Getting rained on. Is it bad? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting rained on. Is it bad?

mychasiw

Is there any serious issue with leaving a bike uncovered while it's raining out for any length of time?
What problems could come up on a bike that gets rained on for the past 3-4 days?
I have yet to buy a cover for my 400 Ninja, and it has been raining for the past few days.

Anyone?

The elements accelerate wear. Sunlight, humidity, over a long period of time time they degrade plastics, rubber, paint. Protecting the bike from the elements is important over the long term, but you won't notice the difference from just a few days of exposure. Same is true for cars BTW.

Well, rain is acidic and if can cause severe damage to your bike! OMGZ!

Just kidding! A few days shouldn't be bad, being rained on is ok, but water does dry out parts. For example, even though grease and water don't mix, water can be used a vessel to transport grease away from things that need greasing.. like your chain! So lube your chain once the rain stops!

Rubber can weaken if saturated in water for a lengthy period of time. Once the rain stops, I would give it a good wash with regular water to get rid of any acidic contamination from rain on rubber and paint. Then a nice dry and you're set!

This is probably a stupid question, but...

Are there any parts of a bike (with the engine exposed, like a cruiser) not "water proof"? Would one be able to just blast away with a pressurized hose, for example?

I was told by various mechanics to NEVER user pressurized water on bikes. If you are concern with how clean it is, put some elbow grease to it. Rain should not cause an issue for the most part.

bikes are made of sugar and melt in the rain.

Really? *checks outside office window*

:confused1: uh oh...think the 125 looks more lowered! :eek:

High-pressure washers are hard on gaskets, and will easily blast grease out of wheel bearings etc.
You never need more pressure than your finger on the end of a hose.
A bike is generally as waterproof as a dog.
They'll be just fine in the short term, but much prefer to be dry and warm...
A light summer cover (~$40 bucks) doesn't need to be 100% waterproof, however it will keep your bike nice and clean underneath, even if the cover is wet.
The British have been riding in the wet for decades.
It puts somewhat unique pressures on the development of the bikes' design, ie. light, nimble and balanced with smooth torque delivery at low RPM, good ground-clearance, narrower tires w/ deep tread, etc...
Perfect for our climate this spring!

Back
Top Bottom