Question about high km SV650 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Question about high km SV650

Looking into buying a 2002 SV650 but I see one with 53k on it. I know the engine can last 100k if taken care of, but what kinda things should I be looking for before putting my $$ down?

Looking into buying a 2002 SV650 but I see one with 53k on it. I know the engine can last 100k if taken care of, but what kinda things should I be looking for before putting my $$ down?

whats the price for this thing?

as for what you should be looking for?

the simple answer is EVERYTHING, from chain/sprockets to rotors. At those kms the bike has been used quite a bit. It can however still have some life left in it or could be a scrap of metal.

I know of a V-Strom (same engine) with over 200,000 km on it. The number on the odometer is not an issue. The overall condition of the bike and its maintenance history and how well it starts and runs, matter more.

Whenever I buy an old bike, especially one with high kms, I assume at the very least that the following has to be done, even if the owner says they were taken care of:

1. Rebuild carbs
2. Replace spark plugs
3. Bleed brake lines
4. Change oil
5. Change coolant
6. Change fork oil

I also check valve lash depending on when I buy the bike and how badly I want to ride it.

Assumingn you do the work yourself, the only cost of the inital service would be carb cleaner, two spark plugs, brake fluid, 3 quarts of oil, coolant and fork oil. ~$100 worth of stuff after taxes? If your not planning on doing your own work, it might not be a great idea to get an old bike to begin with.

A guy I work with has a 2004 V-Strom 650 with 150k on it. Not as much as Brian's but still impressive. If the bike has been maintained well you should be OK.

whats the price for this thing?

as for what you should be looking for?

the simple answer is EVERYTHING, from chain/sprockets to rotors. At those kms the bike has been used quite a bit. It can however still have some life left in it or could be a scrap of metal.

most i see are around 3k to 3500.

years ago i bought a nice gixxer then i found out after a few months that it might have been raced. even for the nice ones sold at a dealership, it can be hard to tell just what you're getting.

most i see are around 3k to 3500.

years ago i bought a nice gixxer then i found out after a few months that it might have been raced. even for the nice ones sold at a dealership, it can be hard to tell just what you're getting.

why get something with such high mileage when for a 1000-1500 more you can get a bike much newer with 1/5 the mileage like this one.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-bikes-2009-Suzuki-SV-650s-W0QQAdIdZ452148684

1000-1500 might seem like a lot, but replace the rotors, do a valve clearance, chain/sprockets and you're basically at 1000+ and you still have a 11 year old bike with high km...

Was it in good shape? Did it run well? Did it continue to provide good service for a long time afterward?

My spare FZR400 was an ex race bike. I bought that in 2000 and have put 30,000 km on it since (a lot of which has been at Deals Gap and surroundings). No issues whatsoever.

Race bikes generally get much, much more frequent oil changes and other maintenance than street bikes, and if there is an issue with brakes or suspension, it gets sorted out straight away instead of being neglected. 'Course, it can get rolled up into a pile of shrapnel, but that kinda shows.

I agree with paul, a set of tires and some work add up quick on parts. For the money the link he posted is better value.

why get something with such high mileage when for a 1000-1500 more you can get a bike much newer with 1/5 the mileage like this one.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-bikes-2009-Suzuki-SV-650s-W0QQAdIdZ452148684

1000-1500 might seem like a lot, but replace the rotors, do a valve clearance, chain/sprockets and you're basically at 1000+ and you still have a 11 year old bike with high km...

Back
Top Bottom