Need a good buck… | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a good buck…

Mad Mike

I installed a digital speedo on an old Yamaha QT50, originals and clones unavailable.

Need a small 6v to 12v buck up transformer just for the speedo. Only need half an amp at 12v.

Anyone know where I can find one of these?

I dunno about good, but I found this. At least it's cheap? Amazon.ca

Honestly my first thought is taking the speedo apart and figuring out what it is stepping 12V down to internally.

I installed a digital speedo on an old Yamaha QT50, originals and clones unavailable.

Need a small 6v to 12v buck up transformer just for the speedo. Only need half an amp at 12v.

Anyone know where I can find one of these?
Try searching for boost or step-up instead. Buck lowers voltage, boost raises it.

I can look. I have a box of them that iirc could work voltage wise but they are bare pcb so you would probably be better served by a weather proof packaged solution.

I dunno about good, but I found this. At least it's cheap? Amazon.ca
That’s it! I guess I have to up my game when it comes to searching in the Jungle
Honestly my first thought is taking the speedo apart and figuring out what it is stepping 12V down to internally.
That’s above my pay grade. I could probably figure it out, but electronics are not my strength.

Hooking up 12v on one side and 6v on the other is in my wheelhouse.
I’ll try that ”step-up” and let you know.

Last edited:
I have some GPS speedos that happily run on a 9v battery, so far I have only tested them for 35-40 minutes... but if you don't use the bike often....

I have some GPS speedos that happily run on a 9v battery, so far I have only tested them for 35-40 minutes... but if you don't use the bike often....
My cheapie Amazon dash wont run on 6v. The gauge picks up turn signals, hi/low beam, fuel level off the standard 6v setup bit needs 1
EV to power up the display.

I’m putting the speedo on an 80 QT50. The charging system and battery are 6v.

A buddy gave me a step up 6 to 12 2Amp converter, I wired it to the panel and all is working.

Back
Top Bottom