US Kawasaki Dealers | GTAMotorcycle.com

US Kawasaki Dealers

skhosla

I've been looking at bringing in a new kawasaki ninja 250r from the states, since it looks like it will end up being over $1000 less than buying it here.

The biggest problem I have had so far is that of the approx 10 dealers I have called in the US, none will sell to a Canadian. Even if we show up at their door with cash.

Does anyone know a dealer that will sell to a Canadian?

i thought about doing the same thing last year, but the savings really aren't worth the effort. if it were a bigger bike where there's more of a price difference then it can be worth it, but the 250's almost always demand a premium. remember there's the gas there and back to go get it, truck rental if you don't have one, RIV import fee of around $200, etc. that $1000 is going to get chewed up quick, and then you're left with a warranty that's not likely valid here anyway.

not to say that you can't save some money shopping south of the border, you just have to really know your prices, and $1000 difference just isn't enough.

I would suggest that you don't bother with US for the 250, but if you have a relative or a cousin who is willing to lend you their name for 5 minutes then you're in luck.

Also, I had the same problem when I was trying to buy my CBR600RR from states. I kept calling further and further until I found a dealership with the right price that was willing to sell to canadian. That was in viriginia.

GL

Last edited:
I picked up a new ZX6R with these guys last year. They were really helpful. http://www.powersports360.com/
I deal directly with Alex Zelinko [Alex.Zelinko@powersports360.com]). He'll set up up real good.
However, comments above are 100% correct. When you factor in any rentals, gas, RIV registration and maybe lunch it just isn't worth the hassle. Also, keep in mind your warranty is no longer valid when you register in Canada. Food for thought.
And if you insist on buying in the US, make sure you source from a state that does not charge sales tax. Ohio would be one of the tax free states. Michigan would be an example of a state that would charge it.

My costs are essentially the RIV fee. My business partner is going down in his truck to Tennessee to pickup something he bought off ebay, so he is willing to pick up the bike and bring it back for me. I can also buy US dollars at a better rate from my company than from the bank, so the exchange rate is even more in my favor. My rough calculations had me saving about $1200 after everything is said and done.

I understand the warranty concerns, and that is where I am gambling, but warranties on bikes seem to be short, they are not as complicated as cars, and I am betting that any repairs that will be required will be less than the $1200 I am saving.

Last edited:
i think you can recoup the sales taxes from some states, but I'm sure it's a huge song and dance to do so.

Have you thought about buying used? Since the transportation is already sorted, you'd stand to save a lot more buying used. If you find one, see if you can find someone that's local to go check it out for you ahead of time (i'd head over to ninjette.org for that). that way you don't need to deal with stupid dealers that don't want to make any money.

Also realize that the 250 has an analog odometer, unlike the bigger bikes. That means that everything is in miles, and you can't just switch it over to kilometers. This will become an issue when you go to sell your bike on the used market, as US bikes always command a lower price here.

I would buy used if I were you. $3500 to $4000 should get you a well sorted 250. Of course, if I were to do it again, I'd look at an SV650 instead.

I understand that I will get less when I go to sell the bike. I was looking at changing the speedo/odometer to one of the Koso ones, so that will eliminate the need to convert mph to kph in my head.

A used on here is $3500-4000, while bringing in a new one from the states is going to run me $4000. This is what keeps pushing me to bring one in.

What is it about a new one that appeals to you? That it's clean and unscratched?

If you buy new, do yourself a favour and kick it over in the driveway as soon as you get it. Get that part out of the way.

Seriously dude, buy used, buy cheap. The worse it looks, the better. That way, when you're learning, you can throw that crap around without worrying about how it'll look if you drop it. I'd rather have a bike that I can do whatever I want to, than worry about keeping it pretty.

However, forget everything I said if you're just planning to pose at Timmies. In which case, why are you even looking at a Ninja 250? Ducati or bust.

i kinda resent the idea that everyone is going to drop their first bike, altho it does happen quite a bit. I've got ~14,000km under my belt so far and the only marks on mine are stone chips. I bought mine new and don't regret that decision one bit.

If you buy new, do yourself a favour and kick it over in the driveway as soon as you get it. Get that part out of the way.

hahahahaahahahaa

I was told by Kawasaki insider, that Kawasaki dealers in USA are no longer allowed to sell to Canadians (Kawasaki Corp. doing this to" protect " Canadian dealers).

I was told by Kawasaki insider, that Kawasaki dealers in USA are no longer allowed to sell to Canadians (Kawasaki Corp. doing this to" protect " Canadian dealers).

no ****...I coulda told you that

I picked up a new ZX6R with these guys last year. They were really helpful. http://www.powersports360.com/
I deal directly with Alex Zelinko [Alex.Zelinko@powersports360.com]). He'll set up up real good.
However, comments above are 100% correct. When you factor in any rentals, gas, RIV registration and maybe lunch it just isn't worth the hassle. Also, keep in mind your warranty is no longer valid when you register in Canada. Food for thought.
And if you insist on buying in the US, make sure you source from a state that does not charge sales tax. Ohio would be one of the tax free states. Michigan would be an example of a state that would charge it.
1+
I dealt with Alex as well. Super easy transaction and I'm very happy with the whole experience of importing from the US. For me it went smooth and in the end I saved around 3g. You can keep the warranty if you have an american address.

Back
Top Bottom