Dock strikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dock strikes

Ah yes... the ol Jimmy Hoffa style of negotiations
... we call that extortion

This guy HAS to go away. There is a vid of an interview with him saying (I'm paraphrasing) "You can't have an economy without us. Screw around and find out"
NOPE

Ah yes... the ol Jimmy Hoffa style of negotiations
... we call that extortion

This guy HAS to go away. There is a vid of an interview with him saying (I'm paraphrasing) "You can't have an economy without us. Screw around and find out"
NOPE
If you read the article it's not just about money, it's also about job security in the face of increased automation.

Last edited:
If you read the article it's not just about money, it's also about job security in the face of increased automation.
What happens when the robot drops your container ? Too bad, so sad...
Job security just because a role was once required is a race to the bottom. IIRC, every piece of construction equipment over a certain weight that operates in NYC requires a full-time union oiler left over from steam days. Wtf. And then we wonder why everything is so expensive.

If robots can do the job faster/cheaper/better, they win this round. Arguing that the slower/more expensive option is better just because it once was is stupid. Now, I am not saying robots are better, I have no idea. It sounds like the union is fighting the ideology and fears having their monopoly/smuggling operation broken. It's a lot harder to misplace a container that is moved around by computers than when humans are involved. Sure, someone can program the container to go to a certain location but that is fully tracked as to who and when ordered it and/or looked it up.

As for dropping the container, do you think the union or workers pay if they drop a container? All shipping is too bad, so sad.

If robots can do the job faster/cheaper/better,
They can and they do
There are now container yard were the only thing us humans do is monitor the equipment.
No place for a dumb longshoreman.

I don't if the STILL do, but Vancouver docks had a rule that if a seacan was destined withing 100miles of the dock, it had to be "de stuffed", unloaded on the dock. (they'd take the stuff out of one can and put it in another... which quickly morphed into sitting beside the can for 4 hours and doing nothing... and getting paid for it)
Kinda negates the "containerized transport", and is just a make work project for Vancouver longshoremen... which is why most seacans going to Vancouver get unloaded in LA, and trucked... it's cheaper.

I don't if the STILL do, but Vancouver docks had a rule that if a seacan was destined withing 100miles of the dock, it had to be "de stuffed", unloaded on the dock. (they'd take the stuff out of one can and put it in another... which quickly morphed into sitting beside the can for 4 hours and doing nothing... and getting paid for it)
Kinda negates the "containerized transport", and is just a make work project for Vancouver longshoremen... which is why most seacans going to Vancouver get unloaded in LA, and trucked... it's cheaper.
At that point, it seems cheaper to setup something like shippsy 101 miles from the dock. If the driver happens to get a change order before arriving at shippsy, whoops, things happen.

I saw the video and it is 100% extortion. From the comments (Reddit) it seems that this union is the only thing stopping any source of automation.

The USA/Canada docks are also controlled in a manner that automation is being blocked, unlike the rest of the world.

Now…one of those identified reasons is because the docks are mafia/organized crime run so they can control incoming and outgoing materials…take that as you will as Reddit…

They can and they do
There are now container yard were the only thing us humans do is monitor the equipment.
No place for a dumb longshoreman.

How do you get a new big screen if the can never gets open?

Surprised this didn't pop up here earlier. Didn't our dock workers try to strike and got quashed, I guess the Americans can't influence themselves on their own turf? Lets see how this disrupts things...

If they don’t like automation, take away their climate controlled tow motors, replace them with pump trucks.

Back
Top Bottom