MTO DriveON Safety Inspection Updates | GTAMotorcycle.com

MTO DriveON Safety Inspection Updates

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
Just commercial vehicles for now but a major rejigging of vehicle safeties and Motor Vehicle Inspection Stations (MVIS) . First notice was early May, new system starts July 15 and is Mandatory by Aug 1. I won't be surprised if passenger vehicles and bikes also get a new program. If a shop does heavy duty and light duty inspections, light duty also falls under the new program as of Aug 1.

Text stolen from someone on facebook with a colloquial description of effect of new system.

"Huh I just got off the phone with our mechanic Always On Call apparently as of August, there will no longer be on site yearly safeties on trailers/trucks they have to be brought into an actual shop because they have to start taking pictures of everything and have a visual of the actual mechanic that’s doing the safety. They must have a new computer system and connected directly to ministry. They are the ones thar Will issues safety. Pictures will have to be taken throughout the safety as requested."

Basically mechanic is supposed to fully document condition and include themselves in the file and then MTO issues the safety. I'm not sure if someone at MTO reviews the submitted info before issuing or if it is some form of audit trail. In any case, it should grossly change the quality of dump trucks in Brampton as it shouldn't take long to black flag a few thousand certificate holders rubber stamping scrap metal.

Finally the gov is growing some balls and putting more rules in place.

Our rules about vehicle safety etc have been a joke.

But only time will tell if this is really effective and if there are any loop holes.

No complaints about this from me.

This is only worring for those that want to fly under the radar.

But only time will tell if this is really effective and if there are any loop holes.

I agree about the commercial crap. If everything is being inspected at least yearly, how are 30%+ of inspected trucks getting plates pulled for so many defects that have obviously been around for a long time. This mostly cleans that up (if implemented well) as mechanic can't argue that defect wasn't present on date of inspection.

I still think a revision not far in the future will include per km road tax (and possibly even a weight factor in the tax). That brings EV's back into paying for roads (and they pay more than ice as they are heavier and do more damage).

Since you must use the ministry provided tablet, it wouldn't be too hard to include a mandatory OBD scan or picture of odometer in the submitted file. That avoids most funny business in gaming mileage.

Since you must use the ministry provided tablet, it wouldn't be too hard to include a mandatory OBD scan or picture of odometer in the submitted file. That avoids most funny business in gaming mileage.
I agree. Maybe this is just the beginning and there are more things to come.

But than again, I'm sure Brampton can figure out a way around it.

I've got no issues keeping my vehicles safe, but I do have issues with being held hostage for unnecessary work. That's why I only ever took my cars to emissions testing centers that did NOT also do repairs. If this new requirement comes to passenger vehicles, I hope they also offer the same choice, but I doubt it - because anyone can be trained to perform an E-Test, while a certified mechanic is required to inspect for safety.

I agree. Maybe this is just the beginning and there are more things to come.

But than again, I'm sure Brampton can figure out a way around it.
A picture that includes the mechanics face and odometer would be funny. Hard to use a printed image of odometer, hard to manipulate photo after taking it (assuming tablet/software is well designed) and easy enough to track down the mechanic doing funny business. Easy enough to disable odo between visits to the shop though and that is far harder to track (possible on most light passenger vehicles through OBD but I don't think commercial has the same ability). Maybe part of the commercial submittal includes elogs and vehicle info so if elogs show more mileage than odo, trucking company can expect a painful inspection.

I've got no issues keeping my vehicles safe, but I do have issues with being held hostage for unnecessary work. That's why I only ever took my cars to emissions testing centers that did NOT also do repairs. If this new requirement comes to passenger vehicles, I hope they also offer the same choice, but I doubt it - because anyone can be trained to perform an E-Test, while a certified mechanic is required to inspect for safety.
I agree. Mandatory recurrent safeties are a license to print money. Facility doesn't even care if they piss you off by trying to extort you as they will have an unlimited supply of new customers. The only protection could be if government doesn't allow that crap and uses the big stick on those that try but I have little faith in government looking out for me.

While the Ford government can be "inconsistent" at times this makes little sense to ever be extended to non-commercial vehicles as...

They removed emissions testing
They removed plate renewal/sticker fees
They just made plate renewal automatic
I just don't see them then now making everyone go get a yearly or biennial safety inspection???
Never mind that developers don't do safety inspections so it won't hook them up!

Commercial vehicles, that is a different game and a needed change IMO in how and what.
But is it true Fords will be excluded? /s

The current MVIS system is backed by legislation in the HTA, right? Will new legislation be required to roll out DriveON?

The current MVIS system is backed by legislation in the HTA, right? Will new legislation be required to roll out DriveON?
Question mark. Existing mvis legislation is repealed on Jan 1/25. Didn't bother finding a replacement nor how this changes in August. There may be some more useful info in whatever new legislation is taking over.

Another comment from Facebook. Not sure of validity. Seems plausible.

" photoproof of every measurement. Brakes lining, drums, inner and outer pads if you have disc, odometer, front of truck, compliance label, then the defects lol"

As expected, it's a cluster. Shops were supposed to switch to new system by Aug 1 but many haven't received the tablets from parsons (dedicated tablets as opposed to an app is a failure all on its own). After media got involved, deadline was pushed back a month. No comment on how far behind parsons is. This was pretty simple, there are x inspection stations in Ontario, they all need at least one tablet and there is a deadline. No real excuse as to how you screwed up that roll-out.

New question: Is this yet another sad tale of sole-sourced procurement?

Back
Top Bottom