Thoughts on '08 Aprilia SXV450 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thoughts on '08 Aprilia SXV450

550 better... But people seem to go through motors left and right and aprilia network support sucks from own experience. Good looking sumos though.

That bike,, and the 550 is the destroyer of licenses, the bringer of suspensions and fines.

Enjoy!.

I have ridden the sx550, the exc530 and exc 450. The 550 has got a wicked powerful v twin, but unreliability and limited dealer network make me steer clear. Both ktms are awesome bikes, great dealer network and time proven designs. Every single bike ktm makes is a performance machine. After it's de-smogged, the 530 is roughly 250lbs at 72hp. Bags of fun! My only complaint is that with stock sprockets the 530 bogs if you shift into 6th below 160. For any street use, they need a steering damper, waayyy to twitchy at speed! However these bikes are high maintenance, especially if used often for street riding. They are dirt bikes first, things like the signals will remove themselves in short order.

SXV is definitely the best looking super out there. But the early ones(07-08) had engine problems as stated above. The fix from Aprillia was to change the engine sealant from orange to black or vice-versa. Sorry, can't remember which. SupermotoJunkie.com will have the answer.

I have ridden the sx550, the exc530 and exc 450. The 550 has got a wicked powerful v twin, but unreliability and limited dealer network make me steer clear. Both ktms are awesome bikes, great dealer network and time proven designs. Every single bike ktm makes is a performance machine. After it's de-smogged, the 530 is roughly 250lbs at 72hp. Bags of fun! My only complaint is that with stock sprockets the 530 bogs if you shift into 6th below 160. For any street use, they need a steering damper, waayyy to twitchy at speed! However these bikes are high maintenance, especially if used often for street riding. They are dirt bikes first, things like the signals will remove themselves in short order.

The 530 is NO WHERE near 72hp and won't get there without strapping another motor to it.

Stock with smog equipment they're usually in the 40hp range, de-smogged 50 is a REALLY strong figure.

The Factory KTM supermoto teams running in the AMA weren't seeing 70hp from their Unlimited class race bikes(They tried when the aprilia showed up)

I've raced against these bikes for years in Canada and the US and 72hp from a stock bike is not possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y-1NRdqzxs

Check 9:06 in the vid.

From some reading that I've done, looks like this bike is a race ready machine with horn, turn signals and headlight attached to it. This guy is new rider. lmao
Deal is good but I hope he won't get hurt on this.

From some reading that I've done, looks like this bike is a race ready machine with horn, turn signals and headlight attached to it. This guy is new rider. lmao
Deal is good but I hope he won't get hurt on this.

They Crash well, hopefully he does.

Maintenance for these things is based on how many hours it's ridden, not by kilometres so expect frequent servicing $$$$$.

Ape 550 or KTM 690 is the only way you're getting anywhere near the 70+ hp figure.

Maintenance for these things is based on how many hours it's ridden, not by kilometres so expect frequent servicing $$$$$.

But the maintenance is simple and if you keep after them, they're pretty damn reliable.

If you're lazy/clueless with a wrench, get a DRZ400.

It's a supermoto bike,, it has no swoopy plastic body parts or other items that are made from butter and glass like a sportbike.

You can crash it at 150km/h and if YOU are able to, kick it straight and keep riding. you might bend the handlebars or twist the forks in a crash, nothing a wall and a bit of elbow grease won't fix.

Your buddy won't be crying as much when he wads himself as he would with a sportbike.

They are actually quite forgiving in truth,, when I was roadracing I would tend to destroy 2+ bikes a season,, racing supermoto, I was racing at a MUCH higher level and went almost 3 seasons without a crash and this was at race winning pace.

the bikes just work differently than a sportbike and are more forgiving, especially on the street.

The bike has the same contact patch as a full size sportbike, the same brakes, MUCH less weight.

The suspension has much longer travel and does not store near the same amount of energy as a sportbike does because of the lighter weight.

bumps and potholes that will give seasoned sportbike riders nightmares and lots of trouble are barely noticed on a bike like this.

First order of business if/when he gets the bike is to slow the rebound in the rear down as much as possible, especially if it was owned buy a sportbike rider previously.

It's a supermoto bike,, it has no swoopy plastic body parts or other items that are made from butter and glass like a sportbike.

You can crash it at 150km/h and if YOU are able to, kick it straight and keep riding. you might bend the handlebars or twist the forks in a crash, nothing a wall and a bit of elbow grease won't fix.

Your buddy won't be crying as much when he wads himself as he would with a sportbike.

They are actually quite forgiving in truth,, when I was roadracing I would tend to destroy 2+ bikes a season,, racing supermoto, I was racing at a MUCH higher level and went almost 3 seasons without a crash and this was at race winning pace.

the bikes just work differently than a sportbike and are more forgiving, especially on the street.

The bike has the same contact patch as a full size sportbike, the same brakes, MUCH less weight.

The suspension has much longer travel and does not store near the same amount of energy as a sportbike does because of the lighter weight.

bumps and potholes that will give seasoned sportbike riders nightmares and lots of trouble are barely noticed on a bike like this.

First order of business if/when he gets the bike is to slow the rebound in the rear down as much as possible, especially if it was owned buy a sportbike rider previously.

Thank you for a good feedback!

So I asked him a couple of days ago:
-"So have you read about this bike on forums?"
-"Yes, basically I'm gonna die"

lol

When he buys it,, Tell him I'll gladly help him set it up and show him how to ride it.

I like to be helpful

I'm picking up a 550 myself this weekend. Wicked machines, but they can be temperamental. You really need to know what you're getting into.
It's literally a race bike with lights, and needs to be maintained accordingly. Extended highway riding is also not recommended, nor is it comfortable.

Recip, I'd like to take you up on that, since I plan on racing it.

Here's to hoping I can avoid an HTA172 :D

Back
Top Bottom