Resort vacation - Panama vs Punta Cana | GTAMotorcycle.com

Resort vacation - Panama vs Punta Cana

JZ67

Site Supporter
Looking for a little advice. We have been to several resort locations (Riviera Maya, Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, Jamaica, Puerto Plata) and looking at something for this November. Budget is under $4k. We have short listed between Panama (don't know why) and Punta Cana (never been). Have absolutely ZERO desire to see Cuba.

Anyone been to each short listed location and have some advice to offer. Potential other spots perhaps.

I've been to a couple of resorts in Punta Cana, but it's been a dog's age.

Just a heads up, whoever you get advice from, make sure the information is current. Resorts are the very best only in their first year of operation. Most of them put in the absolute minimum in maintenance, so every year after, it goes downhill from there as they try to milk DF out of their initial cost, gradually lowering their prices down from luxury status to college boozefest budget.

If someone says, "xxx resort was the best. I was there in 2012" - don't go there. Or at least try to find other reviews from the last 6-12 months.

Is it the Decameron in Panama or the area the Decameron is in?

If so, within a short distance of that resort you have access to real rainforest and lovely little villages. The beaches are good and not many on them.

If you fly into the nearby airport you’re 20 mins from your hotel. Day trips to the Panama Canal (a must see) and Old Panama which is really nice too.

Haven’t stayed at the hotel but have stayed in an AirBnB just next to the resort area.

I love Panama. It has everything Costa Rica has and is more accessible with less tourists.

If you feel a bit more adventurous I can send you the AirBnB details. Think it was about $200 a night for a place with two sets of bedrooms, one right on the beach, and an outdoor large palm frond covered palapa with hammocks, outdoor seating, dining table and outdoor kitchen. There’s an indoor kitchen too. Guy on site to assist so you don’t need keys. He locks up at night and opens everything in the morning. Only catch is you’ll need some rudimentary Spanish and a car as the place is at the end of a dirt road right on the beach. Sleeps 10 but probably 6 more comfortably. Was luxury for 2.

We haven’t done a lot of resort vacations, being honest , but what I saw in both places , I’d lean Panama .
I’m not good at contrived games around the pool and guess that 70s song . I’d rather go walk up a hill and look at the view .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

My brother moved to Panama 15 years ago but to David which is more eco-tourism instead of bikini beach. He came back for complex reasons, nothing to do with the place.

Panama was dirt cheap and he wanted to retire in a lifestyle he hadn't worked for. There exists a North American bunch with similar thoughts.

My brother moved to Panama 15 years ago but to David which is more eco-tourism instead of bikini beach. He came back for complex reasons, nothing to do with the place.

Panama was dirt cheap and he wanted to retire in a lifestyle he hadn't worked for. There exists a North American bunch with similar thoughts.

It’s not super cheap any more. You can eat for less if you stick with the places locals go to and you’ll get tasty fresh fish or meat dishes with beans and rice. A tourist fish place on the beach will cost you about 10-15US for a main with beers for a few bucks.

Thanks for the input. Gives food for thought.

@Lightcycle , fortunately my experience on more mature resorts has been the opposite. We have been lucky I guess. Mostly we have chose Riu properties and have enjoyed each of them to the point that we would go back to any of them.

Going to DR, specifically, La Romana for a week in Nov. We wanted a quieter, smaller resort with good food and a great beach where the ocean isn't trying to kill you (like in PC).

Thanks for the input. Gives food for thought.

@Lightcycle , fortunately my experience on more mature resorts has been the opposite. We have been lucky I guess. Mostly we have chose Riu properties and have enjoyed each of them to the point that we would go back to any of them.

If you’re looking at the RIU in Panama then I’ve heard good things from people that stayed there. That’s near the Decameron complex too. Nice beaches but the water isn’t super clear for snorkelling. You can take trips out on the water though and there’s a big island offshore that may have decent snorkelling. The area has a bunch of restaurants in the hotel complexes, a swanky golf course ($$$) etc. Easy bus connections to get to more interesting locations and two car rental agencies if you want a bit more independence. Rent something with good ground clearance for exploring, many roads are stretching the word “road” a bit too far. The interamericana main highway is right there and you can get about on that to a bunch of interesting places. If you like fresh fish then this is a great area, the local fish market is nearby and you can watch boats come in with your dinner.

Tour groups are under rated , you get to the good spots , maybe pay a bit more , but it’s generally safe and pleasant. And they know stuff , like don’t eat that $2 chicken dinner at the open market .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

CR smokes both sorry, i live here .
Eco adventures and way better beaches., rainforest, active volcanoes and anything else you like.

PM for more details

Last edited:
I've been to a couple of resorts in Punta Cana, but it's been a dog's age.

Just a heads up, whoever you get advice from, make sure the information is current. Resorts are the very best only in their first year of operation. Most of them put in the absolute minimum in maintenance, so every year after, it goes downhill from there as they try to milk DF out of their initial cost, gradually lowering their prices down from luxury status to college boozefest budget.

If someone says, "xxx resort was the best. I was there in 2012" - don't go there. Or at least try to find other reviews from the last 6-12 months.
Strange the place we go to in Mexico gets better every year they are constantly building new restaurants and building and making it nicer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

CR smokes both sorry, i live here .
Eco adventures and way better beaches., rainforest, active volcanoes and anything else you like.

PM for more details

I’ve been to both (a lot) and like both but prefer Panama. When you step off the plane in Tocumen a short subway trip gets you to the main bus station and rainforest with toucans, monkeys and sloths is a few dollar cab ride from there right in the City. Where the OP would be going is a 40 minute drive to a village in an extinct volcano crater surrounded by wildlife and his hotel is 20 mins from the local airport.

It’s a lot easier to get to things in Panama and there’s less people there.

This is the beach as seen from the AirBnB balcony I went to, also 10 mins from that airport. Most days I had it to myself.

1727097073433.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom