Repair or scrap | GTAMotorcycle.com

Repair or scrap

muddysixtysix

Last Sunday I took a low slide and my bike seems to be in rough shape. The bike is an SV650 with 38,000KM on it and I am debating fixing it or scraping it and just buy a new bike. The damage consists of all left side body work, the shifter the handle bars, and the light housing. The bike is a naked so the whole left side really consists of the tail and the tank. Also the radiator was bent and broke loose of the bracket. The handle bars and the shifter I could do myself but I have heard body work is expensive and I would need it painted. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time and help.

Well i would either make it into some sort of frankenstein bike or part out what you can and buy something else.

Last Sunday I took a low slide and my bike seems to be in rough shape. The bike is an SV650 with 38,000KM on it and I am debating fixing it or scraping it and just buy a new bike. The damage consists of all left side body work, the shifter the handle bars, and the light housing. The bike is a naked so the whole left side really consists of the tail and the tank. Also the radiator was bent and broke loose of the bracket. The handle bars and the shifter I could do myself but I have heard body work is expensive and I would need it painted. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time and help.

Find out how much insurance will give you then go from there. First gen and early second gen probably won't be worth the insurance money and I'd probably do what he suggests(^) and fix it if you have lots of free time over the winter, the knowledge to do most or all the repair work yourself and are willing to put in the effort. If its too bothersome, part out and look for a replacement.

Find out how much insurance will give you then go from there. First gen and early second gen probably won't be worth the insurance money and I'd probably do what he suggests(^) and fix it if you have lots of free time over the winter, the knowledge to do most or all the repair work yourself and are willing to put in the effort. If its too bothersome, part out and look for a replacement.

They won't give you enough to compensate for huge rate jump you will get on all your vehicles for the at fault insurance claim for many years to come. Assuming he had full coverage to begin with. This is bad advice.

I'd just fix it enough to ride and leave it looking like Frankenstein.

I was offered $1000 dollars for it. I guy I know wants a stunt bike and is brand new to it so he doesn't care about the body work. I think I will just sell it.

I was offered $1000 dollars for it. I guy I know wants a stunt bike and is brand new to it so he doesn't care about the body work. I think I will just sell it.

What year is it ? I want to build a moden cafe bike. Might be a good project.

Last edited:
Link666 wants a streetfighter.....

Those are relatively easy to fix, but yes, the parts are getting expensive.

I have a box with parts, including adjustable rearsets with shifter, but those are expensive $$$$$$$$$$$

:p

EDIT: I just saw the year. My parts are for first generation SV, so forget about what I said....

Last edited:

You will spend about $1500-1700 to fix it, but you will never see that money back, so $1000 is pretty good.
It would help us to know what year it is.

The damage consists of all left side body work, the shifter the handle bars, and the light housing. The bike is a naked so the whole left side really consists of the tail and the tank. Also the radiator was bent and broke loose of the bracket.

That pretty much describes my daily ride lol.

I'm surprised nobody said this yet but if this is your first bike, Frankenstein it and keep learning on it. It hurts less dropping/breaking a bike that has already been dropped by you than it is to drop a new one...again lol

Keep riding it! Fix whatever's needed and skip the cosmetics. You can always sell it for a thousand bucks down the line, no matter what the mileage is.
Perfect opportunity to increase your wrenching skills anyhow.

Plus from what you describe, it won't be too expensive to replace damaged parts with used/aftermarket ones if you do it yourself. Plenty 2nd gen SV stuff out there.

Back
Top Bottom