Do you ride in hot weather? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Do you ride in hot weather?

If I've got a choice, no.

It depends on how hot though. If I break out in a sweat just walking outside or it just feels oven-like then I'll take the truck. A day like today, I'm on the bike.

I spent a career working outside, and know what heat stroke feels like. Dehydration and heat stroke can creep up on you quickly, and riding on a hot day, on a hot road WILL dry you out.

Yes.

I have a mesh jacket, pants and gloves + vented boots. Stay hydrated and keep moving.

Just finished a 3 hour ride to Kawarthas from Mississauga. 407 until Brock Road then backroads. 28C and about 35C with humididty. Hot, but not too bad.

My personal limit is about 35C+ with added humidity. At those temps the pleasure of riding if offset by the discomfort.

Watch those tar snakes. After 3+ days of high temps they are very plastic and the bike moves arounds a bit in corners.

I try not to as any ride I do that's not 'fun' due to weather / traffic etc just frustrates me more and I don't enjoy it as much.

Plus as my bike is air cooled...it gets effing hot sitting in traffic.

Weird thing happened once when I let it idle on a hot day and then lost my clutch, brakes, and all hydraulics. Had to turn bike off, wait a few min, and all was good again. That was 10min of idling while waiting for a train at Mississauga Rd north of Brampton.

I try not to as any ride I do that's not 'fun' due to weather / traffic etc just frustrates me more and I don't enjoy it as much.

Weird thing happened once when I let it idle on a hot day and then lost my clutch, brakes, and all hydraulics. Had to turn bike off, wait a few min, and all was good again. That was 10min of idling while waiting for a train at Mississauga Rd north of Brampton.
You were to close to Brampton and the bike sensed it and punished you...

With a water-cooled bike, I always debate whether I should shut it off or let it idle to keep the water pump going.

Strange that just a few minutes with the engine off cured it. Maybe consider switching to clutch/brake fluid with higher boiling point?

With a water-cooled bike, I always debate whether I should shut it off or let it idle to keep the water pump going.

Strange that just a few minutes with the engine off cured it. Maybe consider switching to clutch/brake fluid with higher boiling point?
Def an option. But I learned my lesson. Next time I see an extended stoppage, I'll just shut it off.

I try not to complain that it's too hot to ride, because the next thing you know, it's snowing. A mesh outfit makes a huge difference in keeping you cool - the more you sweat, the cooler you feel while moving. You can also choose a route along the lake for cooler temps, or stop for a Slurpee and brain freeze.

Yes. Why wouldn’t I?

Hydration, mesh gear and cardio exercise makes it easy.

Y'all are tougher than me. I sweat standing still on days like we've had for the past few.
i do too... but it's like... "no riding when too cold, no riding when too hot... no riding most days of the year then?"

once we hit april i avoid transit like the plague to get to work so ill tough it out

i do too... but it's like... "no riding when too cold, no riding when too hot... no riding most days of the year then?"

once we hit april i avoid transit like the plague to get to work so ill tough it out
You forgot raining. Lots of people won't ride in the rain. Hot/cold/wet/windy/bugs days blocked out and you are down to the day in the spring when you polish it and get it ready for the season and the day in the fall where you polish it and put it away for the winter.

This is very strange...and concerning!

Why would heat affect it I wonder...

This is very strange...and concerning!

Why would heat affect it I wonder...
Ya…what @Relax said. I believe the heat off the engine heated up the hydraulic fluid so much that it became much more viscous than it should be…and effectively lost its hydraulic properties.

Once cooled off, the properties returned and it acted properly again.

But I hated thermodynamics so there’s that…

Back
Top Bottom