penalty considering his injury will make it unlikely he can actuallly ride hard in Argentina.

The saga continues:

To me, this is most likely a cynical delay tactic to push the penalty off long enough that they can race at COTA without penalty.

Or, it gives them an excuse to do just enough in Argentina to serve the penalty while crying about persecution, though with Marquez having had surgery on his hand, he may not be able to pass medical (even though passing medical is ridiculously easy).

Either way, so much for Marc's alligator tears around deserving the penalty and being so, so sorry, I swear...

In my opinion the FIM most of the time are incompetent.. last year Fabio Q went down pushing Alex E in the gravel trap but he manage and rejoined the race, a week later Fabio Q had a long penalty lap ok that's fine, last week similar incident happened with Marini knocking down Bastianini causing a broken scapola! Did Marini had a penalty long lap? No!!!! So where is the consistency of the FIM?

Let's hope in Austin the 3amigos are back racing- MM -EB and M Oliveira😎

Last edited:
In my opinion the FIM most of the time are incompetent.. last year Fabio Q went down pushing Alex E in the gravel trap but he manage and rejoined the race, a week later Fabio Q had a long penalty lap ok that's fine, last week similar incident happened with Marini knocking down Bastianini causing a broken scapola! Did Marini had a penalty long lap? No!!!! So where is the consistency of the FIM?

They've apparently reset the standards this year, with progressive levels of punishment per infraction, starting with LLP's, then back of grid, then starting from pit lane, then total ban for a round. I thought Quartararo's penalty last year was valid (even if it ended up barely being a penalty, as the LLP at the next race cost him almost nothing) as he made a lunge on the inside without having the line and knocked Aleix out of the way. Mir did something similar to Fabio at Portimao and was subsequently punished.

I haven't watched the replays back, but Simon Crafar was arguing passionately online that Marini's crash was different, because he had the line and was actually ahead when he crashed mid-corner, a product of too much lean angle, where the other incidents were riders who didn't have the line and tried to force their way in. Taking out Bastianini was an unfortunate consequence, but it was a different sort of incident that they're not punishing.

Far be it from me to defend these stewards, but that's how it was explained to me as the difference. Aside from the seemingly random application of the rules, my biggest beef with this group is they don't bother to explain the reasoning behind their decisions. When Mike Webb ran the show, he would give detailed explanations of his decisions, so even if you disagreed, you could at least understand the logic. With the current group, you're left guessing as to how they saw things, which only leads to anger...

Back
Top Bottom