Universal Tachometer/Speedometer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Universal Tachometer/Speedometer?

architect

Site Supporter
Anyone have experience with these cheap aftermarket tachometer/speedometers like below, or alternative recommendations? In particular, any insight on adding this relatively modern sportbikes? I'm making my '09 ZX6R into a naked ride so deleting the RAM/fairing stay along with OEM speedometer as it's really bulky.

If wiring these up isn't easy, then I may just run the bike without any gauges. Thanks.

1717116591156.png1717116730784.png

IMO, the wiring isn't that difficult, the issue is the accuracy of the speedo and tach. Every bike is different and one person's experience may not reflect another's implementation.

I have some experience with the Trailtech Vapor units on dirt bikes:

752-118.jpg

There is a lot of "calibration" required to figure out the correct rpms/speed via rolling circumference of your tire and GPS comparisons.

If tach isn't important to you, then my suggestion is to go with a GPS-based unit (even just an old phone mounted on your bars running Google Maps will do) for speed, that way do away with any requirement for wiring. Waaaay more simpler. These aftermarket dashes only become useful if you wire in all the info from your bike/ECU, things like engine temp, check engine light/oil warning light, etc.

IMO, the wiring isn't that difficult, the issue is the accuracy of the speedo and tach. Every bike is different and one person's experience may not reflect another's implementation.

752-118.jpg

There is a lot of "calibration" required to figure out the correct rpms/speed via rolling circumference of your tire and GPS comparisons.

If tach isn't important to you, then my suggestion is to go with a GPS-based unit (even just an old phone mounted on your bars running Google Maps will do) for speed, that way do away with any requirement for wiring. Waaaay more simpler. These aftermarket dashes only become useful if you wire in all the info from your bike/ECU, things like engine temp, check engine light/oil warning light, etc.

Thanks for the insight. The calibration sounds like a lot of work. The RPM reading would be nice but I'll just have to go by feel/sound. I'll still look for some cheap GPS unit to make sure I'm not speeding. Any suggestions on something cheap so I won't feel terrible if it gets stolen?

Thanks for the insight. The calibration sounds like a lot of work. The RPM reading would be nice but I'll just have to go by feel/sound. I'll still look for some cheap GPS unit to make sure I'm not speeding. Any suggestions on something cheap so I won't feel terrible if it gets stolen?

Just buy an old phone off Kijiji or FB marketplace, or use an old one sitting in your drawer.

As long as it runs Google Maps, you're good to go. Download your maps for off-line use and you've got yourself a speedometer *and* a GPS as well. Win/Win!

Use a mount that you can easily take the phone off your bars and you can prevent theft that way as well.

One caveat about using phone-based GPS speedos is that there is a slight lag in updating your speed real-time, depending on how current your phone is. Talking like milliseconds for older phones.

Also, you'll need to monitor warning lights somehow from your original dash: CEL, oil pressure, etc.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with these cheap aftermarket tachometer/speedometers like below, or alternative recommendations? In particular, any insight on adding this relatively modern sportbikes? I'm making my '09 ZX6R into a naked ride so deleting the RAM/fairing stay along with OEM speedometer as it's really bulky.

If wiring these up isn't easy, then I may just run the bike without any gauges. Thanks.

View attachment 68005View attachment 68006
I have one on my Moped - stupid easy to install and it works great. I bought mine off Amazon for $15!

Wiring is stupid easy, uf your bike has no gear selector switch, the second plus isn't used. The most difficult thing is mounting the magnets and hall sensor for the speedo. If you have spoked wheels it's easy, if not, you have to glue the small magnets to your rim.

I sell an electronic circuit card for the BMW K-bike that adapts the signals on the bike to aftermarket gauges like this one. My circuit is compatible with the type of gauge and I have experience with it.

It's no problem to interface this gauge to your ZX6R. The speedometer could be tricky but a quick look over the speed sensor for your bike looks to be active hall sensor type so should be ok. The tach signal is special in that the gauge needs it to swing positive / negative which is difficult if your bike's tach signal is a conditioned one. Usually those only swing positive. You can use the signal coming off the coil of cylinder 1 but the tach display may be unstable. Calibrating the gauge's speedo is easy. Tell the gauge how many pulses per revolution for the speed signal and the circumference of the tire. The tach calibration is easy too by setting the gauge to how many cylinders are on the engine. Should work out ok for you.

Last edited:

752-118.jpg

Without an odometer you end up with a mileage unknown vehicle which crushes the value. I would hook up something even if it's a bike computer to track distance.

Without an odometer you end up with a mileage unknown vehicle which crushes the value. I would hook up something even if it's a bike computer to track distance.

True, but the odometer can be faked easily with any aftermarket dash.

I mean, you do have to set the initial value when you install it, right?

It's a bit like self-declaring how much you paid for your bike when you pay the taxes at the MTO...

Is the odometer value stored in the ECU on the ZX?

I'm bad with electrical and no idea if the odo value is stored in the ECU on the ZX.

There's a bit of mix response on the "ease" but given some of the helpful instructions I may give the universal gauges a go! Cheap enough that worst case I just abandon and go gaugeless.

I mean, you do have to set the initial value when you install it, right?
I have never seen an aftermarket ODO that you could set. They start at zero.
Is the odometer value stored in the ECU on the ZX?
I've never seen an aftermarket dash that can address the stock ECU

I have installed a few aftermarket "dashes", once you figure out the wiring (IF you get instructions they're usually lacking, even with KOSO) installation is simple. The speedo calibration can get finicky.
There are aftermarket dashes, or stand alone speedos that use GPS... which makes everything that much simpler. No dicking around, just point the antenna at the sky.
I have had a Aliexpress GPS speedo on my Honda for 5 years. Still works, is VERY accurate (EXACTLY 4kph high at every speed). Cost $35. I am ordering two more tomorrow (big sale June 1st on Aliexpress)

Back
Top Bottom