Electrical Issue | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electrical Issue

ryareg

Hey guys,

I've just installed led turn signals on my 2010 ninja 250 and have a problem. When I put my turn signals on, both turn signals (all four lights) go on and stay solid. There is no indication on my cluster that the turn signals have went on either. I did not install a relay, however, I have tested it with my buddies and they blink but all four lights blink at the same time. I dont have hazards on my bike and have tripple checked all of the wiring.

Any ideas on fixing it?

Regards,

Ryan

Does your bike use double-filament bulbs in the front? Did you put the right type of LEDs there?
Just checking...

The problem is that the indicator on the instrument cluster on your bike is simply connected to both sides of the circuit. If there is a difference in voltage (i.e. one side is in the "flash" cycle) the power from that side illuminates the bulb on the cluster and leaks to ground through the non-illuminated side. The current that it takes to illuminate the indicator on the instrument cluster is not enough to illuminate the normal bulbs on the non-lit side.

But when you replace all with LED's ... the current that they draw is so low that the leakage current through the instrument cluster bulb is enough to illuminate the LED bulbs on the wrong side and still drive that side almost to full battery voltage, thus not allowing enough current to pass through the instrument cluster bulb to illuminate it.

Only way you can fix this is with a load resistor on each side of the circuit to give the current from the instrument cluster bulb someplace to leak to ground. With the stock flasher relay, you'll need that in order to get the correct flashing frequency, anyway.

Does your bike use double-filament bulbs in the front? Did you put the right type of LEDs there?
Just checking...

Hey El Zilcho,

I'm not too sure what kind of LED's I bought. I did not know that there were different kinds. I bought some Japanese ones for $20.00 from ebay.

Ryan

The problem is that the indicator on the instrument cluster on your bike is simply connected to both sides of the circuit. If there is a difference in voltage (i.e. one side is in the "flash" cycle) the power from that side illuminates the bulb on the cluster and leaks to ground through the non-illuminated side. The current that it takes to illuminate the indicator on the instrument cluster is not enough to illuminate the normal bulbs on the non-lit side.

But when you replace all with LED's ... the current that they draw is so low that the leakage current through the instrument cluster bulb is enough to illuminate the LED bulbs on the wrong side and still drive that side almost to full battery voltage, thus not allowing enough current to pass through the instrument cluster bulb to illuminate it.

Only way you can fix this is with a load resistor on each side of the circuit to give the current from the instrument cluster bulb someplace to leak to ground. With the stock flasher relay, you'll need that in order to get the correct flashing frequency, anyway.

Thanks for the info. Any idea where I can buy the load resistors? Is this a simple hook up or should I send it to the shop?

Thanks,

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom