Ready to ride | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ready to ride

Hello everyone,
I am a new rider in Canada. Have some riding experience from back home. Will be completing my safety course tomorrow and should get the M2 license by the end of july. Still deciding on which motorcycle to buy. Leaning towards cruisers. Would love to hear from Harley Sportster, Indian Scout and Honda rebel owners as these are my top choices. Open to checking out other cruiser motorcycles. Looking forward for your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Insurance here sucks. Definitely get insurance prices before buying. The bike my heart picks would not be the bike I would buy first as insurance would be killer.

Ride safe and have fun.
Thank you! Will it be worth it to start calling insurance companies now itself before getting my m2 license

If you are over 5'8" you may find the scout too small. My sister has one. She's 5'2". I'd have a hard time riding it. I'm 6'.

Oh, and welcome !

Welcome! As motioned be prepared for insurance shock. But good thing you have some models in mind. Just have the insurance companies price them all out. I started out on a HD Electra Glide because at the time the difference between that, and say a 600cc or 800cc cruiser wasn't that much, so I got the HD. In the beginning I only had liability and eventually after some experience and shopping around got full coverage. If you are part of a professional organization, school etc you might have some luck with a group policy discount.

Good luck with the course!

If you are over 5'8" you may find the scout too small. My sister has one. She's 5'2". I'd have a hard time riding it. I'm 6'.

Oh, and welcome !
Thank you. Indian scout was my first choice. I really liked the looks of the bike. I am 5' 11". Which cruiser would you suggest based on your experience?

The smaller 250s are one-year bikes for most men, particularly if you’re planning some full riding days outside city streets.

Ideal beginner cruisers are in the 650-900cc range. Late model used are in the $3000-$5000 range, those bikes will take you a few seasons without boring you. A used bike in this range will be inexpensive to insure.

I always suggest used for new riders. Less expensive to buy and insure, not too hard on the wallet/insurance if you tip one over.

Ride 2 years then think about the dream bike.

Spend the big money on gear. That often saves a new rider more than the thrill of owning a new bike.

Welcome!

The smaller 250s are one-year bikes for most men, particularly if you’re planning some full riding days outside city streets.

Ideal beginner cruisers are in the 650-900cc range. Late model used are in the $3000-$5000 range, those bikes will take you a few seasons without boring you. A used bike in this range will be inexpensive to insure.

I always suggest used for new riders. Less expensive to buy and insure, not too hard on the wallet/insurance if you tip one over.

Ride 2 years then think about the dream bike.

Spend the big money on gear. That often saves a new rider more than the thrill of owning a new bike.

Welcome!
Thank you. Appreciate your response!

That seems really low for those bikes and a new rider. Are you old?
I found Co-operators to be substantially low compared to others. I got quoted 195 by Desjardins and TD and 115 by co-op .. dropped to 86 once I moved away from North York to Mississauga and now at 71 after one full year.

I've been treated very well by Honda in Milton if you want a referral.
This might work for you for more than a year
1718927479139.png
They've hit a sweet spot for beginners and even would be desirable for ancient riders like me downsizing, low weight, lowish seat, decent fuel range and reasonable seating position.
You might find a new one for the same money as the 500 is being released or try bargaining down ...especially for a few hundred in free gear,

Back
Top Bottom