Where to go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to go?

Shaggy

If you could only go on one ride this year, where would you go? I'm looking for somewhere I could get to in a day or less.

You're in Markham? I'd go north through Fenelon Falls and Coboconk to Algonquin. Ride through the park, then come back via Bancroft, Gooderham and Bobcaygeon. Long day, but a great ride. A shorter, mellower option: take the backroads to Prince Edward County. Tour the County, have lunch in Picton, ride home.

You're in Markham? I'd go north through Fenelon Falls and Coboconk to Algonquin. Ride through the park, then come back via Bancroft, Gooderham and Bobcaygeon. Long day, but a great ride. A shorter, mellower option: take the backroads to Prince Edward County. Tour the County, have lunch in Picton, ride home.

Might end up doing that and camp somewhere in Algonquin for a night. I've been to the 507 and elephant lake rd area and was already considering going back there.

Just a day trip or have a few days in one area? If its a few days, I would say the Adirondacks. Amazing roads, twists, turns, and scenery.

wonderings - what route would you suggest to the Adirondacks? Thxs

Depends on where your starting I guess. I prefer the roads in the States, and hate travelling via the 401, so I went along a route similar to this. I just punched in Kitchener to Old Forge, NY which is a great little town just inside the western part of the Adirondacks. I think once I crossed the border I put in no highways or interstates in my GPS, but its been a while since I was out that way.

From Kitchener its about 550 kms, so a very easy half day ride and barely over a tank of gas, depending on the bike

Screenshot2011-07-15at32748PM.png

While in the Adirondacks, any road is a good road from my experience. About 4 years ago, travelling home through the Adirondacks and decided to head north to Canada rather then take the same route home. Was on a lone small little road for about 45 mins or so without seeing a single car or house even, not a place you want to break down, but incredibly nice and the best "lone highway" I had ever been on.

Just a day trip or have a few days in one area? If its a few days, I would say the Adirondacks. Amazing roads, twists, turns, and scenery.

Doesnt have to be a day trip. I just want to be able to get to my destination/approximate most distant point in a day or less. Thanks for your suggestion.

I can second the Adirondacks - much fun and you can have some fun getting there and back.

Pennsylvania is a no brainer - just a ton of a fun and you can get there in half a day and spend forever riding the superb twisties.

The other area which I have not yet done but will shortly is the northern part of the Ottawa valley. 533 apparently is superb tho some challenges..

The whole northern Ontario Northern Quebec is fun and accessible with no borders....

http://www.northernontario.travel/m...1-highway-672-another-great-undiscovered-road

Last edited:
Doesnt have to be a day trip. I just want to be able to get to my destination/approximate most distant point in a day or less. Thanks for your suggestion.

Well Google earth says Old Forge, NY is 530+ kms from Kitchener, its an easy trip, especially if you leave early, like 6 am. Avoid heavy traffic on the major highways to the border, and avoid the heavy heat of the day. As long as you can continue riding and dont need an ice cream break every hour, you can be there easily by noon.

I second MacDoc on PA as well, amazing scenery and roads. I really liked Wellsboro PA, they call it the Grand Canyon of PA, though its nothing like the real thin in appearance. Another easy ride and its about 400 km from Kitchener.

I really do recommend those early starts. Plow through the boring stuff to the border, then when you hit state side and get further south it becomes much much better. Both easy half day trips, or a REALLY easy full day trip.

Plus one for early starts but I like to take the backroads early just at sunrise and enjoy the morning - then hit the slab for the boring parts. First 1/2 hour is sweet that time of day.

4th side road 7 am on the way to PA

Picture97.jpg

some 6 am on the way to the Shed

Picture285-1.jpg

I guess if it was one ride I'd opt for PA

Last edited:
Plus one for early starts but I like to take the backroads early just at sunrise and enjoy the morning - then hit the slab for the boring parts. First 1/2 hour is sweet that time of day.

I was more talking about an early day to hit the slab and just get out of the country. I like to start on slab, just make good time, get south of the border, keep pushing south then I move to back roads. 3 or 4 years back, I was riding from a wedding in Michigan to Harrisonburg, VA. I ended up taking all backroads through WV and that was some of the best riding I have ever had. Was on the road just as the sun was peaking up, and not a car on the road, I would go for about 40 mins before seeing motorized vehicles. Twisting through the valleys, under the canopy of trees, then bursting out by a river and the fog rolling over the trees. Did that all the way to the Virginia state line. Wish I had the route in my GPS logs, but I didn't plan it, just kinda went and was amazed. I like to be done riding around 3 or 4 at latest, usually at that time I have 1000kms or so and am still able to relax and enjoy the rest of the day and be ready for another early morning. That style always works for me, as I avoid some of the heat that you get down south, putting on plenty of miles before the hottest time of the day.

Yeah - best times are those unplanned wonders.

I usually like a slow start to get my hands working then don't mind the slab to get someplace.

Last three trips have fast 500 k in the morning then slower afternoon riding.

Only way to get out of the hohum.

Back
Top Bottom