Stuff I've been up to. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stuff I've been up to.

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
Hey all. I'd like to say thanks (again) to all those who texted, PM'd, and reached out in the last many months since I stepped away here. Once again I'm flattered anyone cared or noticed I was gone.

Yeah, I was sick and tired of all the politics threads. For a few days in a row I logged in, clicked the "New Posts" button, and literally 80% of the active posts that showed up were politics. I wondered if GTAM was actually about motorcycles anymore as it seemed like endless political threads had taken over from actually talking about, you know...motorcycle stuff.

I may very well exit again if things seem to still be trending that way honestly, I tend to dislike places where politics are thrown endlessly in your face in places where I go to talk about things other than politics. If you went to your favourite pub where you've enjoyed kicking back with friends for years and having some beers and talking about guy stuff only to walk in the door and literally everyone is yelling about politics and there's no way to avoid it, well, you might not go back anymore either.

I'd still like a way to just block the related subs so that it just goes away here (I know such a plugin exists for Xenforo), but whatever. Enough ranting.

I've been busy making up for last years lack of riding due to the whole head injury thing. I still have some lingering symptoms, I'm now a CPAP user (apparently quite a few post concussion syndrome sufferers end up developing obstructive sleep apnea as a result), but whatever, life goes on. I adapted to the CPAP quick and when I am sleeping, I sleep better....but I'm still having sleep issues in other ways. Blah blah, Coles Notes version, I'm way better than I was last year, still not 100%. Gained a bunch of weight through this whole debacle that I can't get off now, so yay, there's that too.

The James Bay trip finally happened. We made a big loop out of it, east to Ottawa and then the Montreal area up through La Mauricie National Park, then NW to the JBR, up, down, and back down to the GTA. La Mauricie National Park was disappointing, the roads in almost all of Quebec were absolutely terrible as expected quality wise (but great scenery in many places), with the exception of mile zero through mile 381 of the JBR ironically which was the best road we rode on in the entirety of the Quebec Portion. The north section was brutal and caused a breakdown at one point about 100km north of the 381 relay (just about the WORST spot possible) when my bike spit it's drive belt because of a rock that got sucked through the rear pulley I assumed. Moments of terror but we were thankfully able to get it back on after a roadside repair, and it was fine for the remainder of the trip, and continues fine to this day despite a bent retainer on the rear pulley that I'll address over the winter. No other issues except for a little rain. Rode over 100km of gravel roughly on the trip including a section of the Trans Tiaga (yep, a Goldwing, a Star Voyager, and a ST1100 all rocked the gravel, we're a tough bunch and not afraid of a little dirt), and got to some awesome places as a result. Photos below.

We camped, we cooked, we had a blast. We only wish we had more time in Chisasibi as that little town was way different than any of us expected in a good way, and we wish we had more time to spend a few days to chat with the locals and such. Radisson was boring with the exception of a most excellent guide during our tour of the hydroelectric dam & facility which was just epic. Sadly, photos not allowed during all the "down inside the mountain" portion.

Last week the three of us took off again and spent a week motocamping in West Virginia. Holy **** is that ever an underappreciated motorcycle area - we base camped just outside of Elkins and did 200-400k day rides every day. Epic roads, and we didn't cover 1/3 of them, so we are planning to go back. Couldn't have ordered better weather honestly except for a few cool starts - last Monday we crawled out of our tents to 2 degrees celsius. But we all have good cold weather gear and were prepared, and honestly, I'll take cool riding days to sweltering hot any day.

A few other shorter trips here and there, went out to the ADK's for a weekend with friends, lots of the usual shorties and such. Hoping to hit 20,000km this year but not sure I'll make it, used up a lot of vacation travelling with the camper as well, on adventures of a different kind with the wifey.

The new bike is absolutely glorious. This bike is seriously something that Yamaha did right, it's a shame they dropped the whole touring segment years ago and abandoned it. I call it a "Goldwing with a soul", an actual V-Twin that has some character vs the Goldwing sewing machine. I love everything about it and have absolutely no desire to buy anything new anytime soon. I have a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on it and I hope to mile the **** out of it inside those 5 years and collect on a rebuild or something and then keep racking the miles in the multiple hundreds of thousands. My only regret is not being irresponsible years ago and buying it years earlier.

1726704709134.png
At the entry gate to the JBR.

1726703826507.png
The last gas station before the beginning of the 381km stretch of the James Bay Road. We all made it without needing our Jerry cans, but our Goldwing friend (towing the trailer with a lot of our camping gear) cruised in with milliliters to spare.

