Saying "good bye!" to ear phones while riding. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Saying "good bye!" to ear phones while riding.

Sillylion

Disclaimer, i dont work for these guys.

Just stop by canadian tire today at warden and eglinton, they had a booth that was giving out free stain remover pens, but there was a catch that you had to stand there and listen to a salesman's pitch about a different product. I thought whateve's i got my free ****.
Turns out it was a product featured on dragons den called power pod 360 jr. (http://powerpod360.com/?page_id=20) that turns hollowed objects into
a speaker. The bigger the object the more sound is product. For me i thought the sound quality was pretty damn good.

Anyway i thought to myself i dont have a use for it and continued my shopping.
Then it hit me... my helmet! Having taken a car there, i grab a helmet on the shelf, and hurried over there to test it out, and it works like a charm! Sounds way better then my ear phones. Ive gone through 3 sets of ear phones last season just from wear and tear (these ear phones get tugged on a lil and they seem to stop working), and ive used ear buds from cheap 10$ ones to 30$ pairs and found that they either get loose inside your helmet or hurt your ear like crazy.

I know some of you guys have custom ear phones made but i dont have cash for that. There was one draw back that kinda turned me off which is that it runs on 2xAAA batteries, the sales guy said it runs for 50 hours roughly because it uses such low energy. I can live with that if it means no more cramming those ear buds in.

Anyways they got them for half price, normal is 50$ and today i got it for 25$. I have not ridden with it yet. But i have stuck it on my helmet, it stays on pretty good but i dont trust it to hold for highways, i might tape it on for security during long rides.

Anyways, give it a try, bring in ur helmets and give it a try to see the sound quality for yourself. The bass is really nice!

And here I thought you'd finally realized that riding with tunes is not the best choice. To each his own I guess. I want my click back.

And here I thought you'd finally realized that riding with tunes is not the best choice. To each his own I guess. I want my click back.

there is no one size fits all for everyone. I personally prefer to have some sort of background music going to break up the white noise that the engine and wind generate. for me riding with out tunes is more dangerous as the white noise is fatiguing and hypnotizing. same reason I have the radio playing in the car. remember it doesn't have to be so loud I can't hear anything else.

They were selling it inside. They had a greeter give you a ticket to get the free stain remover pen.
sometimes I listen to music that calms. Other times to pump me up. Whatever you listen to there's no need to have the volume stupidly loud. To each their own like you said.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much it would drown out the other sounds (air etc.) ?

Speaking of in-ear headphones - I have been using these for the past 3 years and I tug on them A LOT.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...32f8ed7eff14f3203d6defden02&SearchPageIndex=1

Hell of a deal for $25.. WITH the ipod remote.
10139052.jpg

This is not miracle technology. It is called a transducer. They have been around forever.

Uses whatever surface you attach it to as the speaker driver. Mostly used it specialty applications since they only sound about as good as the object you attach them to.

I'm not sure how much it would drown out the other sounds (air etc.) ?

Speaking of in-ear headphones - I have been using these for the past 3 years and I tug on them A LOT.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...32f8ed7eff14f3203d6defden02&SearchPageIndex=1

Hell of a deal for $25.. WITH the ipod remote.

I just got these exact ones a couple weeks ago. No complaints apart from when trying to change songs, I keep hitting the volume buttons accidentally. Pretty annoying but what can you do when wearing motorcycle gloves.

How about some photos of it installed in your helmet? :)

I just got these exact ones a couple weeks ago. No complaints apart from when trying to change songs, I keep hitting the volume buttons accidentally. Pretty annoying but what can you do when wearing motorcycle gloves.

Too bad there is no microphone on these for the Iphone,,,

There's the Tunebug Quake.

Google it.

I don't wear ear buds cua I'm dying for tunes. I wear ear buds to reduce the "white" noise. Tunes are a secondary benefit.

For myself, I think I pay a bit more attention with music playing just loud enough that i can hear it vs nothing, both on the bike and in the car. In contrast, when it's silent or just the white noise of riding, I find my mind drifts more and I start to think of other things (work, plans, etc) instead of being more focused on riding.

For myself, I think I pay a bit more attention with music playing just loud enough that i can hear it vs nothing, both on the bike and in the car. In contrast, when it's silent or just the white noise of riding, I find my mind drifts more and I start to think of other things (work, plans, etc) instead of being more focused on riding.

+1 totally agree, but for me it also depends on the music I listen to. If it's hard bass techno, I tend to look like this guy...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNYzOUqXi0

I don't wear ear buds cua I'm dying for tunes. I wear ear buds to reduce the "white" noise. Tunes are a secondary benefit.
Sounds like your helmet is too big. A good fit should get rid of air noise. Riding with hearing impaired is just not smart, period.

Sounds like your helmet is too big. A good fit should get rid of air noise. Riding with hearing impaired is just not smart, period.

This is not true at all, all helmets are different and designed with similar ideas in mind but getting rid of air noise will vary. I had an HJC FS-15 Carbon helmet and had some decent air noise protection, I picked up the new AGV pistagp a few months ago and the road noise is much worse on this helmet than on the HJC, now I don't know if that it has European standards or not but it just proves against your point. You also have to think about all those guys who ride cruisers and bucket helmets, the air noise you get from that is just ridonkulous. I ride with ear phones to help partially with air noise but also from the exhaust. My music is never turned up to a point where I still can't hear my surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom