Is there money in it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is there money in it?

Jinster81

Banned
Hey all.

Just wondering about the relatively recent hype about scrap metal collecting. Is there enough to make a living? (obviously not a killing - I know that). How does one get started? What does he need? If you have experience or in the business, please share your insights. As always thanks to you all.

your best bet is try to get car cats. I had 4 benz cat converters ihad changed on a s series,and the scrap guy gave me 350 for them, he probably made 500 or more but, ya get a beat up truck and goto mechanic shops and buy their scrap metal

Most shops wont sell their scrap. Converters are good,but most people know they're worth something, sp you have to pay for them. My brothers average volume auto shop, cashes in around 18k worth of used converters each year. Imports are always more valuable because they have more precious metals in them. Like anything you have to find out what you can get for it first. Try going to your local recycler/salvage yard and see what they're paying per tonne. That would be a good starting point.

Sort of on topic I am looking for a place that pays to take aluminum? I've got a couple sport bike frames without titles I need taken away.

Sort of on topic I am looking for a place that pays to take aluminum? I've got a couple sport bike frames without titles I need taken away.

You're going to have a problem with that.
If it is identifiable as a vehicle the scrap yard is going to want an ownership. It is the law.

I used to work for an automotive parts distribution company, the scrap metal business was and is big $. For us the biggest $ came from the radiators, some were copper, some were aluminum. We made them for automotive and industrial use
some weiging hundreds of pounds. cha ching

You're going to have a problem with that.
If it is identifiable as a vehicle the scrap yard is going to want an ownership. It is the law.

They are obviously not useable frames. They were bought with the usuable front ends attached because the seller didnt want to spend the time taking it all apart. No title one with no one (I have two). Both damaged to a write off stage.

you still may have an issue. i tried to get rid of a rusted out model t frame, and it took a long time to find someone to take it.

i have an add on kijiji offering to pay/take scrap metal. takes a day out of my week, and i make some money. i do it more as a hobby than anything.

There is money to be made but there is also a lot of competition making the margins tight in many places. The value of scrap is getting well known and a lot of shops etc. are either taking it in themselves or they are asking for $$$s for you to take it away.

I know a few people who do it, they get a lot of material by patrolling the streets on garbage day looking for metal people have tossed or left at the curb. They also have standing contracts with shops with a revenue split deal from the material.

What I find interesting are the number of cars I still see for sale for <$300 given that is what you will get for scrap weight in most cases.

There is lots of money to be made if you can get the metal. My dad has done scrap cars for the past 10-15 years and at his peak would pull in upwards of $1000 a day!! yes a day!
he only did scrap cars with his tow truck, but it was good money! now because the metals have gone up so much in price, you have every tom, dick and harry doing it and paying huge money got the scrap.
my dad could get away with paying very little to keep his profit margin high, but now has to pay top dollar just to get a lil profit.
needless to say, he recetly has sold his tow truck due to this.

Your frames are not really worth any thing. They are not clean aluminum.
To get rid of them, legally, you will have to cut them up.

To get top dollar for scrap cars they have to be conditioned. No fluids,batteries, tires. Some yards only accept conditoned vehicles.

Back
Top Bottom