Repairing / replacing carbon fibre shell of exhaust | GTAMotorcycle.com

Repairing / replacing carbon fibre shell of exhaust

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Found a very rare exhaust (Devil Shotgun) and need to fix it up a bit. The pipes are in good shape and so are the tips. Just need to clean up the carbon fibre shell on the cans and in doing so replace all the rivets. I don't care if I lose the Devil labels, because I actually prefer the clean carbon fibre look.

Anyone know of a shop in the GTA that can do a good job of redoing the carbon fibre exterior shell on this (and while they are doing this, might as well repack the interior)?

I did find a shop really close to my house (Gallery | Kingsmen Kustoms), so I'll ask them, but thought someone here might know another place.

Few pics are of the exhaust I bought and the other pic is how I want it to look when it's cleaned up (my bike is black / carbon fibre).
Thanks!

IMG_8854-4K.jpg

IMG_8860-4K.jpg

IMG_8856-4K.jpg

devil shotgun exhaust 2.jpg

Maybe talk to Hindle or Ripple Rock Racers ?
Thanks for the suggestions! I reached out to a local shop and also reached out to Hindle. Ripple Rock seems to be operating out of their former address in Toronto (which is super close to my work).

Found a very rare exhaust (Devil Shotgun) and need to fix it up a bit. The pipes are in good shape and so are the tips. Just need to clean up the carbon fibre shell on the cans and in doing so replace all the rivets. I don't care if I lose the Devil labels, because I actually prefer the clean carbon fibre look.

Anyone know of a shop in the GTA that can do a good job of redoing the carbon fibre exterior shell on this (and while they are doing this, might as well repack the interior)?

I did find a shop really close to my house (Gallery | Kingsmen Kustoms), so I'll ask them, but thought someone here might know another place.

Few pics are of the exhaust I bought and the other pic is how I want it to look when it's cleaned up (my bike is black / carbon fibre).
Thanks!

IMG_8854-4K.jpg

IMG_8860-4K.jpg

IMG_8856-4K.jpg

View attachment 68790
I love how those pipes look!

Ah hell no. I hate that used anywhere yet alone to wrap real carbon. Secondly, I would be shocked if it survived a heat cycle.
Ya, I don't think it would survive the heat.
I also think it leaks cheap.

Stick on stuff won't work
I don't see Hindle or Kemp having any solutions for you, they build NEW, they don't repair.
You can buy carbon fiber tubes pre-made in various sizes
If you're worried about FINISH, sand the thing and apply a new layer of resin, DO NOT use clear paint, it will yellow
If you need someone to do it for you, look for someone that can repair fiberglass finish... maybe a boat shop.
They will never look "NEW" again

Stick on stuff won't work
I don't see Hindle or Kemp having any solutions for you, they build NEW, they don't repair.
You can buy carbon fiber tubes pre-made in various sizes
If you're worried about FINISH, sand the thing and apply a new layer of resin, DO NOT use clear paint, it will yellow
If you need someone to do it for you, look for someone that can repair fiberglass finish... maybe a boat shop.
They will never look "NEW" again
I agree with bitzz! Maybe try and contact devil for new badges and ask them about the resin they use? It also looks like there is a bit of rash (besides just scratches) you could possibly repair that area and spin the damage towards the inside to hide it? You would need to fill some of the rivet holes and drill some new ones.

I agree with bitzz! Maybe try and contact devil for new badges and ask them about the resin they use? It also looks like there is a bit of rash (besides just scratches) you could possibly repair that area and spin the damage towards the inside to hide it? You would need to fill some of the rivet holes and drill some new ones.
Just reached out to Devil - amazing I didn't think of that myself:)

Thanks!

IMG_8854-4K.jpg

IMG_8860-4K.jpg

IMG_8856-4K.jpg

View attachment 68790
Restoring carbon fibre is pretty easy… but very laborious.

Cheap and easy is to feather wet sand scratches with 600, then scuff the rest with dry 600, finally clear coat with Rustoleum outdoor clear. 1 hour/can.

The hard way is to work thru 600, 1000, 1200, 1500 then 2000 wet sanding. Then use a finishing polish compound to buff. At least 4 hours/can.

The rivets can be replaced with a pop rivet tool.

The badges are the toughest to restore, if Devil sells them that would be the best route. If they balk (may be worried about counterfitting) tell them you’ll send the originals to them.

I restore plates as a hobby, I don’t charge anything, it’s a spare time thing for me — could take 6 mos before you get them back. I won’t bother explain the process because, it needs a lot of special tools.

Back
Top Bottom