My first bike - Certification | GTAMotorcycle.com

My first bike - Certification

AmaRu

Hi everyone,

As you can see, I've been a very long time lurker. I've had my license for a few years but I just decided to purchase my first bike - 2000 gsx-r 600, great condition, I can't wait for the warm weather.

My question is about certification. On the ownership it says I must register the vehicle within 6 days of purchase, now what happens if I register the bike beyond said time period?

I don't have a problem registering it, the thing is, if I do that without a safety certificate the MTO will deem the vehicle "unfit" which will not allow me to get a 10 day permit and as a result my only option would be to have it towed to a mechanic. What are my options here if any?

Also, further to the topic of certification; the bike had HID's installed by the previous owner and I guess when he installed them he disabled the high beams. There is an on-off switch for the light but no high beams. Will I have problem passing the safety like this?

Thanks all in advance, I look forward to my first season with you guys/girls.

The 6 day transfer is a myth. I've changed ownership on bikes I bought over a year after purchase and there wasn't a penalty.

You don't have to register within 6 days, I've registered months after purchase. Just wait till its warm and insure the bike, go to MTO (with papers and policy number) get it registered and get the plate / temp sticker . That's what I've done with the 2 bikes I've owned.

As for the HID's Ted @ Rosey Toes will take care of you ;)

Last edited:
You can always leave the date off the paperwork until you're ready to register if it worries you

I've never had an issue after 6 days.

You will require operational high and low beams to pass safety however.

Back
Top Bottom