MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions. | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MacDoc's new ride MT3..naked bike questions.

Magnetic tank ring sounds a treat but cannot find a link.
Got a GIVI part?? TIA

Not sure SW Moto has service in Australia

I've got one of those coming it's the magnetic one I'm interested in or am I reading that wrong
I think it's just a regular quik-lock for certain bags .....does not work with magnetic bags :(
Screen Shot 2024-10-12 at Oct, 12    2024    11.31.21 AM.jpg

I've got one of those coming it's the magnetic one I'm interested in or am I reading that wrong
I think it's just a regular quik-lock for certain bags .....does not work with magnetic bags :(
View attachment 70337
No it DOES NOT work with any magnetic bag

In fact it only works with the newer style bags from SW-Motech.

There is a previous generation (EVO) that is discontinued and the rings and bags are not interchangeable with the new bags/rings (PRO)

EDIT:

I just looked at the SWMotech AUS site and the Pro Ring is NOT listed under your bike (2017 Yamaha MT-03)

However they do have an option to mound a tank bag onto a Pillion seat using the ring. There are various size bags available to be used. Could even use one as a laptop bag.
1728697629862.png

EDIT #2.

There is a PRO ring bag available for your bike.
Part number TRT.00.787.30501/B

1728697759269.png

Here is a list of PRO ring compatible bags.

1728697854951.png

1728697879242.png

Last edited:
Already going that route with a 6L GIVI,
1728697318939.png
Was hoping it might be an actual way to use magnetic bags as it looked chunky enough to house powerful magnets.
Screen Shot 2024-10-12 at Oct, 12    2024    11.31.21 AM.jpg
I actually have four powerful magnets coming and see if I can attach to the plastic tank.
Screen Shot 2024-10-12 at Oct, 12    2024    11.48.11 AM.jpg
but I might just buy this compete set up - I can always return it. I have 6l now for my small tank bag so 5.5 likrl close enough
Screen Shot 2024-10-12 at Oct, 12    2024    11.45.22 AM.jpg'
Screen Shot 2024-10-12 at Oct, 12    2024    11.52.35 AM.jpg

Last edited:
The magnets in the rings are actually only there to help guide the bag onto the ring, into position and also open up the tabs so the bag can click into locking position.
You can literarily throw the bag onto the ring and it will lock itself in place. The magnets are not what is holding the bag in place.

The SW-Motech bags are great and the locking system is even better.
The only thing that could make them even more better would be if the rings were universal and could be transferred from bike to bike.

You can always transfer the bag from bike to bike but more often then not, you will need to buy a new ring when you change bike.
If you are one to hold onto a bike for a long time, that's not a huge issues, but if you are are like some of our resident ballers, then it can get pricey in terms of rings. But then again, they are ballers for a reason.......

Barring some gerontology breakthrough this is my last bike ...I'm 77 and creaky.
At least the GIVI rings are cheap.

I'm sure you are doing better then most 77 year olds.

The Givi ring does not have any magnets in it. Its a plastic ring that the locking mechanism on the Givi bags locks onto.

You slide the red tab (on the left) to the side and the red tabs on the inside of the circle retract and hug the ring that's mounted on the fuel tank.
1728700585586.png

Thinking about it now, you can probably just purchase the ring and the Tanklock part (pictured above) and attach it to your existing bag with 4 small mounting screws and use as your own custom set.

Available by itself on Amazon.CA

Wondered about that. Should work - the 6l magnetic tank bag owes me nothing.
The down side is the gear inside is heavy and expensive. :unsure: Wonder how secure the screws are
Ah no screws supplied as it is supposed to be a replacement part but might still work...maybe more fiddling and risky than I'm happy with.

Wondered about that. Should work - the 6l magnetic tank bag owes me nothing.
The down side is the gear inside is heavy and expensive. :unsure: Wonder how secure the screws are
Ah no screws supplied as it is supposed to be a replacement part but might still work...maybe more fiddling and risky than I'm happy with.
What is the bottom of the bag like?
Is there a firm layer of some type of material to stiffen it up?
If not I would try to find some thin piece of plastic to stiffen up the bottom of the bag. (cut it to shape and size of the bottom of the bag) This way they screws of choice would not just be securitizing the bags nylon material to the locking mechanism. Instead they would squish the bags material between the plastic piece and the locking mechanism. I would also try to use some wider washers under the screw heads the spread the pressure of the bolts.

I dont think it will be too much fiddling. But than again, I like doing this kinds of stuff.
Looks like it is available in AUS as well.

Amazon does have a very forgiving return policy.

There are two layers ( the magnets are inside the layers and pretty tough but I'm riding with no windscreen and that will sit right up in the windflow which on occasion can hit 140kph into a headwind.
Lot of stress
I recall my kid hitting near 200 kph on his FZ8 and watching his magnetic tank bag start to lift off ( was watching in the rear view mirror ). That bike was naked or near as.
He managed to recover okay.....one hand on the bag and slowing down. We had a laugh but could have been dangerous.
I'll see how that Amazon bag is constructed ....there are some others, Hepco and Nelson Rigg. The latter are really well built and life time warranty but looks like no quickconnect.

Hepco does tho
1728702574092.png
Like the look . Lots of choice but on the expensive side

Back
Top Bottom