New Yamaha generators | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Yamaha generators

While it is probably a good idea as so many people are dumb, I want my generator to be dumb and work when I want it to work. I do not want to be troubleshooting sensors when it is cold and dark. CO sensors in a house are only good for seven years. Does that mean this generator has a seven year lifespan? Or replace sensor every seven years? Don't replace sensor and it continues to run but may not sense? Don't replace sensor and your generator refuses to run until you replace it?

While it is probably a good idea as so many people are dumb, I want my generator to be dumb and work when I want it to work. I do not want to be troubleshooting sensors when it is cold and dark. CO sensors in a house are only good for seven years. Does that mean this generator has a seven year lifespan? Or replace sensor every seven years? Don't replace sensor and it continues to run but may not sense? Don't replace sensor and your generator refuses to run until you replace it?

if you are that concerned about the co2 lifespan, lots of people just buy a regular old battery powered CO2 detector and keep it near the generator. you can replace it anytime you like.

As for that feature on the yamaha? this is nothing new, champion and honda have offered this feature for a while now.

if you are that concerned about the co2 lifespan, lots of people just buy a regular old battery powered CO2 detector and keep it near the generator. you can replace it anytime you like.

As for that feature on the yamaha? this is nothing new, champion and honda have offered this feature for a while now.
I am concerned about how they deal with what I have told is inevitable poor performance. I haven't personally tested sensors to see what happens when they fail, nor how long before they fail. I like your idea better than something built in. Yamaha could give you one with each generator or even mount one in or on the generator. I have no issues with an audible alarm that can be disconnected. I have issues with an alarm that can control whether the generator runs without supporting documentation on how to deal with an issue that everybody says will happen.

I am concerned about how they deal with what I have told is inevitable poor performance. I haven't personally tested sensors to see what happens when they fail, nor how long before they fail. I like your idea better than something built in. Yamaha could give you one with each generator or even mount one in or on the generator. I have no issues with an audible alarm that can be disconnected. I have issues with an alarm that can control whether the generator runs without supporting documentation on how to deal with an issue that everybody says will happen.
If a sensor can blow a whistle or flash a light it can flick a solenoid without the need for a PhD in electronics to reset things. However it is easier for the manufacturer to mass produce a do-all circuit chip than hand wire a solution that can be fixed in the field with off the shelf components.

The other edge of the blade is the cost and weight of a device that had to be hand assembled.

This will be a CSA thing soon enough, its being bandied about. Too many folks running them on job sites , inside the building envelope , and home owners and cottagers firing them up "in the sunporch , that's ok right?"

This will be a CSA thing soon enough, its being bandied about. Too many folks running them on job sites , inside the building envelope , and home owners and cottagers firing them up "in the sunporch , that's ok right?"
What about the salamander heaters running on kerosene or propane ? A buddy runs a kerosene one outside and the fumes make me feel like I'm behind a bus.

I used to run a Honda one, leaving it in the back of the van. If the barn doors blew shut it starved itself but there wasn't anyone in the van.

I haven't personally tested sensors to see what happens when they fail, nor how long before they fail.

according to Honda:

"Further, the generator sensor system automatically tests itself and is equipped with a built-in warning, alerting the user to replace the sensors prior to end of life."

It appears they thought well ahead on this, and the sensor can be replaced :)

the unfortunate part, or not depending on view.
They had to put oil level sensors on small equipment , so you couldn;t start a new machine without oil, tip over sensors so they shut down if not level, now CO2 sensors
Its added a lot of cost to a lot of equipment , because we have a lot of dumb dumbs .

the unfortunate part, or not depending on view.
They had to put oil level sensors on small equipment , so you couldn;t start a new machine without oil, tip over sensors so they shut down if not level, now CO2 sensors
Its added a lot of cost to a lot of equipment , because we have a lot of dumb dumbs .

same could be said of cars, and other items

I think these are necessary and essential items. I'd rather my generator shut down because of low oil, then seize my engine.

also saves the manufacturer from stupid lawsuits and dubious warranty claims.

same could be said of cars, and other items

I think these are necessary and essential items. I'd rather my generator shut down because of low oil, then seize my engine.

also saves the manufacturer from stupid lawsuits and dubious warranty claims.
About 10 years ago a friend told me he was driving a company van with a brand new engine at 35,000 km. The person previously assigned the vehicle decide to do a myth buster on the need to change, and I think add, oil. He got the 35 Km before it expired.

I have to admit to neglecting the B&S motors on the lawn mower.

Back
Top Bottom