Motorcycle engine rebuild shop - West of Toronto - Recommendations ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle engine rebuild shop - West of Toronto - Recommendations ?

zx6r_98

Hi, I'm looking for a shop that rebuilds motorcycle engines. Would like to get into engine modification on sort of a project bike.

Thanks you !

Z1 cycletech is in etobicoke. They have built engines for some CSBK competitors and have a decent reputation. He was one of the only guys in the gta that would tune the yoshimura empro on my old trackbike.

Z1 cycletech is in etobicoke. They have built engines for some CSBK competitors and have a decent reputation. He was one of the only guys in the gta that would tune the yoshimura empro on my old trackbike.
Zed is gone.

Try John at Motorcycle Enhancements in Oakville...he gets good reviews in my FB groups...

Shops with qualified mechanics that are known to me:
Pro 6 Cycle www.pro6cycle.com
Acme Motorsports www.acmemotors.ca -> This is Craig Atkinson, who has been around this business for a long time.
Fast Company Motorcycle Service You Can Depend On. Performance than Wins! -> This is Scott Miller, who has been around even longer.
Sibs Powersports Machine www.sibspm.ccom

There are certainly others. Those are the ones where I personally know the people involved. They each have their own specialties.

Now ... Question ... What do you want to do, on what engine, and why. This sort of thing can get really expensive really fast.

I've taken engines apart and put them back together ... but I don't build superbikes for Jordan Szoke.

I do my own engines ...
I do too...
I KNOW my engines better than ANYONE, but they're mostly weirdo vintage stuff... like the '71 T100R transmission I am currently rebuilding, that NONE of the shops listed so far would have a clue about.
... or the next motors in line are 3 RD400 3J7s (the Canadian model that is different from every other RD400... well except for the Australian model). The only shop listed that would recognize what they were looking at would be Bondi (YES, I am excluding Pro6 from that list. If it was a more modern TZ, Sandy, and ONLY Sandy, would be on the list. If it was a steel framed TZ... NOPE)

There is NO point recommending a shop TILL we know WHAT motor OP needs done.

So far the only hint is by creeping the original poster's profile for activity in recent posts.

If this is for a 2007-2008 Yamaha R1, last generation before cross-plane crank, then any of the shops in my list could technically do it, although I'd lean towards Fast Company or Sib's, because they have at least some in-house machining capability. KMM HOME is another possibility and they have been around forever and are well regarded, although I've never dealt with them personally. The others will be sending out all but the most basic machining work.

So, to original poster ... what do you want done, to what engine, and why.

Note to Brian P: I have the same question. My bike is a 2003 Triumph Sprint ST with only 34,000km that consumes almost 1.5l of engine oil per 1000km. In spite of the consumption, ran well for last 4000km until it suddenly ran only on 2 cylinders. Haven't checked plugs or engine compression yet. No leak, no smoke. Presumably piston ring or valve seat issues. Not all shops are keen to work on older Triumphs. Could take it to Sturgess but the overhaul cost would likely be more than the bike's value given hourly rate. Any recommended shops for this service?

The list above remains valid. With that much oil consumption, I would expect severely coked-up piston rings and combustion chambers and probably consequential damage. The FIRST step, which you should do yourself, is to remove and inspect the spark plugs. I betcha they are badly carboned up and that's why it's not running on all cylinders. Compression and leakdown tests, and a look down the spark plug hole at the cylinder walls using a bore-scope, would be suitable next steps for diagnosis.

If it requires disassembly, it's unlikely to be an economically viable repair if you have to pay someone else to do it. Rob, counter guy at Pro 6 Cycle, has owned older Triumphs and at last check, still has one.

Pretty sure Denny at twin season recreation does engine overhauls. His shop is in Georgetown. He has been around ever since the racers edge days.

Bingo - how many $$$ were you figuring on spending ? In all likelihood it would cheaper just to find a junkyard motor.
Thanks for your note. Probably very roughly $3,000, with most of that being labor. Not sure how I'd be able to confirm a junkyard motor is in better shape. Bike up for sale for $2950 no takers. Just thinking that to buy an equally attractive sport-touring bike would probably cost me $8k. Any junkyards better than others?

The list above remains valid. With that much oil consumption, I would expect severely coked-up piston rings and combustion chambers and probably consequential damage. The FIRST step, which you should do yourself, is to remove and inspect the spark plugs. I betcha they are badly carboned up and that's why it's not running on all cylinders. Compression and leakdown tests, and a look down the spark plug hole at the cylinder walls using a bore-scope, would be suitable next steps for diagnosis.

If it requires disassembly, it's unlikely to be an economically viable repair if you have to pay someone else to do it. Rob, counter guy at Pro 6 Cycle, has owned older Triumphs and at last check, still has one.
Hi Brian, thanks for your reply. Given the oil consumption, one would expect the plugs to be fouled? There was no erratic running before dropping on two though. Even if I get it running on all three again with new plugs, it would likely just be a matter of time until they foul again. Had the impression that the left side header got hot significantly slower than the other two. Kind of a pity to part it out, but labor at $120 plus per hour kills it. Just hoping some independant mechanic who charges less per hour wants a winter project...

Thanks for your note. Probably very roughly $3,000, with most of that being labor. Not sure how I'd be able to confirm a junkyard motor is in better shape. Bike up for sale for $2950 no takers. Just thinking that to buy an equally attractive sport-touring bike would probably cost me $8k. Any junkyards better than others?

Pull the spark plugs. Keep track of which one belongs to which cylinder. Take photos and post them here (1) side-on so that we can see the condition of the electrodes and the gap, (2) end-on looking into the business end, (3) obliquely about 30 degrees up from photo 2 because I want to see what the side of the inner ceramic looks like.

Back
Top Bottom