Running rich…Power Commander V question | GTAMotorcycle.com

Running rich…Power Commander V question

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
While I can’t be 100% sure I think when I reset the maintenance light I may have cleared the Power Commander Code / setting / mapping back to stock with a full on exhaust.

Is there a way to check? I’ve never seen / connected the Power Commander V to a laptop to figure anything out.

In addition something weird happened a handful of times since the maintenance reset.

On a mid rpm range downshift, the bike cuts out (fuel?) for a split second and then it catches. Not sure if that’s related to the running lean, but has happened a few times now and I’m not sure if it’s a ‘character’ thing…or just something is wrong.

Also, can smell more fuel now when riding. It pops nicely on the throttle cut…but can def smell fuel from the exhaust.

Last edited:
What's the history of said PowerCommander? The map that was in it, someone had to put there. Who did it?

I didn't think there was a way to change the mapping without using a laptop.

It's easy enough to see what's going on. Download the PowerCommander software from www.powercommander.com (free download) to a laptop and connect to the PowerCommander with a USB cable. It's an older-style USB port, not USBC.

One other small thing. If someone has been in there messing around, make absolutely sure the PowerCommander's ground terminal is securely connected to battery negative. If that connection isn't solid, all manner of havoc follows.

Thanks @Brian P. Previous owner installed it himself. He said he did it when he swapped exhausts.

I used a laptop to reset Maintenance light (thanks Ducati!) so it may have erased the map at that time (which some forums state that it happens during service resets.

You can always disconnect it too as the bike runs fine with just a slip-on (how my Scrambler was set up).

You can always disconnect it too as the bike runs fine with just a slip-on (how my Scrambler was set up).
Honestly the thought never crossed my mind. Thought I’d have to do some computer voodoo magic…

As Brian stated it's super easy to check. Just download the free program and plug it into the laptop. It's a pretty basic program and easy to see what's in there for a tune whether it's canned or custom or nothing.
And I second checking the ground. When I installed one on my last cruiser the grounding spot in the install instructions was poor and my bike would hesitate or cutout sometimes when pulling away from stops. A proper ground fixed it immediately.
I probably still have the program in my laptop if you happen to cruise out by me.

Back
Top Bottom