odd transmission situation | GTAMotorcycle.com

odd transmission situation

Alex Dee

so i got a 87 fz750 and i was riding it to school this moring, but when downshifting between 3rd and 2ed. the rpm droped to idel (as if it were in neutral but it was not) then without touching anything the back tire locked up as if it caught 2ed. It was a unexpected suprise but what does this mean? do i need to adjust my shift pedal?

-thank you

It means you hit a false neutral. It means you didn't get it all the way into 2nd before letting go of the shift pedal and letting go of the clutch. As for whether this means your shift pedal is not in an ergonomically good position to allow you to comfortably change gears ... only YOU can make that judgment.

Shifting technique matters, too. When changing gears (in either direction), keep applying light pressure on the shift lever until you have let out the clutch. The sequence is: pull in clutch, apply pressure to shift lever (and KEEP applying it), let out clutch, let go of shift lever. Very quickly, of course, But the important thing is that it is NOT: pull in clutch, move shift lever and let go, let out clutch. That's a recipe for missed shifts.

Back
Top Bottom