1726704024440.png

One of our less favourite campsites on the Rupert River - we arrived late and took what we could find, ironically there was a WAY nicer spot just across the bridge. Last years forest fires were evident everywhere, it had clearly come right into this campground area and burned right around this very site.

1726704127414.png

One of the more memorable things was the insanely long sunsets up there. They lasted hours. Didn't get dark until after 11PM and the sun was coming up (and the birds chirping) shortly after 4AM. Made for challenging sleeping on a few occasions after staying up too late around the campfire. Unfortunately no northern lights during our entire trip.

1726704554722.png
Another burned area along the JBR.

1726704794461.png
The Giants Staircase at the Legrande generating station.

1726704902427.png
At James Bay.

1726704984161.png

We touched the water of course so we all "officially" rode to Nunavut. Unfortunately it was cold, starting to rain, and not super pleasant in general so our time was cut short. A plan to perhaps take a dip wasn't happening. It had reached more or less 30c earlier in the week, but was only about 5c the day we were there later in the week so that wasn't gonna happen.

1726705114644.png
One of the photos I wanted (my bike with a cree sign) in Chisasibi.

More photos in next response. Can only do 10 attachments at a time apparently.

Attachments

• 1726704971773.png
    1726704971773.png
    273.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
1726705226953.png
One of my more favourite campsites on our way back down the JBR. So many great crown land options, or spots on cree land that they generously allow campers to use for minimal to no cost.

1726705333503.png

West Virginia last week. Endless amazing roads.

1726705379764.png

Random little stop in the mountains, neat little trading post type place with a view.

1726705554179.png
Endless beautiful roads, most far less straight than this one. Awesome twisties and sweepers everywhere.

1726705601946.png
1726705627554.png
1726705658614.png
1726705755123.png
1726705798425.png

Anyhow, a million more photos, not all of which I can share.

Yeah, I was sick and tired of all the politics threads. For a few days in a row I logged in, clicked the "New Posts" button, and literally 80% of the active posts that showed up were politics. I wondered if GTAM was actually about motorcycles anymore as it seemed like actual motorcycle stuff had taken a back seat to actually talking about, you know...motorcycle stuff.

I may very well exit again if things seem to still be trending that way honestly, I tend to dislike places where politics are thrown endlessly in your face in places where I go to talk about things other than politics.

Agreed.

There is a way to ignore a specific forum when clicking on "What's New". I outlined it here in this thread:

I proposed a while ago that all politics threads get moved to it's own sub-forum, perhaps off Romper Room. That way, my hack could remove these threads from the "What's New" listings. Got no interest on that, but maybe if you and others would second the motion, we could get some traction on it. It'd be a shame to lose users who want to talk about motorcycles on GTAMotorcycle.com...

Crowd's already thinnin' 'round here as it is. Just sayin'...

BTW, glad you're back. If you post more motorcycle content, we could stand a chance to strengthen the signal-to-noise ratio.

Crowd's already thinnin' 'round here as it is. Just sayin'...

I'm not the only one who left because of this, no names, just not as active as I was I guess so nobody noticed, but a friend of mine who I introduced to the place around the same time I joined but wasn't ever as active as a poster, just a lurker. He hangs out at r/motorcycles now on reddit instead.

GTAM didn't seem to be about the "M" part anymore at times it seemed.

I did miss the actual motorcycle related discussions here though, hoping there's more of that vs politics, the current "What's new" seems hopeful at least with only 2 political threads and the rest MC related at least.

We'll see I guess. I'll check out your hack. I just wish it didn't have to be a hack. Politics and religion discussion can decimate a forum when it takes over from what's really supposed to be happening. I've seen it happen too many times over the years. Hell, I was an admin for years and years at dieselplace.com (to mention one place of many I managed, I've been doing this sort of stuff since the days of BBS's) and I cold turkey stepped away and haven't posted there in ~9 years now because the owners decided letting P&R overrun the place in the interest of traffic and didn't want to listen to the actual people running the place that it was out of control and really needed to be shut down.

They wanted quantity vs quality. A few of the long tenured admins and a few moderators all left at the same time, sick and tired of it. And now the place is a shell of its former self. I'm not surprised.

P&R is toxic to a place where P&R isn't really supposed to be the focus. "Crowd's already thinnin" as you mention, indeed.

Anyhow, everyone knows my views. I'm just blah blah blah-ing now.

"P&R is toxic to a place where P&R isn't really supposed to be the focus. "Crowd's already thinnin" as you mention, indeed."

I tried to create a Chuch State and Money forum a while back like on ADVRider, but it wasn't met with much enthusiasm. I may try again.
Really great to cya PP.

