MX Boot size? | GTAMotorcycle.com

MX Boot size?

J_C_K

Hi All,

Just bought a pair of Gaerne Fastback Enduro boots - hoping to do some trail riding this season on my DR650 (but nothing too intense).

Issue is... they are a bit snug in the toe cap (i.e. my toes scrunch up if I kick the floor, and there's some pressure on the inside forefoot), and around the ankle.
Wore them around the house for 2h without any obvious hot spots, but that's obviously a lot different than bouncing around in them while trail riding.

Wondering if it would make sense to go up a size to the 46 (purchased a 44.5)? These in turn felt a bit loose, and had a pressure point when forward flexing I tried the SG12 in size 45, which felt perfect, but for whatever reason the supplier isn't importing this size Fastback into Canada.

I come from a ski background, where tight = good, if you're trying to get a performance fit. But you can always punch out ski boots if hot spots emerge.
Doubt you could do the same with the Fastbacks given the liner. Also, they are mostly plastic, so I don't think they'll break in enough to make a significant difference in comfort.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

If they don't feel right, I would do something about it. Can you wear thinner socks? Can you change thickness of bed liner? You could change the shape of the plastic if it was a big issue but it won't be simple and may look like hell if the plastic discolours where it stretches.

I have trouble finding footwear that fits well. When I do, I am happy but it's normally expensive. My personal experience is in general Sidi and BMW fit my feet. I have tried on a lot of gaerne and like them for protection but they didn't feel right for me.

Many riders buy off euro websites as there is more availability and often better pricing than domestic stores.

When I buy off road boots I get a bigger size and add thick socks. They're not made for walking so I'm not so worried about their performance in that respect regarding hot spots. At the same time I've never had a problem using this approach.

From my experience potential and actual foot/ankle injuries came from hitting a stump/rock, and ankle twists from getting my foot caught or crashing awkwardly.

I also wouldn't worry about forward flexing. I want impact protection, some torsion resistance though not so much that it transmits all of it to the knee and limited flexing, as well as a fairly stiff sole.

Back
Top Bottom