Yamaha R3 Cold Start Sound Okay? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yamaha R3 Cold Start Sound Okay?

Nibs

Hello,

New rider going to buy first bike. I had someone send me a video of their 2019 r3 cold start and I'm not sure if it's idleing a little high or anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Sounds ok to me...

Awfully nice of the seller to do that..
Sounds kinda lazy of the buyer to not inspect the bike in person lol.

Out of curiosity, is there an issue with R3's that you can tell when cold started? What were you expecting to hear/see? Otherwise, best to bring someone with you to see it who knows these bikes specifically and what to look for. Over and above the usual stuff, of course.

Sounds ok to me...

Well, that's obviously the intention once I'm able to get out and see the bike. It's a long drive for me and I've never purchased one before. I appreciate the help though!

Out of curiosity, is there an issue with R3's that you can tell when cold started? What were you expecting to hear/see? Otherwise, best to bring someone with you to see it who knows these bikes specifically and what to look for. Over and above the usual stuff, of course.
I'm not sure, I'm new to riding and don't have anyone that knows much about bikes. I just thought it was common practice to make sure a bike starts well from cold is all. Thanks for the reply!

Sounds ok to me...

Oh, I have one more question if you wouldn't mind helping me. Where it shows the vin, it says Yamaha Indonesia as the bike was manufactured there I'm sure. That wouldn't cause any issues when registering it in Canada or anything would it? I know that may be a stupid question but I'm honestly very unknowledgable when it comes to motorcycles. I just got my m2 a month ago and unfortunately I don't know anyone that knows much about them either.

Oh, I have one more question if you wouldn't mind helping me. Where it shows the vin, it says Yamaha Indonesia as the bike was manufactured there I'm sure. That wouldn't cause any issues when registering it in Canada or anything would it? I know that may be a stupid question but I'm honestly very unknowledgable when it comes to motorcycles. I just got my m2 a month ago and unfortunately I don't know anyone that knows much about them either.
They are all made in Indonesia.

Not an issue.

When evaluating a cold start, you would be looking for things like:
-struggling to start
-struggling to run (LOW rpm)
-noises/ticks that go away once warmed up (pretty rare thing to happen on motorcycles - more common on cars that have hydraulic lifters and/or hydraulic chain tensioners)
-hanging starter

There is no evidence of anything wrong with that R3 in that video

When evaluating a cold start, you would be looking for things like:
-struggling to start
-struggling to run (LOW rpm)
-noises/ticks that go away once warmed up (pretty rare thing to happen on motorcycles - more common on cars that have hydraulic lifters and/or hydraulic chain tensioners)
-hanging starter

There is no evidence of anything wrong with that R3 in that video
Thanks for the help, I'll keep all that in mind from now on.

Most electronic fuel injected machines will have a slightly high or 'hunting' idle until they are fully warmed up. No cause for concern.

Sounds totally normal.
Hey, I was curious if you wouldn't mind answering a pricing question for me. Do you think that a 2015 R3 with 30k km's is worth 4.3k cdn? If it runs well and is in good condition? I want to go look at this bike but I want to make a fair offer.

Hey, I was curious if you wouldn't mind answering a pricing question for me. Do you think that a 2015 R3 with 30k km's is worth 4.3k cdn? If it runs well and is in good condition? I want to go look at this bike but I want to make a fair offer.
Sounds to be on par with the market.

Scroll through FB marketplace and Kijiji and see what others are asking for same year and similar condition.
Base your price on that.

Last edited:
Sound to be on par with the market.

Scroll through FB marketplace and Kijiji and see what others are asking for same year and similar condition.
Base your price on that.
Thanks for the answer, yeah that's the offer I was going to make since it seemed fair from what I've seen on Kijiji an Marketplace. My only hesitance is the 30k km's since it would be harder for me to resell in a few years for a decent price after I've learned to ride and want to upgrade.

Thanks for the answer, yeah that's the offer I was going to make since it seemed fair from what I've seen on Kijiji an Marketplace. My only hesitance is the 30k km's since it would be harder for me to resell in a few years for a decent price after I've learned to ride and want to upgrade.
Don't worry about the 30K.
These bikes/engine can take another 30K+ no problem.

Actually most bikes can handle 100's of kms with regular maintenance .

Not sure why we are all so obsessed with low kms bikes and can scared away once the bike hits more than 20K.

Go in with a $4K offer. Ride it for 2-3 years, sell if for $3-3.5K and you just rented a bike for a $1000 while gaining a bunch of experience.
He may take the $4K if it has been sitting for a while and wants it gone.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the 30K.
These bikes/engine can take another 30K+ no problem.

Actually most bikes can handle 100's of kms with regular maintenance .

Not sure why we are all so obsessed with low kms bikes and can scared one the bike kits more than 20K.

Go in with a $4K offer. Ride it for 2-3 years, sell if for $3-3.5K and you just rented a bike for a $1000 while gaining a bunch of experience.
He may take the $4K if it has been sitting for a while and wants it gone.
I really appreciate the answers! Yeah for me personally it's just because it's my first bike and I don't have the experience to tell if it's been well maintained for those 30k so I'm just weary. I would buy a bike with much higher km's if I could tell the bike was well maintained and could still run great for many more. That will hopefully come with experience though.

Back
Top Bottom