Well it’s good to see that you’re doing alright and you have seems like lots of miles this yr

Not as many as I'd like, but too many competing hobbies. First world problems, I know.
Would enjoy some details on the WV ride

We went down through NY/PA into WV and setup base in the campground just a little over 10 minutes outside of town (Elkins, WV) in the Stuart Recreation Area state park. Instead of breaking camp and travelling every day we just setup there for the week and did day rides which made it a lot less work in the end, plus we didn't have to haul all our gear all day long during our loops. The JBR trip was awesome but setting and breaking camp every single day got tiresome towards the end of that trip. We did it every day except the 2 days we were in Radisson where we splurged for the $300/night hotel given as how we had a day of bad weather we opted to sit out, and the very last night of the trip when there was also torrential rain in the forecast, so we got a room in Thunder Bay and enjoyed the **** out of the pool and hot tub etc.

The rec area campground was really nice. Far enough off the road that you didn't really hear any traffic except for the occasional tractor trailer coming down out of the mountains with their jake brake on, but pretty much silent all night. Power at the site, water spigots close by. Clean and not violently smelling vault toilets nearby as well, and a comfort station with showers that was "rustic". Serviceable, but rustic. The campground host was awesome.

Town itself was literally 12-13 minutes away on the bikes with all the necessities, lots of stores, restaurants, a tire place that helped us out at one point with a tire issue on one bike, walmart, booze, etc etc etc. Nice little town and a hop and skip from that campground which was absolutely perfect. But the campground itself was in the deep woods and felt way out there.

Look at motorcycleroads.com centred on Elkins WV and you'll see why we picked it. And the ones listed there don't even touch on all the possibilities. I swear that asphalt must fall out of the sky there as even the most obscure little road off into the mountains and backroads was beaitiful asphalt. We are planning to go again honestly as even with 5 days there we didn't ride maybe half the options listed, much less touched on all the other options at every turn. Just find a sign off any main road that says "Road not suitable for trucks" and go, you won't be disappointed.

And if you expedite down (Cross at Buffalo, shoot over to Erie PA, and go straight down I79) it's less than 8 hours riding each way. We took 2 days each way taking the backroads vs the slab, and on the way home I took an extra day and split off solo and spent it wandering through the backroads of PA and ending up at little state park just outside Watkins Glen NY for the night before shooting home on the Sunday. I found my iron butt again for the first time in a few years, doing a few 3-4 hour nonstop legs on the last 2 days.

Anyhow, I recommend site 11 at the Stuart Recreation campground if you're motocamping. At the end of the spur road, nicely secluded, and close to water and a vault toilet. Paved roads and paved spur into the site even, no kickstand pads needed.

1726711032389.png

Last edited:
"P&R is toxic to a place where P&R isn't really supposed to be the focus. "Crowd's already thinnin" as you mention, indeed."

I tried to create a Chuch State and Money forum a while back like on ADVRider, but it wasn't met with much enthusiasm. I may try again.
Really great to cya PP.

If you created a CSM forum, it would be full to the brim with posts once you move all the relevant threads to that forum. All the politics-only guys would have a special place they can hang out in and throw feces at each other. All day, every day. Yay! Who wouldn't be super-enthusiastic about that?

Best of all, the motorcycle-only users have a way to automatically ignore the fork out of that forum, so win-win-win situation for everyone!

Glad to see you back @PrivatePilot and glad that you are doing much better health wise.

Great pics and and ride reports. The JBR is on my very deep bucket list, somewhere near the bottom of the bucket as the probability of it happening anytime in the near future is slim.

I am with you and @Lightcycle on the politics. Get the political thread out of here. Bury them somewhere in some sub-sub-sub forum. Those that are so desperate to participate in them, will find them. The rest of us can enjoy the peace and motorcycles of a motorcycle forum.
Even better if they were just outright banned but I don't run the show here.

Don't leave again....

Not sure I understand this. I just clicked ‘new posts’ looking for political threads. In the first 2 pages, 40 threads, there is one referring to politics, the 15th. Hardly overwhelming.

I look at things differently, I see this as a community with a common interest in motorcycles. Discussions about watches, policing, bad drivers, life in Australia are all active and as loosely connected to motorcycling as any of insignificant number of threads that are discussing politics.

Here’s the first page, 3 of 8 are motorcycle topics, none politics.

IMG_0877.png

Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Not sure I understand this. I just clicked ‘new posts’ looking for political threads. In the first 2 pages, 40 threads, there is one referring to politics, the 15th. Hardly overwhelming….Am I missing something

Yes, you’re missing the bit about it not being that way all the time. Re-read my first post in this thread. At one point months back when I left “new posts” was literally ~80% politics threads when I clicked it, several days in a row. After a few days of that I decided I’d had enough.

