Info about August 3 crash near Bancroft? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Info about August 3 crash near Bancroft?

MarkR

I'm a journalist (and rider), preparing a column for The Globe and Mail about motorcycle safety. Can anyone provide any details of the fatal accident that happened near Bancroft on Aug. 3? The investigation is still going on, so police aren't saying anything, but it involved three bikes and a car on Hwy. 28, and two riders were killed.

I don't think anyone here has inside information. There were two crashes near bancroft in close proximity (Aug 3 and Aug 7). Good luck. I appreciate you trying to shine light on the situation.

Thanks. I've spoken with the surviving rider from the second crash, so I think I'm clear on those circumstances, but the first crash is still a mystery. It seems to be older riders, but OPP isn't even providing ages.

Eventually, the complete and formal written report of every fatal road accident in Ontario is required to be filed with the Ontario government and each report is available - for a fee - to any person who requests it.
AFJ

Eventually, the complete and formal written report of every fatal road accident in Ontario is required to be filed with the Ontario government and each report is available - for a fee - to any person who requests it.
AFJ
Good to know. But I do wish that these types of reports would be available free of charge, and easily available (obviously remove names / identifiers).

I would like to read those types of reports to gain insight into the causes / findings of the crash to hopefully prevent the same in the future.

Good to know. But I do wish that these types of reports would be available free of charge, and easily available (obviously remove names / identifiers).

I would like to read those types of reports to gain insight into the causes / findings of the crash to hopefully prevent the same in the future.
it's probably printed, so they're charging for supplies etc.

That's fine. But an online version doesn't require that, and can easily be implemented.
almost spit out my coffee.

don't you work for the government??

That's fine. But an online version doesn't require that, and can easily be implemented.
No government likes data easily accessible. That shines the light on "speed" being the factor in almost every crash when that is a stretch at best in many. For instance if you are 5 km/h over and someone runs a red light doing the speed limit and hits you, crash stats show speed was a factor. No it bleeping wasnt. Running a red light was the only relevant factor but speeding tickets raise a lot of money.

No government likes data easily accessible. That shines the light on "speed" being the factor in almost every crash when that is a stretch at best in many. For instance if you are 5 km/h over and someone runs a red light doing the speed limit and hits you, crash stats show speed was a factor. No it bleeping wasnt. Running a red light was the only relevant factor but speeding tickets raise a lot of money.
pretty much.

most like to keep things trudging along as slow as people will put up with it, creates excellent job security.

We have those things in whitewater paddling and climbing (rock, ice, mountaineering). I believe the aviation community does so as well. Annual compilation and publishing of fatal incidents. They (if I remember correctly) are privately put together by associations and/or publications and done for professional stakeholders and any interested public, so that hopefully we all learn something about how not bodge things up next time they go sideways, and thus reduce the incident rate.

Motorcycling is a natural fit. Maybe some EMS org or otherwise is doing something, somewhere…?

I'm a journalist (and rider), preparing a column for The Globe and Mail about motorcycle safety. Can anyone provide any details of the fatal accident that happened near Bancroft on Aug. 3? The investigation is still going on, so police aren't saying anything, but it involved three bikes and a car on Hwy. 28, and two riders were killed.

FYI

Kawartha Now Community is reporting on Highway 28 safety issues. Apparently local mayors are coming together to lobby the Provincial government about safety / accident concerns and changes to 28 to address this.

They might have info, or be able to plug you into someone who does.

If your bike wasn't in your locked impeneterable garage, the fact it was on the road makes it a factor.

We have those things in whitewater paddling and climbing (rock, ice, mountaineering). I believe the aviation community does so as well. Annual compilation and publishing of fatal incidents. They (if I remember correctly) are privately put together by associations and/or publications and done for professional stakeholders and any interested public, so that hopefully we all learn something about how not bodge things up next time they go sideways, and thus reduce the incident rate.

Motorcycling is a natural fit. Maybe some EMS org or otherwise is doing something, somewhere…?
I see these things daily, not fatal, but crazy stuff, sometimes up to and more than ten incidents a day. believe me you. some of the stuff would make your head spin

Attached is the only detailed public report that I am aware of that examined in detail all the individual police reports from each fatal motorcycle accident that occurred over a year or more and attempted to determine common factors and draw conclusions. It was funded by a $4,000 grant from a provincial road safety fund and done by a small committee of concerned motorcyclists.
AFJ

Attachments

• Ontmcaccidents1990-91 copy 2.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I was there and it was awful.

A couple weekends ago when I was up in Calabogie, I met a tow truck driver up there who was helping someone. We got to talking and he mntioned her was the tow operator who arrived on scene and had a fair bit of details. He was also hte same tow operator who arrived at the other incident up there and many other prior. I know he was a tow operator for CAA too. Perhaps find out who the tow company is and see if you can speak to their staff.

Back
Top Bottom