Myers Cave Loop June 18 2024 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Myers Cave Loop June 18 2024

guzzirider

Departed Kingston at 8:30 to beat the heat.
21 degrees with some high cloud.
Typical mid week light traffic.

274 km
Mayers Cave1 copy.jpeg
Some roads that where shaded still had wet pavement from morning showers.
Pavement was fair to good with some spots rough from patching.
The 2.5 km section north of Henderson that was shown on the map as unpaved was paved but rough.
I use OpenStreetMap to check out road conditions in areas ignored by Google.
I have registered with them and update when I find errors.
The short section just south of Arden that was very rough has been re-surfaced.
Services north of 7 are far apart and the the planned food stop at Myers Cave was not available so continued on to Kaladar.
Highway 41 was starting to build traffic so I turned East at CR4 to Tamworth.
From Tamworth I rode Mountain Road, Fith Lake Road, Wagarville Rd to Parham and then south on 38.
Lilly pads are about to bloom and would be a nice ride when they do as there are plentiful small lakes on this route.

Mountain Road.jpg
That was my first time on this route with lots of corners and no traffic.
Myers Cave Link
I love roads like this on a hot summers day.
CR15.jpg

Any of my trips are available in .gpx or .kml format

And comming later is a 3 day trip including a stop at Newfoundout (that is not a spelling error)

Maybe! Maybe not!
See link

Maybe! Maybe not!
See link

Really interesting. So Myers Cave could exist and be nowhere near the area of Myers Cave the village. Look for a hatchet in an oak tree!

I’ve been to Actinolite a few times as I like the geological associations and also I think it’s one of Ontarios ghost towns. Never seen the cave there either though.

Good grief…I never knew this rubbish existed in Ontario but just doing a bit of googling on geology of Ontario pulls this up… ABOUT US

I think these people have watched the movie One Million Years BC once to often.

Good grief…I never knew this rubbish existed in Ontario but just doing a bit of googling on geology of Ontario pulls this up… ABOUT US
Takes all kinds of nutters...

Thanks for Myers Cave history -- passed it many times but was unaware of its history. Looking forward to your report on Newfoundout -- I've always been told to avoid that road. Where do I find the gpx files?

Last summer while following the Pickaxe loop I became a bit bored with the scenery and broke out my copy of Ron Brown's Ghost towns of Ontario #1. I replanned my route to take in a number of places that I'd always wanted to visit including Balaclava and Newfoundout.

The road to/past Newfoundout is OK. It's essentially a 2 track farm lane that splits and dead ends at a couple lakes. There's 2 slowly collapsing log buildings and a few depressions where other buildings once stood at the settlement site. There's also the remains of split rail fences along the road which I found cool as I thought about pioneer farmers building it on cleared land that is now back to bushland.

It can be found on Google Maps and is relatively smooth and an easy ride.

Thanks for Myers Cave history -- passed it many times but was unaware of its history. Looking forward to your report on Newfoundout -- I've always been told to avoid that road. Where do I find the gpx files?
Here are 3 .gpx files for a 3 day trip I am planning including a stop at Newfoundout.
I have not ridden some of these roads yet so here may be some issues.
Unless you are very confident or have a satellite phone on the trip into Nefoundout
It may be prudent to have company along.
As I understand the “road" in from the hi way is not maintained and may be on private property.
I hope to doing that loop in August.
I can also send .kml files.
I do all my mapping using Road Trip Planner (Mac only) and use MapsMe as a display on an iPad.

IMG_0191 2.jpg

Last summer while following the Pickaxe loop I became a bit bored with the scenery and broke out my copy of Ron Brown's Ghost towns of Ontario #1. I replanned my route to take in a number of places that I'd always wanted to visit including Balaclava and Newfoundout.

The road to/past Newfoundout is OK. It's essentially a 2 track farm lane that splits and dead ends at a couple lakes. There's 2 slowly collapsing log buildings and a few depressions where other buildings once stood at the settlement site. There's also the remains of split rail fences along the road which I found cool as I thought about pioneer farmers building it on cleared land that is now back to bushland.

It can be found on Google Maps and is relatively smooth and an easy ride.
Thanks. Sounds like my F750GS can handle it next time I'm up that way. (I'm in Ottawa and play in the Highlands.)

Here are 3 .gpx files for a 3 day trip I am planning including a stop at Newfoundout.
I have not ridden some of these roads yet so here may be some issues.
Unless you are very confident or have a satellite phone on the trip into Nefoundout
It may be prudent to have company along.
As I understand the “road" in from the hi way is not maintained and may be on private property.
I hope to doing that loop in August.
I can also send .kml files.
I do all my mapping using Road Trip Planner (Mac only) and use MapsMe as a display on an iPad.

View attachment 68822
That is quiet the setup with the ipad, you don't find it's distracting at all?

The picture was taken low and normally I look over the iPad with full view of the instruments.
When I am in rural areas I set the view size to show about 3-5 kilometers of route.
I only have to glance down infrequently to see if there is a direction change (intersection) coming up.
If I glance down and see that the arrow is not on the blue line I know I missed a turn.
In built up areas you can scale the map up to show individual buildings.
Gas stops and Tim"s are added as POIs and show up on the map as red (or other colour) dots.
MapsMe can be used as a standard automotive route GPS complete with anoying voice instruction.
Now That IS Distracting.

Back
Top Bottom