Rental trucks | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rental trucks

muddysixtysix

All,

I am looking to rent a truck for my move to Alliston. I have used U haul in the past and got killed on the mileage. What's a fair price (looking at about 85 km one way).
The quotes I have been give for someone to actual move my stuff have been in the range of $770 to $1000 dollars, seems kind of steep. Figured I would just do it myself

Thanks in advance.

Depending on how much you have of stuff, and what type of car you have you can always just rent a trailer and pull it yourself. Or find a buddy with a truck to trailer it up there.

I think they rent the trailers fairly cheap and no mileage charge on them.

Depending on how much you have of stuff, and what type of car you have you can always just rent a trailer and pull it yourself. Or find a buddy with a truck to trailer it up there.

I think they rent the trailers fairly cheap and no mileage charge on them.

Yeah I was looking into the trailer prices and they do seem better. Though I would have to get a hitch for my Jeep. not sure if that would negate the better price or the extra hassle involved.

Yeah I was looking into the trailer prices and they do seem better. Though I would have to get a hitch for my Jeep. not sure if that would negate the better price or the extra hassle involved.

Think of it this way....if you get a hitch for your Jeep....you can tow motorcycle as well! It's win win! Plus it's a one time cost.

You can get a hitch and harbor freight trailer for less than $750. Then you can move things whenever you want.

Think of it this way....if you get a hitch for your Jeep....you can tow motorcycle as well! It's win win! Plus it's a one time cost.

+1. If you're already pre wired its like $30 for a hitch and the trailers are $15-$30 a day.

Are you moving because of a new job or position? If so, they may cover the expenses or reimburse you. If not, guilt trip that one buddy with the extended truck that has nothing better to do, you know the one. lol

Are you moving because of a new job or position? If so, they may cover the expenses or reimburse you. If not, guilt trip that one buddy with the extended truck that has nothing better to do, you know the one. lol

LoL we all have that one buddy with a pickup or nice roomy van! I did to know I became one until I got a roomy wagon! LoL

as you say money is tight but there are options:

if it's 750$-1000 to rent van then you're better of getting the hitch
if possible rent a minivan or larger SUV which will come out cheaper but need to do more trips
call around to friends if they know friends and offer some $$
I've seen a ton of guys on kijiji offer moving furniture with their personal vans (shady I know)
Have a moving party with friends. Just don't give them beer until move is done or it'll never get done

If you don't want to do the towing thing, give a call to Discount trucks, Ryder, Penske, and Budget and see what they charge for a cube van for a day. I rented a cube van from Discount once and I think it came out to $100 or so for the day. I think it had 100km free though, and the rest cost something.

I think some home depots started renting cube vans now too, but I think they have a pricing structure like uhaul with a base fee and then so much per km.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Leaning towards getting the hitch and trailer. Going to call some of the other rental companies, $100 for the day would seem reasonable to me. Most likely I will have to throw out some of the furniture and just buy new. Which is what the wife wants to do anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Leaning towards getting the hitch and trailer. Going to call some of the other rental companies, $100 for the day would seem reasonable to me. Most likely I will have to throw out some of the furniture and just buy new. Which is what the wife wants to do anyway.

When I checked out how much it was to install a hitch on my car (Elantra Touring) it came to 270$ installed including hitch, wiring harness and taxes at UHAUL. Add a trailer rental and you will be well under a day of truck rental.

mind you looking at the instructions it seems like a fairly straight forward install if you're handy and have time to do it.

When I checked out how much it was to install a hitch on my car (Elantra Touring) it came to 270$ installed including hitch, wiring harness and taxes at UHAUL. Add a trailer rental and you will be well under a day of truck rental.

mind you looking at the instructions it seems like a fairly straight forward install if you're handy and have time to do it.

Yeah I don't have time to install it myself. I will give UHAUL a call and see what it will take. Would like the hitch anyway. Thanks.

That may not be the best idea.

Depending how much stuff you have, or better yet, what you "think" you have, i can guarantee it takes up a lot more room.

How much time and gas are you going to waste going back and fourth with the trailer? Are you having friends help? How much of their time will you waste by doing multiple trips? 85km one way, thats 170km, or 2 hours round trip without offloading. How many trips can you do in a day before you run out of daylight and have to reschedule it for some other day when your friends are available again?

When i moved out of the basement apt where me and my fiancee lived, we rented a mid sized VAN from Uhaul even though i had a trailer. Due to a mishap on their end, they ended up giving me that monstocity at the price of the mid sized guy. We still managed to pretty much fill it up. Sure the thing guzzled gas like a mofo, but one trip in the monster was still less money than 3 trips with a car.

Just the couch, kitchen table and TV stand would have taken up the trailer on one trip.

This way we loaded everything in the van, the bikes got loaded on the trailer and we made the trip in one shot,

Sometimes going the "cheap" route is not the best option as the extra costs

If you're in Barrie I'll help you out. I've got a Sprinter which I can help you with after work to move all your stuff. If you're in Mississauga I doubt you'll want to wait that long for me to get there after work and then move you. Not to mention that I'll be a bit on the tired side of life...

What day are you looking to do all your moving?

Send me a PM and maybe I can figure out something out.

OH! Congrats on the new home purchase!

Back
Top Bottom