Horses and motorcycles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Horses and motorcycles

It's cool that they measured it in injuries per hour instead of the typical injuries per km. Injuries per km gets messed up by modes of transportation that cover very few km (walking, horse, etc).

As for skiing 0.6 injuries per 1000 hours of running moguls seems ridiculously low to me. My guess that is because of the relatively low speeds. Tons of blown knees, broken legs, knocked out skiiers but not serious injuries. EDIT: Actually, reading further into the study, the skiing number is BS. The rate documented is 2.91/1000 days. They assumed that a day was five hours of skiing (based apparently on nothing). Based on what I have seen, new skiers on rental equipment have a crazy high percentage end with a toboggan ride off the hill. Probably similar to new riders. They can get going fast enough to exceed their ability easily and have crap situational awareness. Study does not mention moguls at all, that was added by the driving.ca author. Crap reporting.

I have to agree. When i see people, especially kids riding horses, i get nervous. Riding any animals for me is a no-go

We rode occasionally when I was a kid. Just about every ride there was some incident of a person falling off, horses taking off, giving someone a nip or, my favorite, an 800 pound beast rubbing your leg against every tree we passed.

Walking dog food.

We rode occasionally when I was a kid. Just about every ride there was some incident of a person falling off, horses taking off, giving someone a nip or, my favorite, an 800 pound beast rubbing your leg against every tree we passed.
My favorite horse story was a stereotypical Asian guy on a horse in Mexico. Guide kept telling the guy to be assertive. Rider ignored instructions amd focused on taking pictures with their SLR. About 30 minutes into the ride the horse walked out chest deep into the ocean and laid down. Rider and camera got dumped into the ocean, horse got up and continued on without him.

Walking dog food.
I went to a camp that got horses for the last summer of their lives, they were technically owned by their final destination and loaned to the camp. There was a really big one that I liked and it cooperated with me but it bit others kids and bucked a few off. That one left in the trailer midweek. :(

A bunch of us did a group ride. One horse was determined to get back in the barn resulting in a cartoon dismount by the rider as he was scraped of the horse's back by the door frame.
One of my wifes favorite memories is her little brother on a horse and the horse decided to bend down and eat out of a garbage can. Her brother ended up head down in the can with legs kicking. I'm not sure if he ever got on a horse again.

Meanwhile in the trauma unit they are asking the jockey when he will be getting back on a horse and telling the motorcyclist to grow up and leave those dangerous things behind...

once i almost wiped out on my bike going over horse **** while turning on spadina!
I bought my motorcycle boots from a rider that slid into a ditch because she hit horse poop in a corner in caledon or somewhere north of the city. My buddy also wiped out in a corner due to horse poop in a corner.

Good deal on the boots for me.

grew up on a farm, we had horses. I have zero problems getting on or off a horse, they just need to know who is in charge.

I do cringle when tourist riders that have only seen a horse in a brochure .

Dont judge the horses temperment by size , our 2000lb Percherons were like giant Labrador retrievers , big slow, happy. A 1,000 lb throughbred can kill you.

A bunch of us did a group ride. One horse was determined to get back in the barn resulting in a cartoon dismount by the rider as he was scraped of the horse's back by the door frame.

Father grew up on a farm, lots of horses. On one ride (I'm about 10 BTW) my horse was very difficult, would not obey reins, bolted a few times. Switched horses with my dad. Horse immediate rises up on 2 back legs, dad holds onto the reins and the mane, waits until all 4 legs are back on ground, slides off the saddle and while holding the reins punches the horse on the side off the head and then remounts............ Guide rides up screaming "you can't hit a horse" and dad tells him his horses are out of control. No issues with that horse for the rest of the ride.

Father grew up on a farm, lots of horses. On one ride (I'm about 10 BTW) my horse was very difficult, would not obey reins, bolted a few times. Switched horses with my dad. Horse immediate rises up on 2 back legs, dad holds onto the reins and the mane, waits until all 4 legs are back on ground, slides off the saddle and while holding the reins punches the horse on the side off the head and then remounts............ Guide rides up screaming "you can't hit a horse" and dad tells him his horses are out of control. No issues with that horse for the rest of the ride.

Old joke about a guy selling a mule and he tells the buyer to treat it kindly. When the buyer complains the mule won't budge the old seller shows up and thumps the mule over its head with a 2X4. The buyers says "You said to treat it kindly"

Yeah said the seller but first you have to get its attention

My dad did some rodeo stuff in his youth, he taught me to ride. At 8, got my first taste on a friend's Honda Z50 - from that point on riding a horse was about as fun as pushing a doll carriage. I did have fun once, a few years back an east German calvary rider took me on a short ride on a calvary trained horse -- that was a thrill.

The animals are majestic. I find the owners are often snotty. I run my dog in the equestrian-friendly York regional forests from time to time, equestrians always scream at unleashed dog owners - I just smile and move along with my well-mannered unleashed dog.

My dad did some rodeo stuff in his youth, he taught me to ride. At 8, got my first taste on a friend's Honda Z50 - from that point on riding a horse was about as fun as pushing a doll carriage. I did have fun once, a few years back an east German calvary rider took me on a short ride on a calvary trained horse -- that was a thrill.

The animals are majestic. I find the owners are often snotty. I run my dog in the equestrian-friendly York regional forests from time to time, equestrians always scream at unleashed dog owners - I just smile and move along with my well-mannered unleashed dog.
Meanwhile their beast takes a huge shat right in the middle of the multi-use trail and they pretend their *&^^ doesn't stink. No excuse not to stop and shovel it into the woods other than they are uppity pricks.

Meanwhile their beast takes a huge shat right in the middle of the multi-use trail and they pretend their *&^^ doesn't stink. No excuse not to stop and shovel it into the woods other than they are uppity pricks.
Yes, I don't get that. A horse can drop a steamer anywhere they see fit with impunity. No scoop laws for them.

Back
Top Bottom