Signal turn-off button on BMW K1200s | GTAMotorcycle.com

Signal turn-off button on BMW K1200s

cruizer

Hi, I'm new to using this site. I just got a BMW K1200s only to discover the signal shut-off is on the throttle side. I find this extremely awkward as I'm trying to accelerate out of a corner, whilst fumbling for the switch. BMW changed it back to the clutch side for 2012. Am I alone on this, or have any of you BMW riders experienced the same fumbling concern.

What you have is the way BMW has ALWAYS done turn signals (there's a separate left and right switch for each side and then a single off switch). I am not a BMW owner but had to deal with this system on a rental F800ST and *hated* it. Having said that, you'll get used to it. It took me a couple of days to figure out how to activate the cancel button without taking my hand completely off the handlebar and actually pressing it, but it is possible. A couple days later I had myself programmed to do it. Still hated it but I could deal with it.

For at least some of BMW's new models they have finally given in and started using the same switch style that everyone else uses. I think with the S1000R they wanted to eliminate silly reasons that GSXR owners would have for not buying the bike ("Love the bike but can't stand the turn signals - they're the deal-breaker"). I don't know if they've standardized it across the board - hope so.

I had an 84 beemer and loved it.It had conventional switchgear.I test rode a few with the new style and can't say that i hated it,but i really didn't like it either.BMW's are typically overengineered as is most german machinery making them sometimes difficult and expensive to live with.They don't know the meaning of "if it aint broke...don't fix it".
I had my heart set on a RT when i was done with my 84,but i went with Honda because of the service intervals and reputation.

I just saw a 1975 BMW at the show with "conventional" turn signals.

How long is ALWAYS?

BMW has had oddball turn signals since before I started riding (late 1980's). That they evidently had conventional turn signal switches prior to that (which I didn't know), and THEN chanced to their oddball system (and are now in the process of switching back) makes even less sense.

You will actually get used to it after a couple of rides. I really like it now.

However I recall when I first got my bike and I was changing lanes is a little town on a Sunday afternoon with a bunch of people on the sidewalk the following sequence of events happened:
- I signaled left to pass a slow moving car
- sped up a little to make the pass
- went to cancel the signal using my left hand and pressed the horn instead (my bike has a really loud Stebel horn)
- I think everyone on the sidewalk turned looking for what must be a "semi" blowing an air-horn in their quite little community..
- then remembered the button was at my right thumb but incidentally shut the throttle off when I went for it
- The bike practically tried to throw me over then handle bars and the car I was passing almost past back on the right.

It was not one of my finer moments..

also

Your bike has self cancelling signals just leave it and it will go off on its own..

It is awkward at first because its different then all the Japanese bikes. I love it and now hate the "standard" way everyone else does it. HD seems to do it as well, at least with my dads Ultra Classic. It feels much more intuitive and nature then the little switch that most bikes have. Left thumb for left, right thumb for right and to cancel, makes sense in my head. Hoping on a bike with the little button you move left and right just feels cramped and poorly designed. Its all subjective of course, everyone has different preferences, but for me, its the best layout.

Back
Top Bottom