Riding skills | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding skills

Thanks for that. Always good to sharpen the skills.

I was at this event. I found it entirely beneficial. I learned things and tried things outside of my comfort zone and as I did it more often, with guidance, came confidence.

My take was a bit different from the authors. The attendees were inquisitive and, from where I was sitting, seemed to get it but needed to actually practice it.

It was a great day, for free. The $599 price tag would have steered me away. For $299 it's a great day on the machine.

He is right though, the big HD baggers were riding like the bike was an extension of themselves while some of the sport bikes were really struggling. It seemed to me, the heavier the bikes were the better/more confident the riders were too. Probably a connection there.

Save for the one guy that showed up at the end of the day and invited himself onto the slow speed course and did the obstacles in the opposite direction of everyone else.

Last edited:
He is right though, the big HD baggers were riding like the bike was an extension of themselves while some of the sport bikes were really struggling. It seemed to me, the heavier the bikes were the better/more confident the riders were too. Probably a connection there.
If it was slow speed parking lot stuff around cones, the baggers will be much easier to manage than a sportbike because the CoG is lower, the steering angle isn't as sharp, the bar leverage is much better, the clutch and brakes aren't as grabby, the heavier flywheel/crank provides more gyroscopic stability, and the motor is probably torquier at low rpm. On my big scooter, I can whip around parking lots like nobody's business, but on my RC51 track bike (which is probably 150 lbs lighter), slow speed handling is wobbly and jerky and usually requires some clutch feathering and rear brake dragging to keep things smooth.

There's a reason those cop bikes can be whipped around those parking lot competition courses like nobody's business...

If it was slow speed parking lot stuff around cones, the baggers will be much easier to manage than a sportbike because the CoG is lower, the steering angle isn't as sharp, the bar leverage is much better, the clutch and brakes aren't as grabby, the heavier flywheel/crank provides more gyroscopic stability, and the motor is probably torquier at low rpm. On my big scooter, I can whip around parking lots like nobody's business, but on my RC51 track bike (which is probably 150 lbs lighter), slow speed handling is wobbly and jerky and usually requires some clutch feathering and rear brake dragging to keep things smooth.

There's a reason those cop bikes can be whipped around those parking lot competition courses like nobody's business...

Yes, exactly.

That makes sense to me. Thanks for making that connection

Sent from my SM-S916W using Tapatalk

I would get some saddle time in then get in touch with Sharp Rider for their advance rider training. I have take both courses and have never looked back since. They have improved my skills and confidence ten fold.

Ottawa offers free four hour courses every year. We taught it last year, and that's the only reason I heard about it. This year is motorcycle masters. Unfortunately, I'm unavailable for the only weekend left. FREE / GRATUIT - RIDERS SAFETY CLINICS

Just got a Kawi Nomad 1600 (over 800 pounds bagged) - from only riding 400ish pound sport bikes. This thing humbled me real quick, and really learning how I've taken minor slow speed maneuvers for granted before.

Back
Top Bottom