The irony was that once I hadn’t visited for 30 days or something like that I started getting the automated “Here’s what you’ve missed!” emails, which then totally ironically continued the trend, often showing an overwhelming amount of political threads versus Motorcycle content. I’ll go back and dig up some screenshots for that matter later tonight. It didn’t make me want to return, that’s for sure.

*Currently* the trend seems positive, as I also mentioned in my first post. Cool.

Ultimately the ownership is welcome to run the forum however they see it, their sandbox, their rules, however when a motorcycle form becomes something other than a motorcycle forum, don’t expect everybody to hang around. Some people enjoy it, some people will leave.

Welcome back. Gorgeous bike - loved the write up. (y)
No sciatica with that beast ??

So far so good. It’s still there, but the ergos on this bike given its size doesn’t trigger it anywhere near as bad as the Voyager did. The stock seat is also incredibly comfortable as well - I don’t even use my Wild Ass (airhawk more or less for those who haven’t heard of the brand) pad anymore. It’s one of the things that have made me so happy with this new beast.

Thanks for the ride report and the beautiful shots. I plan to do the JBR next year.

Let me know if you have any questions about any specific areas, we stopped and explored quite a bit along pretty much the entire JBR, but in both Radisson and to a smaller extent Chisasibi.

We camped several nights along the highway as well.

Food and accommodations in Radisson is extremely limited (1 hotel, 1 restaurant) so be warned there. It’s also extremely expensive, even if you are camping and just need prepping your own meals. think the hotel was close to $400 a night once we are all said and done (but included a great breakfast), even split three ways with us all sharing a room that’s still expensive, for a solo person it’s even more so.

We had planned to camp in Radisson and actually arrived ahead of schedule because we had been riding bigger miles than we anticipated, but temperatures were in the low 30s with pea soup humidity when we arrived, and there was heavy rain forecasted overnight and a good portion of the following day, so we opted for the hotel for two nights to not only escape camping in heavy rain, but also to both cool down in the AC and also have a bit of a “down day” to relax. We salvaged half of the rain day when it cleared up and rode the gravel over to the main dam (and we’re lucky enough to be able to ride across it and get some cool pictures of the Giants staircase) and then got pictures from the other end, etc. Definitely do not miss the tour of the dam while you are there, it was really amazing, especially all of the underground stuff.

1726750706865.jpeg

1726750797376.jpeg

Next time we go we will stay in Chisasibi instead, probably camping at the end of the gravel road right at the water. The reason we opted originally to stay in Radisson instead was that I had read online that there was theft issues in a Chisasibi andit may be an unsafe place to leave your bike out overnight while staying at the hotel, so that was a concern, however having now both been to Radisson and Chisasibi, I’d find a way to make Chisasibi work as it was a waaaaayy more interesting town. Camping at the water would eliminate the theft issues in town.

Not meaning to be a smart-arse, but as a site visitor as opposed to supporter I don't see ANY non motorcycle content, and I'm pretty content with that.

At the same time, just because someone, or multiple someone's post schlock or slack jawed doofus opinions in a thread or 20 doesn't mean you have to click on them.

Along those same lines, I ALWAYS disable notifications to everything for that reason, amongst numerous others.

Glad to read the ride descriptions and see the pictures. Looks like a really good and rewarding riding season.

the same time, just because someone, or multiple someone's post schlock or slack jawed doofus opinions in a thread or 20 doesn't mean you have to click on them

When sometimes they’re the only threads with any activity, it leaves little point in showing up. Using the analogy I posted earlier, if you go to a sports bar to watch the hockey game wirh friend, and all you find on TV is opera, chances are you’re not going to stay.

I recognize some people are OK with politics taking over a forum that’s not political at its roots, I further recognize some people enjoy it even, but again long story short, it’s not what many come here for. If I wanted to bathe in politics and have my blood pressure boil I’d go hang out for endless hours in r/politics or r/conservative at Reddit.

Maybe I need to get my site supporter status removed so that the supporter specific forum where a lot of political posts get punted to just disappears - true enough that’s where most go to fester anyways so that would work. I’d just like to continue without the ads still however, hell I’d donate even more money to keep the ads gone and also wave goodbye to a P&R forum.

Looks like a great trip, enjoyed the pictures thanks for sharing.

The tractor (Kubota) forum I belong to is 10 times as active and I'm surprised to say that. so it might be a change worth considering?
To be honest, my posting here has begone to slow down, I tend to read more and say nothing, but I felt it was worth thank you for your effort to make a great post and to (somewhat) agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom