EBC brakes | GTAMotorcycle.com

EBC brakes

oioioi

Site Supporter
Whats the opinion on EBC brakes? Double H syntired model.

I found a good deal on new brakes but I figured I would ask for opinion before I commit.

Are OEM a better option.

I didn't like them on my Harley, they worn out way quicker then OEM.
But I heard you can get different grades/quality levels of pads from them.
As always nothing is easy.
Good luck!

I installed the double H front brake pads on my f800r and I liked their feel.

Just changed the rear pads on my Tiger and decided to go with EBC organic. I haven't noticed a difference from OEM pads.

Last edited:
Not a fan of EBC after using the Green Stuff on one of my cars and the Double H on my 998. OEM was way better in both cases for initial cold bite and feel. I don't know how the OEM 2007 CBR1000RR pads are, but my front end came with Vesrah VD-JL's and I love them and can't bring myself to try anything else.

HH Sintered is very nice for the price. Very good initial bite and good enough life. For street use, including spirited riding you will not have any complaints. You may end up needing more brake cleaner though.

Brake pad brand questions are like oil threads, everyone has an opinion, not a lot of hard evidence.

On the ST forum there are many high mileage bikes and lots of opportunities to try various pads. EBC pads were often less expensive than OEM, were more aggressive, but rotor wear was an issue for some. Overall, longer term, cost of rotors offset any savings on pad cost.

How many km do you do a year? How long do pads last on your bike? What is the thickness of your rotors now vs. new? Try a set of EBC pads and measure wear after a full season and compare to OEM stats.

Other comment heard about EBC is that pad width may be slightly wider than OEM. If your rotor(s) are worn there may well be a slightly raised portion on the outer edge of the rotor where the OEM pad does not swipe and this could cause vibration when braking if using a wider EBC pad.

I found a set for front and back for $50 total. New unopened.
With all the opinions, I figured it can't hurt to try them.

That's 1/3 of the price of retail.

Thanks for the input but keep the convo going.

Buy them! I’ve always used them and found them fine.

I would guess 90% of people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between diff pads anyway.

No real preference in pads, OEM usually works well with OEM parts.
EBC makes... er ...SELLS good rotors, some of the best readily available, better than OEM usually.
EBC knows brakes.

EBC has a 330mm rotor for "old" TZs... COOL, I want some. Canada is serviced by EBC-USA. EBC-USA doesn't stock that part number. EBC-Britain has the part, can't sell it to me, I'm in Canada... round and round we go... I ended up making some.

If you put metal pads on OEM rotors, expect rotor wear (with no real gain). IMO Stick to organic, ceramic lasts longer... doesn't work better, just lasts longer
... the word's SINTERED, which means metal. H is aggressive, HH is VERY aggressive ...BUT at 1/3 the price? They're going on my bike. $20 bucks is $20 bucks... nothing lasts forever

On my KTM 790 duke, I had the ebc HH sintered pads put on when I swapped to galfer rotors due to the OEM rotors warping. That was at around 10,000km. I'm at 54,000km and i'll be swapping out the pads this winter. There's still meat on the pads but not much.

I would guess 90% of people wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between diff pads anyway.
I'll tell ya it's one of those things that difference between: the very best and NOT the very best, isn't much... all things being equal (< let's get ahead of that interweb argument NOW)
We spend way too much time and effort on "BEST"

Some guy from William's Racing: "Our quality ranges from PERFECT to almost not PERFECT"

Consider Brembo SA/SP pads as well. I got mine for a good price from "Genial Motor"

I'll tell ya it's one of those things that difference between: the very best and NOT the very best, isn't much... all things being equal (< let's get ahead of that interweb argument NOW)
We spend way too much time and effort on "BEST"

Some guy from William's Racing: "Our quality ranges from PERFECT to almost not PERFECT"

I refer to this as the "law of diminishing returns" and, IMO, it applies to just about everything I do or am involved in.

You can do a job to 95% in 5 hours, for example, but attaining 100% may well take you another 10 hours. Most often than not, that last 5% value is not worth the incremental resources required to achieve it + everyone involved gets completely PO'd by the process.

Back
Top Bottom