Regulation for hid light | GTAMotorcycle.com

Regulation for hid light

junk301

Hello im plannint on installing an hid kit on my dominator dual headlights. I've heard that an 8000k bulb with give off that blue light. Im wondering what the regulations are for hid kits? Legal?

if it's coloured anything but white, you could get hassled.

BTW, please for the love of god, retrofit projectors.

There are no retrofit HID "kits" that are DOT, CMVSS, or ECE approved.

As noted above, if the light emitted is anything other than "white", it could be trouble.

A good many of these, have the effect of no longer having a high and low beam. If you are blinding other drivers, you could (rightly) be charged with failing to dip headlights for approaching traffic.

If you:
- Stay with something in the 3500 - 4300 K range so that the light is "white";
- Maintain the high and low beam arrangement;
- Either install it in a projector housing or a reflector that has proven to maintain a proper low-beam cutoff pattern when on low beam;
- Aim them properly - particularly the low beam cutoff line;
then it's unlikely to be trouble.

hey, what are retrofit projectors. Whats the difference between them and HID's and maybe even the sylvania silverstar bulbs

Thanks

LAright, looking at the price for a good hid kit, im looking at jsut getting a brigher bulb than stock on my dominators. I understand that many have said good things about the sylvania silverstars and the ge nighthawks. Would anyone have more infor on this topic.

Help is appreciated

hey, what are retrofit projectors. Whats the difference between them and HID's and maybe even the sylvania silverstar bulbs

Thanks

For HIDs it's the bubble of glass in front of the light source that focuses the light beam where it should go (projector). A silverstar bulb is just a replacement for what is likely already in your bike that has a parabolic style reflector behind the bulb designed for these types of incandescent bulbs that focuses the light beam. You can get reflectors for HID too but they are a different design to accomodate the different light source.

Putting HIDs in a normal reflector housing usually produces an uncontrolled light beam that doesn't efficiently do what you want...unless doing what you want includes dazzling and blinding oncoming traffic.

Oh, and be careful with the Silverstar bulbs, they are good, I've had them before, but sometimes their longevity has been questioned. There may be better alternatives now.

I still wonder where ppl ride that standard headlights are simply not enough.

That being said, a retrofit is opening up your headlight housing and installing a projector housing to focus the light properly. HID's beams are so intense they become blinding (majority of times) to others, and even moreso, a danger to oncoming traffic potentially.

6000k or less for the street is best. I run a single 6000k for my low beam and it's awesome.. an unbelieveable difference. 4300k is what most OEM kits are...

PIAA Xtreme White plus........(and no wiring needed...ha ha)

if you ever switch to a better bulb.....you will never go back to stock

It IS so easy to ride at night with NO street lights....brighter light....see farther....ride more comfortably

I felt like I could out ride my dull stock light......I always wanted to look father ahead than the stock could shine

problem solved !!!

Projectors do improve the quality and function of HIDs but if you...

stick it in your regular housing, aim it down using the headlight adjustment knobs. You'll be fine. Park behind your car, have a buddy sit in it and aim it down till he is not blinded in the rearview. That takes care of the vertical. For the horizontal, park facing a garage door at a spot where you are about 45 degrees from each end of the garage door. Adjust till your light is within the door. Now enjoy and ride, let the haters who want you to get projectors and what not hate. You can't satisfy everyone.

+1 for white....don't get fancy and get blue/purple like those ricers, attracts more attn. from the cops.

I still wonder where ppl ride that standard headlights are simply not enough.

It's bike-dependent. My bike's low-beams sucked.

Not my image, but mine were about this bad...

DSCN0629.JPG

A driver turned left in front of me at night and I'm very convinced it was because of the poor factory headlights.

Putting in Hella projector bulbs would've cost about twice as much as the HID's. I left my low beam blocker in and the HID pattern shouldn't be visible unless the car's oncoming at a closing distance of <10 ft.

----

Anyways, to the thread topic... I doubt that HID's are legal. However, I installed a set of 35W 8000k HID's on my bike, and have passed cops a few times - at the speed limit, on a non-sport bike. No hassles.

Last edited:
PIAA Xtreme White plus........(and no wiring needed...ha ha)

if you ever switch to a better bulb.....you will never go back to stock

It IS so easy to ride at night with NO street lights....brighter light....see farther....ride more comfortably

I felt like I could out ride my dull stock light......I always wanted to look father ahead than the stock could shine

problem solved !!!

What's the life like? I'm looking for replacements for my OEMs

Alright, here's some facts for you.

1. 5000k colour temperature is the same temperature as Sunlight at Noon. It's pure white. OEM's use 4300k. The reason you get that purplish look from a distance is because of the cut off. The light isn't purple, it's white.

2. Getting anything above 5000k = more blue and less usable light. Halogen's have about 800 lumens in usable light. HIDs have about 3200 lumens at 4300k. The higher you go, the less usable light. Look at a black light, it's about 12,000k and look how much light it gives off.

3. Blue light is the most difficult light in the spectrum for our eyes to process. Stand really close to a blue sign in your peripheral vision and concentrate on something else.. the blue will disappear. Since blue is so difficult for our eyes, it causes huge amounts of strain and fatigue which leads to headaches. You want to have a headache while riding? Or even get fatigued because of a blue light? Even the slightest bit of blue will cause fatigue.

4. Any of these PIAA Xtreme's or other brands that say they are brighter are, but at a cost. Halogen's use a filament. When a filament is thicker, it doesn't burn as bright but it lasts a lot longer. What these manufacturer's are doing are making thinner filaments so they burn hotter and brighter but don't last anywhere as long. This is why so many burn out so quickly! Waste of money.

If you REALLY want to learn more.. here's a ton of research I did when I did my retro fit on my car with everything you need to know about HID.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=6311

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom