Tipping | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tipping

TK4

Raised on another site - what do you consider acceptable To Insure Pleasant Service ?
I'm usually good with 15% unless it's extraordinary and zero when it's self serve.
Your results may vary.

Raised on another site - what do you consider acceptable To Insure Pleasant Service ?
I'm usually good with 15% unless it's extraordinary and zero when it's self serve.
Your results may vary.
15% unless it's a favourite spot then we go to 20%

Reactions: TK4
We normally do anywhere between 10-18%

Not sure why places automatically add 18% when you have a party of 8 or more.

However, we were at a restaurant in Milton recently. Not a chain.
We had a party of 15 is a "private room" and when the bill came it the waiter said they they typically add I the 18% to a party that size but he left it out. He left it to us to decide. I thought that was nice . Not sure what he got as I was not paying the bill.

Keep in mind that the automatic prompt for tip at pizza/sub places is mandated by head office and not individually franchisees.

I'm in the 10-18% typically, but go up to 20% if something is really 'above and beyond' or it's a place we go to very regularly (not often).

I don't tip at Tim's, the Oil Changes / Jiffy Lube / McDonalds or anywhere else.

For take-out, if they happen to catch me with a bill BEFORE the food arrives I add a few $ simply because I don't feel like worrying about having my food messed with (doubtful but..you know). Maybe $2-5 as they're literally taking from the kitchen, and giving it to me.

If it's an automatic '18%' or higher...I drop the amount right away because the hell with that.

My wife gets annoyed with the tip calculated with taxes included so she adjusts for that.

I’m not a fan of tipping for something where I don’t have a choice to pick it up myself like a bar for instance. I can’t hop over the bar to pour my own drink.

Surely it’s the other way round. You tip for pleasant/efficient service received. You get bugger all if you’re useless and rude.

Exactly. When you reference it like that (To Insure Pleasant Service) it sounds like a veiled threat. "Nice plate of food you're gettin' there. Be a shame if someone were to spit in it".

I hate tipping. I hate being part of transactions where the other party feels like they have to cavort & dance for my amusement just to get paid. I hate hearing the Customer Service Voice being used on me.

I rarely eat at sit-down restaurants, but when I do it's usually 20% of the total after tax. Habit developed from when I used to hang out with cheapskates. I haven't taken a taxi of any kind in like 20 years, I don't tip for take-out 'cause half the time those tips don't get dispersed properly anyway.

I tip whatever I feel like. No rules, it's my money. Though I do enjoy not having to think about it in Europe.

I'm in the 10-18% typically, but go up to 20% if something is really 'above and beyond' or it's a place we go to very regularly (not often).

I don't tip at Tim's, the Oil Changes / Jiffy Lube / McDonalds or anywhere else.

For take-out, if they happen to catch me with a bill BEFORE the food arrives I add a few $ simply because I don't feel like worrying about having my food messed with (doubtful but..you know). Maybe $2-5 as they're literally taking from the kitchen, and giving it to me.

If it's an automatic '18%' or higher...I drop the amount right away because the hell with that.
I'm about the same. My rule is 15% if you neet my expectations, 20% if you exceed them.

Poor service? I usually deal with that before tipping time, which makes it no surprise to the server.

I don't tip takeouts or retail checkouts ever.

$5 (cash) for barbers, porters, room service, car jockeys.
$20 for the charter hand that cleans and packs my fish.
$0-??? for my masseuse depending on how I feel at the end.

I absolutely hate tipping culture generally (just pay your people properly and fold the cost into the item - Europe manages just fine), but the use of POS machines has pushed it completely out of control. Most egregious I've seen recently was at the Budweiser Stage, where the beer is already priced at a surreal $14-18 a can. If you're dumb enough to buy some, you're presented with a machine asking whether you want to tip 18, 20 or 25% on the total. At a counter. No wonder they are all so eager to get you in their line...

I basically stopped tipping a few years ago when they stopped the different pay scale for servers. I would rather everyone make a living wage, but at this point, the kitchen and servers are making the same, or close. I never tip percentages, because that just doesn't make sense to me. Just because the food is more expensive at this particular establishment, means I should pay a higher tip? So I have my own rule of $5 for under $100 bill, and $10 for anything over that. And that's only if the service was actually good. Otherwise, I tip zero.

If I'm standing when I order and take the food away, no tip! I pay cash at the counter just so I don't have to play their iPad game with the tip amount.
If I'm sitting and like the food and service, then 15 to 20% on the before tax amount.
I haven't taken a cab in over 20 years and have never used a ride share or food delivery service, so no idea about those scenarios.

I absolutely hate tipping culture generally (just pay your people properly and fold the cost into the item - Europe manages just fine)
So does Australia.
No tipping and the price you see on the menu is the price you pay at the cash out....added taxes etc. (y)

Back
Top Bottom